Your Turn: Take a Mesh Buddy with You to a Dr. Appt

May 28th, 2014 | By | Category: Your Turn

Stethescope  wikiThis Mesh News Desk reader has an important point… do not go to a doctor’s appointment without a person who understands mesh complications and is on your side. Also check the doctor’s notes to make sure they match yours.  Thank you reader!

Jane,
One more thing I think this is important.  I know so many of us have had the same problems with doctors offices noting things that are untrue and maybe it is just a genuine mistake.  I starting bringing someone with me to my appointments.  Can we legally record our doctors appointments?  This would be great for the women that cant have someone with them.  And it would keep everyone honest and on the same page.  It would also protect the women in a lot of ways from these bad doctors anyway.  These little mistakes of theirs create big problems when women are filing for disabilities and have litigation.   Just thought maybe you would post that thought to the ladies.

13 Comments to “Your Turn: Take a Mesh Buddy with You to a Dr. Appt”

1. I am available as a patient advocate in Dallas to accompany mesh-injured women to their appointments. No one should go alone!

2. Lynn says:

A fellow mesh victim gave me some good advice….Remember to sign a release for your records before you leave the doctor’s office and have a copy given or mailed to you for each visit. And, I have posted this before, get a copy of your doctor’s office records as well as the hospital records if you have any kind of procedure.

Love this idea…. All medical notes, nurses notes, copies of what is sent to the insurer for reimbursement… they all belong to you! thank you for the ideas… great suggestions…..

3. pam says:

This is so true, I was on the phone friday with a doctor that does mesh , and his office, when I asked how many he mesh the doctor had removed. I explained that I had gone through 1 surgery of lies and deceiving and I cannot go through anymore lies and cruel treatment , I told her about the sarcastic remarks I got from the doctors that did my mesh implant, and she laughed in my face, I ASKED HER WHAT WAS SO FUNNY, ANOUT WOMEN THAT HAVE SUFFERED FROM INFECTIONS AND PAIN, AND CRUEL TREATMENT, i EVEN GOT IT FROM A EMERGENCY ROOM THAT ALSO KNEW i HAD MESH IMPLANT, BUT WOULD NOT TOUCH ME OR EXAM ME, IT HAS BEEN HELL BECAUSE OF THOSE IN MEDICAL, WE ARE NOT WANTING TO GET THEM INVOLVED, BUT ABOVE ALL WE WANT TO BE TOLD THE TRUTH, NOT DiSTORTED TRUTH, PROVOKED TO ANGER,. I HAD TO TELL A COUPLE OF DOCTORS AND NURSES THE METAL THEY HAD IN ME WOULD NOT FEEL THE MESH PROTRUDING OUT IN ME, but they knew it. to get the metal out of me and exam me, I DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING CONTAGIOUS, OR CATCHING AND THEY HAD GLOVES ON, THAT WAS THEIR JOB, (THINKING ABOUT THE DOCTOR THAT TOLD THE DAUGHTER OF A MESH MOTHER SHE WAS IGNORANT) THEY CAN ALSO TAKE THEIR MIND GAMES TO PRISON , CONS PLAY MIND GAMES, NOT GOOD PEOPLE, THAT ARE TRUE TO THEIR PROFESSION, TO BEING AMERICA’S BEST!
    jANE i am sorry if I sound harsh, but so tired of this dragging, when I need more test, and in more pain, not knowing if the severe pain now is because mesh has moved again, confirmed again only by urine test, bleeding and infection on going for over 5 years now. and not an exam! dreading the long trip to doctor, but the even the last urologist would not exam me, why ? I NEED TO KNOW HOW THE MESH HAS MOVED IN THE LAST 2 YEARS, SINCE ATTEMPT TO REMOVE IT. i try to warn women of doctors still doing mesh to not have it done, if there bladder leakage needs repaired , mesh is not the answer for any woman, it stops your life and destroys it. I am alive and thankful but living NO, this is not living, at all, not knowing what pains are the mesh moving and cutting inside , and WHERE? NO ANSWERS! THIS NEEDS TO STOP.

4. pam says:

JANE ANYTIME YOU WANT ME TO FAX MY PROOF , of doctors that said it wasn’t protruding, and doctor admitting it was protruding, 1 once admitting the mesh sticking out , the colleagues told her red flags were on me and she could not see me ever again. talk about a mental trip of medical and stress , IT IS A WONDER ANY OF US HAS HELD UP EVEN MENTALLY. SOMETIMES IT IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY IN THEIR RECORDS OF LIES AND DISTORTED TRUTH IT IS WHAT THEY DO NOT HAVE IN THE RECORDS OF WHAT TRULY HAPPENED! AND WHAT WAS SAID. IT IS CALLED THE TRUTH , THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, NOT ALLOWED . DISTORTED TRUTH COURTS THROW OUT AND THEY KNOW IT.

I’ve heard too often that records are falsified, they say something that didn’t happen, that the patient didn’t say or report they did something they didn’t. We all used to trust doctors without a doubt…. good ones still exist I believe…

• pam says:

NAME SOME! I even called to a doctor mentioned on this web site, that says he removes mesh but still does mesh.
        The receptionist when I asked questions of how many successful removals had he done, , I got no response, when I went into details of why I ask questions and trust for me with those in medical is gone, even told her the sarcastic remarks and lies I got, she laughed in my face, I got ugly, I said what is so funny about women suffering and being treated cruel, maybe dr ——- needs to replace you, and your sadistic sense of humor toward women damaged for life. also was told I would not be seen, unless they got doctors records, that I had seen with mesh, I said but the lies and distorted truth they wrote, I have those, I want this doctor and his words, not their influence of lies and cruelty not wriitten, I want his test, not for him to stand with lies of his sorry colleagues, as what I have gotten since mesh implant.. we cannot get a second opinion and god forbid we ask questions.. I AM SO SICK OF THESE IN MEDICAL , EVEN SORRY BOARDS OF MEDICAL DO NOTHING, LIKE THE DOCTORS AND NURSES THAT LIED ARE SAINTS.

5. msm says:

The good ones are still out there but finding them is getting more difficult. Here’s an example of the debate and the insanity.

Doctors Debate Transvaginal Mesh Risks, Benefits at Urology Meeting

Here you have a doc claiming mesh is the worldwide standard because it is minimally invasive and only takes 22 minutes. Yet his own data shows 90% of his patients complain of pain. Amazing! He can’t understand why mesh slings would be any worse than polypropylene used for hernias and sutures. Geez.

First, there ARE problems with other applications of mesh AND there’s a difference that some male “doctors” can’t get through their heads: sexual intercourse creates friction between the delicate tissues trapped between the mesh, the penis and all of the other muscles, ligaments and bone in the pelvic region. This results in repeated trauma to the tissues especially in the tissues of post-menopausal women. Let’s face it, if there wasn’t any pressure and friction, men wouldn’t be very happy. Would they? I guess some still believe that sex is something women should accept as their responsibility to their “man” and we complain too much whether we have mesh or not.

But this article also includes arguments from two other docs that have the intelligence, professionalism and GUTS to call him out on his own stats. I love that it is pointed out that when the mesh is removed, it is replaced with fascia. Why not use fascia to start with? Yes, the fascial sling takes longer and requires harvesting fascia from the abdomen or the side of the leg. But I spent 4 years in pain and then have under gone revision, removal, and then a fascia sling. Wish I’d had all the information to make an informed decision to start with.

To compare fascial sling versus mesh:

Physically for the patient, longer time under anesthesia to place the fascial sling is minor compared to the toll 3 surgeries and multiple years of pain take on the body and mind. (not to mention the permanent scarring and remaining mesh that can’t be removed). There is an additional incision on the lower abdomen causing a bit more pain and a little longer time for that to heal. But again, that is minor compared to 3 surgeries and multiple years of pain. Let’s talk about infection. Is there higher morbidity or failure from infection with the fascial procedure? I don’t think so. Infection associated with the mesh often remains in the mesh necessitating removal and it may remain in any mesh that cannot be removed. Infection with the fascial sling is normally eradicated with antibiotics.

Physically for the surgeon, fatigue and working on two surgical sites is an issue with the fascial sling. It also takes more skill and training for the fascial procedure than for the mesh (and we’ve seen the results of mesh “training” offered by the mesh manufacturers)

Financially for the patient, the cost of the fascial surgery (considering OR time, extended anesthesia, higher surgeon fees, and an overnight hospital stay) is offset by the price of the mesh product and the cost of future corrective surgeries and treatment.

Financially for the surgeon, longer OR time for a fascial sling equals fewer cases per day than with the 22-minute mesh. If the mesh has to be removed later, then he can charge a fee for that surgery as well. Don’t forget the years of office visits while he tries to convince you it’s all in you head. (This is not true for most ethical surgeons who subscribe to the Hippocratic Oath)

This is how I see it as a patient who has paid the financial, physical, and mental price for a mesh sling failure, years of treatment, and a later fascial sling placement. Much of this is pretty obvious. I’m sure there are other factors to consider. Feel free to add them.

6. jade says:

“Kennelly and Rovner praised the fact that sling surgeries are minimally invasive, requiring only a small incision, and that the surgery can be done in as little as 22 minutes.”

This is exactly what ALL mesh-docs are telling their patients. I learned, unfortunately too late, that the term “minimally invasive” refers to the entry route of the surgery, not to the classification. TVM and Sling surgeries are considered “major surgery” and NO ONE, nor doctor, should ever diminish that fact! I canNOT believe that articles such as these are NOT censored AFTER the travesty that these surgeries have caused. I still contend that this is a CRIMINAL cash against all manufactuers and knowing surgeons! These doctors have forgotten their OATH – “First Do No Harm.”

7. jade says:

I think the manufacturers and doctors took their que out of history. This special on is a National Geo documentary of an untold story of experimentation. Suspect doctors and the manufacturers should take notice of the words of
    John Donne, Meditation 17, Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, Circa 1624

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thine own
    Or of thine friend’s were.
    Each man’s death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

8. marie says:

omg! can someone help me !! I’ve been in pain with this for years, been to several docs, tried many things, she keeps saying its not from the sling and I know it is !! I have had several surgeries and it has been cut but its still in there. the things I amdealing with are terrible pain with intercourse and constant burning even though when I dont have an infection (or they say I dont have one) and I always seem to have an odor even though I am very cleanly down there !!! ,I cant take this pain and burning much longer and I cant seem to find a doc that knows how to treat this stuff !!!! or even believe that I even need a treatment. I dont know what to do.