Sheri Ragan Still Suffering from Biologic Hernia Mesh

Feb 3rd, 2012 | By | Category: Hernia Mesh Injuries, News, Patient Profiles

Sheri Ragan

Sheri Ragan is playing the waiting game – waiting for a hospital in Ormond Beach, Florida to decide when and if it will take Medicaid so she can have an infected biologic mesh implant removed by the doctor of her choice. At 42, Ragan still doesn’t know how she ended up with six years of pelvic pain following an inguinal hernia repair, first with synthetic mesh, then biologic mesh made from cadaver skin cells following a hysterectomy she apparently didn’t need.

Here is her story:

“In May of 2006, I had bilateral inguinal hernia repair open technique. The surgical mesh used is a material made by Ethicon, a Johnson & Johnson Company, it’s called Prolene Hernia System.

“A month later I was back in to see my surgeon with the same pain I’d felt since the hernia patch was put in. He told me I didn’t have a recurrence and to get my ovaries checked out since the pain was coming from that area.

“I went to my gynecologist and after multiple tests she decided to do a full hysterectomy. The pathology report from my hysterectomy showed nothing. There was no evidence that I should have had a hysterectomy. My pain has not diminished since the hysterectomy.”

Ragan and her doctors thought either the Prolene hernia patch or the hysterectomy would have addressed her pain, but neither did. Her general surgeon in Saginaw, Michigan suggested she give it more time. When that didn’t work, he suggested a “little boost” in the form of some nerve blocks.

“I had two on the genital femoral nerve and one on the ilioinguinal nerve. The first one on the genital femoral nerve worked for almost 2 weeks.  The block on the ilioinguinal nerve did not work at all. I got my operative reports it said at the time he put the mesh in he took out my ilioinguinal nerve. I didn’t know that. Imagine getting a nerve block for a nerve I didn’t have, and he had ordered it!”

Pain Like Electric Shocks

Ragan was 36-years-old. She had a new grandson, grown children and pain that emanated from the incision site shooting down the leg which she describes “like electrical shocks”. Most days she was in a chair or in bed, unable to move or work. All of this for a hernia that she had never felt, but was diagnosed when she initially went to her doctor for some hip pain.

“They said the pain was nerve damage from what, they didn’t know. I brought it up to them about the mesh as the source of pain. I asked about the possibility of meshoma (chronic pain from mesh implant) and it balling up at the end.   He said it couldn’t be the mesh, it’s effective, it’s hard to believe you are the one person in my career…I’ve never had this happen. When I brought up terms I had learned, that’s when he knew I knew something and he rushed me out of his office.”

Ragan says she kept digging deeper to find out more and her conversations with others told her she was not alone. Another woman in Saginaw had gone to the same doctor for a hernia repair, she also had complications following the synthetic mesh implant and is currently hospitalized with a bowel obstruction surgery. Her nephew had synthetic mesh implanted to treat a hernia and is still suffering complications. Yet another doctor, this one in Ann Arbor said he didn’t think it was the mesh. Sometimes you get chronic pain afterward, she was told. Live with it.

Mesh Complications?

Ragan says she became more convinced that the pain she was experiencing was the same as others she read about who had the same experience following a mesh implant – the same story, the same pain. Once again, she returned to her gynecologist who did the hysterectomy and she called in another doctor to look for symptoms of any mesh complication in the groin area.

“He ended up assisting and taking out a dime piece of mesh that was poking through my peritoneal. When I went back for my six week checkup I asked about removing it all. He said ‘I know how to remove the mesh, am I going to do it? No, because I’m not going to fix someone else’s mistake.’ He wouldn’t tell me what it meant. I was ready to cry and give up,” she says.

Once again not deterred, Ragan had a plan. She would raise the funds she needed to see Dr. Bruce Ramshaw, recommended by hernia mesh injured patient advocate, Bruce Rosenberg. Dr. Ramshaw was in Missouri and charged about $12,000 to remove hernia mesh. Selling her household goods she failed to raise enough for the surgery. So she turned to Plan B – purchasing a vehicle, Ragan went to see a doctor in Dearborn, Michigan who had removed a friend’s synthetic hernia mesh. She drove from Saginaw to Dearborn, had the mesh removed as promised at the Oakwood Healthcare System. But the surgeon there replaced the synthetic mesh with a biologic material called Alloderm, made from harvested cadaver cells.

Walk for Life

Ragan says she was on Cloud Nine for the first time in a long time. The doctor had removed her mesh and took pictures of it. You could clearly see it had balled up and was hard as a rock, she says. For the first time in a long time she was pain-free. Back in Saginaw, she participated in a Relay for Life cancer fundraising walk and enjoyed time with her grandson, Daniel, who she calls the pride and joy in her life.

Then the pain began again.

It started going downhill and the pain came back slowly. I went back to the Dearborn doctor and he said well, since this one didn’t work out I can’t help you anymore. The day after that, I ended up in the hospital emergency room for a suicide attempt. I took too much medication. I just wanted to go to sleep. I was so devastated. I thought I can’t do this again. There was no indication what was causing the pain and he said I should start back on pain management again.. All I heard was blah, blah, blah, ‘the rest of your life.’ ”

Sick and Alone

By this time, Ragan was alone. Her husband had divorced her. One of her three children was not speaking to her, another was angry because she couldn’t attend her high school graduation. With nothing holding her back, she moved to Holiday, Florida to live with her sister and to move closer to Dr. Ramshaw, who had now moved to Halifax Medical Center in Ormond Beach.

“I was going to get him no matter what it took,” she says.  Dr. Ramshaw has Ragan’s medical records and the hospital is now waiting to see if it will take Medicaid, the insurance she has with her supplemental SSI Disability, the disability she’s suffered since her initial prolene mesh repair.

“He tells me it isn’t 100 percent guaranteed and I understand that it will be my last resort. I’m in pain every day. If I walk too much and overdo it, there is a shooting pain inside of my legs, so I try to avoid that. I can’t sit up straight for a long period of time. I live close to a fishing hole and go there and sit back and relax. Other times I sit on the couch and play online or watch TV. There is not much I can do now.”

“I’m very mad, I don’t know who to trust anymore. There is nothing else that’s going to be in my body anymore, that’s for sure. What I don’t understanding is (her first mesh) it’s the same exact mesh used for vaginal prolapse. Why are the FDA warnings not for hernia patients like us? It’s hurting as many hernia patients as women for vaginal prolapse, there is a wider range of people because it effects both men and women.”

*Editors Note* Ms. Ragan had the AlloDerm biologic mesh put in after the Ethicon synthetic mesh was removed.  Developed by LifeCell in 1994 to be used in burn care and later in plastic surgery, the human tissue implant comes from donated cadaver skin cells that are harvested and processed to form a skin graft.  Biologic mesh was thought to be a safer alternative to those made from polypropylene, a petroleum-based product used in most synthetic mesh.

Problems arose in 2005 when LifeCell Corporation of Branchburg, New Jersey, had a lapse in internal quality processes after questions were raised about the donor documentation received from one tissue recovery organization.

That’s when the company issued a quiet, voluntary recall of its biologic mesh. The FDA notification is here.
Ragan’s Dallas attorney, Bill Curtis, says he has 40 to 50 of these cases and the complications arose when LifeCell’s sales reps promoted the off-label use of AlloDerm for internal use and hernia repair between the years 2002 and 2009.

“It sounds a little better than an artificial graft but if you’re going to stretch the mesh again to repair an overly stretch material, they reherniate and in the worst conditions cause infection,” he tells MDND.  Additional surgeries often follow an AlloDerm implant along with abdominal pain, disfigurement, a recurrence of the hernia, abscess, infections which can be life-threatening, swelling, and discomfort.

AlloDerm is no longer recommended for hernia repair.  #

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

54 Comments to “Sheri Ragan Still Suffering from Biologic Hernia Mesh”

1. Amy G says:

Wow, this is an important report I haven’t encountered anyone with biological mesh problems so I assumed these problems were unique to synthetic meshes. Sheri-Thanks for sharing your story, I hope you find meaningful relief soon!

2. EJH says:

I am so sorry that you’re going through this! Thanks for sharing. I understand some of your pain, since I am also stuck in bed most of the time. Movement causes pain. MEDICAL MESH IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR LIVE BEINGS! Hang in there, there are some caring Dr.’s and people out there that will eventually come up with a plan to help people like us who’ve been so injured. Praying it will be soon!

3. HI Sheri, your story is terrible but very common. Mine is bladder sling mesh and I have been suffering for 2 years. To get the word out about ALL mesh is an uphill battle. Lana Keaton has been battling the FDA for a very long time and still there are no recalls for all mesh products. It was eighteen months after my own surgery and I had been battling my doctor to believe it was the mesh, when the latest warning, NOT recall finally came out about bladder sling mesh. It was a very small slap on the wrist and did not go far enough. That is why I started a blog to inform and make women aware that this can happen to anyone. Everyone, those with hernia and those with sling mesh can do their part, even in a very small way. Start up conversations with strangers. If they are receptive, tell them a bit. Don’t overwhelm unless they ask more. You will be suprised at how many people have relatives who have been sick for a long time and do not know it is the mesh that is causing their illness. From tiny hills, mountains will grow. Believe me it is a big mountain! I know the life you led has been taken from you and you wonder why. There isn’t an answer. But we can change how we feel by helping others. It is our only reward.
    When Lana started fighting she was alone. Now there are many of us including the reporter who writes these stories. Together we can build that mountain and change this catastrophe, to stop others losing their healthy and happy life. Thank you for your story. Linda

4. Kathleen says:

Sheri
    This is so unfortunate that you have had to go through so much and have no progress to get out of pain and have somewhat of a normal life. I too was harmed by polyproplene mesh tvt-o. I had it removed completely and 6 months later my amazing surgeon did reconstruction using my own tissue. I truly think that is the key so it does not cause pain and you do not reject it. I pray that you will get the help you need soon. Don’t give up hope! :)

5. patricia says:

Dear Sheri,
    Thank you for sharing your story. Linda is right. The more people you tell the more will know. Heaven help the person behind me in an espresso line. They might hear more than they want, but you’d be surprised how many people listen with great interest and pass it on. I hope you get the care you need and deserve.
    xo
    Patricia

6. Cass says:

Love You Mom!!! Bring back the picture of my son Daniel and his grandma please, he loved seeing it up here. Thanks

7. Sheri says:

Thank You to all who have replied. I am so thankful to be able to put my story out there and VERY THANKFUL to Jane for her having this site. I urge everyone not to give up in their quest to find relief. It may be a long road ahead but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there, and if anyone wants or needs to talk, I am here for you. Trust me I do understand. Also it is important to report to the FDA about all the complications you are having. If you need help doing that I can guide you.
    Once again, a Huge Thanks to Jane for helping us get the story out so that we can get closer to get this stuff out of our bodies and off the market.

8. chas says:

who was your dr in saginaw mi going down the same road told to live with it

9. m Holland says:

my husband died from prolene hernia mesh blocked his intestine.

10. Tami says:

Kathleen,
    Who was your surgeon who did reconstruction using you own tissue?

11. Patty says:

Hi,
    My husband received the same bio mesh implant, he finally had it removed last Sept.2011 They replaced the Alloderm with the Atrium CQUR mesh, and that nearly killed him. Then the CQUR came out 8 weeks later. he is now suffering and disabled because of the damage done from the CQUR.

12. Elaine says:

Hello,

I’ve had 7 hernia surgeries. I developed MRSA from an ingroinal surgery. My surgeon had to remove all the mesh and the hardware in my hip. He told me it was full of MRSA. These hurnias and the MRSA have really effected my life. Hopefully there will be light at the end of my tunnel.

13. jerken says:

Prescription Drugs crib models recalled in the largest crib recall in U.S. history. Our Portland, Oregon-based attorneys are investigating failures of Bard Composix Kugel.

14. Victoria says:

Hi. Sorry about your problems. I live between Saginaw and Flint. I had my hernia mesh removed just days ago. I had the hernia repair 2 years ago and did fine for a year. Then the pain started. After a series of tests and such, my original surgeon said I either had problems from the mesh or a neuroma. He removed the mesh and didn’t mention a neuroma so I suspect that was the problem.

15. Todd says:

hi my name Todd from Albany I just hernia repair done in 09 they put praline mesh in me well it broke with in a day I ededup with a 103 fever and got an infection so they wanted to do surgerieagin they did and I ededup with an paring bag instill inpsin the baghasbeen removed got more hernias and I feell like killing myself buri. Want to sue praline for the hell they put me threw. Hostnuker@yahoo.com

16. Patrick Connelly says:

It’s a shame and a sham. Doctors and the industry are working hand in hand because of profits. Mesh is cheap and docs are rewarded well for using it; it’s easier and quicker to use than old standard; and they have thrown ethics and patient’s safety out over greed. Even paying settlements [kept low with help of Governmental law limits] they still coming out in heavy profit zones. So it’s no skin off their back, merely a small speed bump. You and I are the victims of the fallout. Yes I am one also, lost a testicle in less than a year and still looking for a surgeon to remove the mesh. Anyone know of one in the Columbus, Ga. area?

17. tina marie says:

I have hernia repair 2 times in 10 months, I just had the 2nd one done 2 months ago… now I have pain in my stomach like Iam being stabbed, if I walk for a while or just move the pain is there..

18. Debbie says:

It sounds like you just told my story, I am so glad your getting better it gives me hope Thank You

19. debra Minnie says:

Hello my name is Debra, I had multiple ventral hernias incarcerated 7 of them, and a total abdominal wall reconstruction back in 2006, also nerve and adhesion issues. I felt like my guts were falling out and was in pain for years I had Pryor abdominal surgery’s so my muscles were already cut through many times. I had Prolene mesh placed by Ethicon 12×12 size. I felt the normal pain after surgery and had the fluid removed 2 times in my belly that always still comes back, I told the surgeon and my family Doctor that my body is fighting this foreign material I have been sick with all kinds of symptoms, adominal pain, bladder issues, even heal pain, chronic yeast (oral) infections, nerve issues, bleeding from rectum a few times , pain with intercourse and more. Now I feel the pain is even worse and my guts feel like there falling out again I have made an appt to see a different surgeon this week I don’t know what I may hear but I need this mesh removed I feel like it has placed me in autoimmune disorder, I have RA and not sure what else is going on. This surgeon butchered me and disfigured my stomach leaving me with a large hanging pouch that also has ruined my quality of life. I need to talk with an attorney I think. anyway this has been a long living hell.

20. Avelina Cinotti says:

my abdominal pains are usually caused by bloating and indigestion, i better control my diet..

Take a look at all of the most interesting posting at our new web site

21. patrick wilson says:

Hi I live in Perth Western I have had two hernia repairs in four months both have failed leaving mewith blood poor
    poising a heart attack and have been left with a hole the size of a rock melon I think you call them cantaloupe
    As my wound dehisted or opens up apprx eighteen due to infection and my body rejecting both types of mesh
    IM truly sort for what y ou have sufferd I have for beautiful children and my wonderful wife is blind but I
    no longer feel like a man any more as I can’t work and provide for them like I did in the past the future for me
    looks bleak as I can’t hold my head up high any longer but I say to every one else having this surgery please
    take this surgery very serious as it can ruin your life. Thanks kindly

22. Julie Bott says:

Thank you Sheri… I thought I was going crazy. I too had the same surgery just a month after you did. I have been in and out of the E.R. due to nerve blocks. every time they do one i end up in the E.R. in so much pain. I went to pain management after a few appointments and nerve blocks. I was told to go back to my doctors and have them remove the mesh. Well I did just that only to be told they can’t or will not, they just want to cut my nerves. So I will not fill any more pain. Well the problem with that I will never feel any thing from my hips down to my keens. That;s not the way I want to live. I have a 14 year old son and the best husband in the word. I lay in bed in so much pain. I can’t hold down a job any more the pain comes when ever it feel like. I never know when it’s going to hit me. I have the prolene mesh I have a 4cm & 3cm on the right side and a 4 cm on the left side. So it is so painful I feel like i am being ripped apart. I am sick of the run around the doctors they don’t care just pay your bill and I’ll see you next month. Why is the prolene mesh safe for hernias it’s not safe but as the transvaginal ? Is it the same thing? it still does a lot of damage inside.

23. tracey eason says:

Ok this story and other stories I have read,sound just like mine,my last surgery was 4 years ago,i had a bowel upstruction,where he took out a part of my small colon&small intestine,stappled me up and I went home a few days later,after being home for almost 2 weeks,the staples on the outside of my incision were busting,and all I was doing was sitting down,so I got rushed to the er,by this time there was a hole in my belly button area the size of a quarter,i went 2 surgery right away,where the surgeoun repaired it,and stiched me this time from inside out,since then I have been on a night mare roller coaster,i will be 48 this September and I just want to get answrs,so tired of cat scans,blood test,urine test,then the doctor comes back and says your ok,you can go home,now mind you im leaving the er with the same amount of pain that I was in when I got there,which is at least 8 hours wasted,Im at my wits end withis,And its really affecting my every day life,I have pain every day,bloating in my stomach,to where I look 7 months pregnant,its very embarrassing to walk down the street,and people say oh congrats,I didn’t know you were expecting,,Oh gosh,I did have a mesh placed in the hole,then stitched from inside out,I think that the mesh is very twisted,and theres something going on,And all these test they do,they cant see it,Im not a doctor,Sure wish I was,Im going crazy,LITERALLY,This is so annoying,HELP SOMEONE PLS

24. Joe says:

I’m sorry to her of all this needless suffering and lifestyle changes. I would suggest going to http://www.miromatrix.com.of all the companies and the science behind them, the onky one that blew me away was miromatrix. They are starting to focus on mesh and hernia, using a bring new patented to develop and cleans tissue called, “Cellular perfusion.” That may not sound exciting or important at this time, trust me there new process producing mesh and cardiac values for example, uses the patients own DNA. This means the best revaculrization (meaning the body will bring blood and nutrients to the middle of the middle of the mesh… Not just to the sides or 80% of the entire mesh and size in the matter of hours). But the risk for rejection is almost null. And if there was an issue, antibodies would work because of the mesh’ make up. Just an idea/suggestion. At least it is something that surgeons want because of the terrible issues brought up in this blog. I can tell you the likes of Lifecell, Cr Bard are very concerned for Miromatrix is changing this game…..which is so refreshing. Joe

25. Kelly says:

I am having the mesh removed that was placed in 2004, for a rectocele repair( hernia in the rectum) . I have a piece of ployprolene mesh that has been a problem sine Day one! My surgeon who put it in kept telling me their was no way my husband could feel it during intercourse! Well we both could feel it and now it is eroding through my vaginal wall! Just went to a new surgeon to see about having it removed, he says he can remove it, but it will be a challenge. Now I have to wait 1 month in order to build up my tissue with using Premarin vaginally. The pain from this is worse than a c- section !!!! This is so frustrating , and I am tried of the discomfort!

26. Sylvia Serrato says:

Wow! reading these stories is freaking me out as I have had a 7 month nightmare behind having double hernia’s recently fixed with prolene mesh.I asked and asked what are you going to put in me and I never got an answer untill I went and got my records from the hospital. First surgery the surgeon got the left side fixed but left the right hernia out and trapped in my righ vaginal lip. Talk about pain. So back to the hospital for second try to get the right hernia in. When she puts me back together she disfigures me. Third surgery she says she can fix it,it only get worse. So her boss who runs the clinic does a fourth surgery to fix the disfigurement which was so bad I was limping. It wasn’f just about how it looked it was affecting my gate. So I went spoke with someone about all this and he said you need to find out what they put inside you. Now I did and I have been doing some reading on line about all this and now I am so scared. I feel so bad for all of these people who are suffering so much. Just afraid to think that after all this suffering I have gone through that there may be more in time with this mesh. My right side is toast. It will never be the samw again after 4 surgeries to fix one hernia. I have no faith in doctors at all. They all become doctors for the money. Whatever happened to becoming a doctor to help people and to extend life and quality of life. My heart goes out to all.

27. Tanya says:

I’m desperate does anyone know how to find top surgeons who perform umbilical mesh removal anywhere in country or if you see a plastic surgeon for a revision of a abdominalplasty if they can remove mesh. I’m in so much pain has been a year. Swelling of belly bladder pressure pain trouble with constipation and pulling burning pain around my belly button.

28. Glory says:

Just an update, since December 2013 I have not had any issues with the biological mesh…donor or pig mesh, I am so happy with these products. But having so much (very many) different surgery in my past I do have adhearsions and a whole bunch of nerve damage inside and out of my abdomen which happens as a result of surgery. Not to expect it would be a lie.

Hearing the stories of the plastic mesh it sounds scary and truely wish all those luck in getting things taken care of. Keep trying until you get taken care of or at least until someone answers your questions.

I don’t know how they decide in the O.R. what they will use. I just happen to luck out… maybe it has todo with insurance? I have know idea. But even my surgeon couldn’t tell me if bio mesh would be put in or not before surgery.

As for me nothing will be normal again but there are meds that can and do help somewhat , my bowels aka intestines will never be the same but a gastroligist should be able to prescribe a daily laxative to keep things more natural for your innereds, you don’t want anything harsh or acts like a fiber that bulks up because most likely they run/ran the bowel meaning they take it out check it for issues and put it back., and adhearsions block and hinder things. Neroligists may give some info. These are just a few things I have learned.

Remember everyone is an individual their body reacts differently to medications and treatments just keep searching until you find the answers thats right for you, you may have to travel to get the information that is right for you.

29. Anonymous says:

Hello All! I must remain anonymous because I am still tied to a law firm that would supposedly be helping me with my transvaginal mesh nightmare! All law firms expect us to be quiet during the process but it seems they’ve given up on my case, so I am desperate to find help before it’s too late! I realize this site is about hernia mesh but saw some comments about complications from biologic mesh that I have yet to find anywhere regarding the biologic transvaginal mesh cases, so here I am! I warn you that my comments here are rather long so please bare with me.

I have severe osteoarthritis and have had to have surgery on both hands to replace the deteriorated joints and cartilage and a full knee replacement, among many other surgeries that I’ve since had and wonder if it could be related, somehow, to the mesh surgery that I had shortly prior to my osteoarthritis diagnosis, just at the age of 42. I am completely disabled to work, receiving disability.

I had a biologic transvaginal mesh surgery in 2006. I knew I was messed up as soon as I awoke and the bladder sling was squeezing my bladder so tight, I thought it would burst wide open! I called the nurse and was screaming in agonizing pain, for them to call the doctor back to take me back into surgery and remove the bladder sling immediately, but they just said I was sore from the surgery, to let the morphine do it’s job and I would get used to this feeling and the pain would eventually subside. In a few minutes, my room was filled with the head nurse and what looked like a room full of other nurses, then a doctor, all trying to convince me of this lie while I still insisted to have it removed.

Later that evening they had to give me a blood transfusion because, as they put it, I had “somehow been knicked” during surgery and if the transfusion didn’t help, then they would take me back to surgery to fix the problem. About a week after the surgery and blood transfusion, I began to hemorrhage at home and was rushed to the hospital and treated for a blood clot that had abcessed in my abdomen. It turned into staphylococcal infection and went into my blood stream and nearly killed me.

After surviving that, it took about 3 years to somewhat recover from the staph infection, alone (I later read on the internet that staph infection is not uncommon during transvaginal surgeries due to the extreme bacteria that surrounds the vaginal area – – read more here: http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2011/11/surgery-under-scrutiny-what-went-wrong-with-vaginal-mesh ).

Then right after the surgery for the mesh implant, I had to deal with constant bladder pain that would eventually have caused me to end my life if I had not started receiving a pain treatment called “Elmiron” which I had to have inserted directly into my bladder using a catheter. This treatment took about 45 minutes at the doctor’s office and was received weekly for over a year. The doctor never would admit that the mesh surgery caused this but I know my body and I knew exactly when and where it started. At the time I was too focused on getting rid of the pain so that I would not kill myself to escape my miserable pain filled life. I also went through one horrible UTI after another. After a year and a half, I believe the mesh repositioned itself or stretched enough to ease up on squeezing my bladder, but it has messed up the way my urinary system works. I have to have full quiet concentration to be able to urinate and I have to position my head and body just right so that my spine reaches the only position that my body is allowed to urinate in! Then it stops and starts so much, it takes a good 10-15 minutes just to fully empty my bladder. The bladder has prolapsed again (bulging out of the vagina) and the leakage is back. I make countless trips to the bathroom. I still have severe bladder spasms that nearly paralyze me, along with too many other problems to mention in this “already LONG” comment.

Now my lawyer says that no “biologic” mesh are included in the lawsuits (only the ones with polypropylene mesh are going through the lawsuits). I had to find this out the hard way after years of believing I would be compensated for my pain and suffering that I am still going through to this day.

This is so unfair and my hopes and dreams for a brighter future have been squashed. I can no longer clean my own home, handle our finances, cook a simple meal for my family or go out and buy groceries! My husband and children have to do everything for me now! I’ve even become an “agoraphobic” and have panic attacks when I have to go to a doctor! I haven’t been to an OBGYN since the surgery in 2006 because I’ve lost faith in the doctors who give transvaginal mesh surgeries. My health keeps going downhill and I can’t even get proper pain meds to help me at least live a descent life because of all the problems that the “War on Drugs” has caused the truly sick, pain ridden people, who need it. They treat you like a drug addict just for asking. Our doctors who we trusted that took oaths to take care of us, have deserted us for their own money and careers, they’ll never stand up for us, so we are deserted, left to live OR die in excruciating pain. Some care, I’m sure but they can’t help you too much even if they care because everyone is being watched. When I have surgery for my osteoarthritis problems and have to take my pain meds every 4 hours as the instructions say to do by my surgeon, BlueCross sends a report to ALL my other doctors, including my pharmacy, saying I’m taking too many narcotics and has all of my doctors questioning me about whether I’m the one actually taking these drugs or if I’m selling them! I’ve never sold drugs in my life! Can you imagine being an honest, clean, Christian person, being accused of selling narcotics?!

I realize this is long and I apologize but if anyone can relate or anyone has any good suggestions or information regarding lawsuits with biologic mesh, (not polypropylene mesh), in transvaginal cases, please let me know.

Thank you for letting me rant. :) and I sympathize with each and every one of you. People with medical records like ours should only have to show that proof to a doctor to receive help for the pain, instead of being questioned and treated like drug addicted people and having our personal records shared with pharmacy employees and God knows who else! Yes, Doctor, I know that narcotics are addictive and “no” I don’t want to become a drug addict, I just want to live a normal life again before I die. I’m 50 years old and disabled to work, so if narcotics help me to live even a semi-normal life, then I choose drugs over being suicidal!

Good luck to you all and may God bless you with a peaceful, pain free life!