Study: Mesh Removal May Cause Injuries

Sep 25th, 2012 | By | Category: Medical News

Surgeons, WikiCommons

September 25, 2012 ~ Increasingly women are deciding that their synthetic surgical mesh placed to treat incontinence and prolapse is causing more complication than it’s cured and are opting to have it removed, but a new report says the removal procedure may cause a host of internal injuries, especially to the urethra, or the smooth tube that carry urine from the kidney to the bladder.

Researchers from the Mayo Clinic and Spectrum Health Medical Group in Michigan have published their findings this week in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.(here)

Researchers found the synthetic mesh kits using polypropylene mesh, promotes fibrosis or scar tissue, which may necessitate removal. This is unusual in it is one of the few acknowledgments that link polypropylene to fibrosis.

Vaginal mesh is inserted through the vagina to hold up prolapsed pelvic organs. A mesh sling may be used to support a sagging urethra and bladder to treat urinary incontinence and may be placed abdominally. Mesh complications include shrinkage, eroding into nearby organs, nerve and muscle pain, hardening, balling up, and causing infections, among other complications.

The plastic mesh utilizes anchors, usually metal, somewhere near the uterus to hold up the mesh. During a mesh removal, surgeons frequently leave behind the metal anchors since removal is considered too risky by many doctors.

In two cases profiled, surgeries for mesh and fibrosis removal resulted in damage to the urethra which was cut during the procedure. One woman undergoing the removal of a Prolift mesh (Johnson & Johnson), had her urethra transected and needed additional surgery and use of a catheter to assist with urination.  Another patient had an American Medical Systems Apogee and Perigee mesh removed because it had eroded into her vagina and she was left with pain and incontinence.

“The literature suggests that 4.4% to 14.5% of patients have significant morbidity after mesh kit procedures, including mesh erosion, infection, pain, incontinence and recurrence of prolapse,” researchers noted. “The significant inflammation from host incorporation, relatively blind placement, and the proximity of urinary structures to supporting anchors predisposes the urethra to injury during mesh placement and removal.”

The FDA ordered 33 mesh makers to begin postapproval monitoring of complications last January, but those studies are not yet underway. The actual complication rate associated with surgical mesh for transvaginal or abdominal placement remains unknown.

The doctors involved in this study include Christine Heisler, MD, (Spectrum Group, Grand Rapids, Michigan) Elizabeth Casiano MD, Christopher Klingele, MD, John Gebhart, MD, Emanuel Trabuco MD.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Comments to “Study: Mesh Removal May Cause Injuries”

1. Peg says:

I am scheduled to have my mesh removed after , almost 4 years of waiting , and pain and suffering. I am scared, , not knowing about what other woman , went through after having the mesh removed, Is there more damage and are infections gone. and pain?
    I want to know, the mesh is protruding out in me in 2 places. PLEASE IF ANY WOMAN CAN GIVE OTHERS , WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER SURGERY, LET US KNOW.
    IS THE DAMAGE MORE SEVERE, AND MORE SURGERIES, , LIKE MARY, SOME PEOPEL BECAUSE OF THE MESH, IN MEDICAL PROFESSION ARE CRUEL TO THE WOMEN. these women did not blame any doctor or nurse they saw after that surgery, I didn’t , I wanted to know what happened to my body I did not understand, Like other women women know within the year of the mesh implant, within 9 months after, all hell breaks loose with infections and pain. from mild to extreme severe. You never know 1 minute to the next.

The law suits are for permanent damages done by mesh , the companies , and the companies should be held responsible, but like mary said , I believe the 2 doctors that put my mesh in knew , and they also knew at my 6 weeks check up it had already moved, but said nothing, remembering the doctor’s look. but the sorry sarcastic remarks I got when asking questions , also state medical boards need to look into, NOT THE DOCTORS THAT ARE TRYING TO REMOVE THE MESH AND TRY TO HELP THE WOMEN WITH MESH IMPLANT, BUT THOSE THAT SAID NOTHING AND GUARANTEED THE MESH TO STOP BLADDER LEAKAGE. they knew , I BELIEVE THEY HAD ALREADY BEEN TOLD AND BEEN WARNED OF WHAT THE MESH WAS DOING TO WOMEN.

that is the way I see it, and I cannot help but be angry with those doctors and nurses , even more , before i KNEW ABOUT THE MESH MOVING THAT EXAMINED ME AND SAID NOTHING.

WHAT THEY ARE GIVING WOMEN TRULY IS NOT ENOUGH, NOT KNOWING IF MORE SURGERIES AND EXPENSES , OR DEATH IS THEIR FUTURE. i KNOW SOME WOMEN HAVE HAD HUSBANDS , I HAD NO HUSBAND TO GIVE SUPPORT, I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE HAD A HUSBAND, i HAD MEN THAT WERE INTERESTED IN ME, i AM A GOOD WOMAN. but had to turn them away, knowing I could not be a wife to them, One man after 2 years came back and wanted to know why I turned him down, I had to tell him the truth. I suffered alone, I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE AHD A HUSBAND IN EVERY DOCTOR’S OFFICE TO HEAR WHAT i HAVE HAD TO GO THROUGH ALONE WITH DOCTORS AND NURSES.

Like mary said , her son and husband would have thrown a doctor out the window for talking cruelly , to her for something she is not responsible for . she did not deserve it, and neither did I and more women that had damages of the bladder mesh.

I am trying to curb my anger with all this for 4 years, it’s hard. God be with all the women with damages because of the mesh,

2. Hi i just want to say im am just as angry as u are and all the women that hav sufferd becuz of the mesh,i had my put in april 2010 and within a couple days i knew something was wrong. I have sufferd ever sence having uti afyer uti other infections discharge oh lord it was bad,pain in my pelvic area,lower back down both legs absolutely no energy inccontence still,had trouble peeing and when it did come out it was like right in mid stream it would freeze up and it take forever to finsh voiding. And my sex life with my husband has been destroyef. But i have to say im very lucky to have him he has been so understanding kind loving and wirh me thru it all. He has listen to drs say nothing was wrong and him telling them oh yea there def is something wrong. Well day before thanksgiving i had surgery sceduled to remove the mesh i had survery but nothing has changed if anything its worse. To be honest i hav researched the removal over over and it was to simple an quick for him to remove it. So i honestly dont think he removed it he might done a partial removal but he didnt remove it all he didnt remove off my bone or remove the arms or anchors. So zmake sure you ask these questions before surgery. .. Goodluck to all the women who hav sufferd with the mesh and may god be with yall….

3. patricia says:

My son flew to Seattle from Los Angles to accompany me to a doctors appointment when I was at the end of my rope. By then I had been to several already and was so frustrated with the doctors dismissive and condescending manner. It was obvious that none of them were going to admit to the fact that the mesh was causing unbearable and progressive pain and damage. I finally saw Dr. Raz at UCLA. By then the mesh was starting to come through my vagina. I truly believe I would have died without the 2 removal surgeries. I coudn’t have survived the pain any longer let alone all of the other immune problems, so the things I’m left to deal with are just part of the package and I’m very grateful to have the mesh out. Every case is different, but for me, I have some continence problems that I’m seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist for. Right now I’m using a nitro glycerin ointment to try and heal a rectal fissure and an estiodol concoction in my vagina to try and “fluff up” that area for the voiding problems. But you know what? This is all minor compared to the pain and suffering I was experiencing with the mesh inside me. I am so grateful to have it out and hope to improve with more time, but I’m already so much better off than I was during those darkest days.

• p is for pain says:

LOOKS LIKE THE WOMEN , ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GET TO DR RAZ SOME WAY TO GET MESH REMOVED.
      My surgery trying to remove it, by doctors locally did not work, infections still bad , pain, and much weaker. A lot of doctors are saying they can do the surgery, but they are not doing something right. I still have mesh protruding out, infections, and the doctor will not even talk to me at all about what happened in surgery.

Maybe , I can get money to get to raz, and have it removed, honestly, I do not think they intend for some to live through this mesh . I cannot live on anti biotics. and this doctor says it ‘s not the mesh, I did not have the problems with infections before the mesh, and I cannot even feel urine coming out of me now. I am dead inside . I know when I feel full, but the flow if it is not making sound, as I have looked and the urine is still coming out, but I can’t tell, I cannot feel anything. I am not the same inside as before at all.

it will cost a lot to get to dr raz, but looks like he is the only one that is getting the mesh out with success of any kind.

• Kristine says:

I called Dr Raz his office its $700 just for a consult that’s if you don’t have a PPO or medicare . I’m suffering with mesh inside my body. I want it out. My story is long and drawn out. I had mesh placed in 2011 and my case was filed in 2013. I don’t care about the money other then wanting it to pay to remove this crap out of my body. I suffer with pain daily no relief from pain meds and my neurologist says yes you have nerve damage.physical therapy does not work. I have pelvic pain, abdominal pain, groin pain, pain in my hip legs and thighs. Muscle cramps in my calves. Foot pain that feels like my foot was burned at times. I’m 42 . I never had any of this pain before my surgery. I’ve been in and out of the hospital with infections. Life is not the same. I hate mesh and the people who allowed it to be inserted in our bodies. I did not have a complete understanding as to what mesh was before I allowed it to be put in my body.

4. Lyndsey Howard says:

I had anterior, posterior and a tvt. I was fortunate to choose my extraction doctors carefully. Dr. Trabuco at the Mayo clinic removed the anterior and posterior ‘blocks’ of mesh. Immediately following surgery I felt relief of some of the abdominal/pelvic pain but still had significant neuropathy and was chronically ill. I chose to have Dr. Raz remove as much mesh as he could. This surgery was very, very difficult. I lost a lot of blood and recovery was tough, but it too brought some relief. Unfortunately, the damage was already done. I compare it to being shot 3 or 4 times. If they remove all but one bullet, you are better-off overall but the scar tissue and the remaining bullet are still there. Although the extent of the discomfort and pain have been reduced, pain is pain! I think it is easier to manage and I think my health overall improved. The damage was done when they put the mesh in and it stayed in for years. I did not recieve any new injury from the extraciton surgeries.

5. Annonymous says:

Ok ladies,
    keep the hope. I had total removal 7 months ago and life is not perfect but it is a hell of a lot better. Raz took care of me. I am able to walk, sleep, poop, and I am off all medication after 10 months of anti biotics and rectal botox injections under anesthesia every 10 weeks for muscle spasms. Sex is happening but it’s a work in progress. I am thankful for removal. I pray for all my sisters every day and I can’t say enough positive things about UCLA and Dr. Raz.

• Lillian says:

You say that you had a good doctor (Raz) did you have insurance to get this Botox?

• P J says:

Lillian good question, Did you have insurance to take care of all bills, what about stay , hotels , motels, eats, etc, more cost, good doctor? Was all of your questions answered.

How long did you suffer from infections, ? HOW LONG WAS IT THAT YOU FOUND OUT AND KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRI=ONG AND COULD NOT EVEN GET A DOCTOR , NURSE ANYONE IN MEDICAL TO TELL YOU YOUR INFECTIONS WAS BECAUSE MESH WAS STICKING OUT IN YOUR VAGINA CAUSING YOU TO BLEED, LIKE LITTLE WIRES , THAT WHEN URINE TEST WERE DONE ALWAYS A URINARY TRACT INFECTION, ABCESSES, AND MORE, PAIN, WAS IT A YEAR, 2 YEARS , 3 YEARS , 4 YEARS . HAD IT GOT INTO YOUR INTESTINES, AND YOU LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR BOWELS? PLUS BLADDER , ARE YOU COMFORTABLE BEING OUT IN OUBLIC FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME AS YOU WERE BEFORE MESH WAS IMPLANTED.

sOME WOMEN KNOW IT IS TOO LATE, IT TOOK TOO LONG TO FIND OUT AND DOCTORS AND NURSES LYING TO THEM OVER 3 YEARS , THAT THE MESH HAS GOT INTO OTHER PARTS OF THEIR BODY, INTESTINES , BOWELS, PERMANENT DAMAGE , AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THE MESH CANNOT BE REMOVED COMPLETELY AS IT STILLL PROTRUDES OUT IN VAGINIA, PREVENTING THEM FROM GAVING A RELATIONSHIP WITH A HUSBAND, WOMEN THAT KNOW THEY CAN NEVER BE A WIFE TO A HUSBAND EVER AGAIN.

BECAUSE PEOPLE IN COMPANIES GOT SO MONEY HUNGRY GREEDY FOR BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON MESH, THEY DID NOT CARE ABOUT THE WOMEN THAT WERE BEING USED AS GUINEA PIGS FOR THEIR PRODUCT. AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE NURSES ARE HAVING THIS MESH PUT IN WITHIN A YEAR OF TODAY, AND HAVING THEIR MESH TOOK OUT, BEFORE INFECTIONS OR SUFFERING FOR GREEDY MONEY. THEY HAVE CAES KNOWING THE DANGERS AND WHAT OTHER WOMEN HAVE BEEN SAYING NOW FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS IT WAS MADE PUBLIC. THEY HAVE NO DAMAGE EXCEPT FOR THE MESH PUT IN, SOME HAVE NEVER SUFFERED AS SOME WOMEN WITH 4 YEARS OF INFECTIONS AND SOME DIED, SOME CLOSE TO DEATH, AND THEY DARE TO FILE A CASE AND HAVE NOT SUFFERED OR BEEN TREATED CRUEL BY MEDICAL BECAUSE THEY HAD LINKS WITH MEDICAL PEOPLE, THAT WANT GREEDY MONEY TOO FOR THE RICH.

SOME WOMEN HAVE BEEN THROUGH HELL, USED AS GUINEA PIGS LIED TO, TREATED CRUEL , BY THOSE IN MEDICAL PROFESSION, SOME NEED TO BE BEHIND BARS , AND WE NEED JUDGES TO BE JUST IN COURTS WITH THOSE THAT WOULD FRAUD COURTS THAT HAVE NOT SUFFERED AT ALL.L

SOME WOMEN HAVE THE MONEY TO GET THAT KIND OF HELP, WHILE OTHERS DO NOT. JUST MORE PAIN, KNOWING THAT IF THEY GO THROUGH WITH MORE SURGERY TO TRY TO REMOVE THEY WILL HAVE MORE DAMAGE , IT CANNOT BE REMOVED, . WHAT DO THEY HAVE LOOK FORWARD TO MORE PAIN, , MORE LIES , WHAT WAS OFFERED BY THESE COMPANIES AND TO THE FDA, TO ALLOW THIS MESH TO BE USED IN WOMEN WITH WORDS OF GUARANTEE IT WILL STOP BLADDER LEAKAGE LIKE A MIRACLE DEVICE. NO MORE PADS , NO MORE LEAKAGE. . THAT SOME WOMEN HAVE DIED FIGHTING INFECTIONS SO BAD , AND HAD TO BEG FOR ANTI BIOTICS AT TIMES, NOTHING FOR PAIN AND SUFFERING AT ALL, DENIED , EVEN A CREAM TO GIVE RELIEF. WHY? WHY? WHY?”

STILL NO ANSWERS, ONCE YOU MENTION MESH TO A DOCTOR , NURSE, THE HELL STARTS, THEY WANT NO PART, SO WHAT AND WHERE DO WOMEN GO FOR ANTI BIOTICS THEY NEED, OR SOMETHING FOR PAIN, NOT EVEN A CREAM FOR RELIEF FOR OVER 4 YEARS WAS HARD TO GET. ANGER IS NOT THE WORD , A WOMAN THAT HAS BEEN THROUGH WHAT i HAVE FEELS , WRATH IS MOREE LIKE IT, AND i HATE IT , IT SHOWS ON MY FACE MY ANGER. THAT i can’t even get questions answered, and provoked to anger, because you can’t get to a pharmacy to get medicine because of mesh, honestly, I don’t think this web sight would want me to be as blunt in truth as to what docs . and nurses have put me through, and I had to step out of line being a lady, to a ——. when I WAS BEING TREATED CRUELLY ..

i AM GETTING BILLS NOW, THAT THESE COMPANIES SHOULD PAY, AND i COULD LOSE MY HOME AND MORE, THEY DO NOT CARE, WHAT THE WOMEN ARE SUFFERING HAVE SUFFERED AND PERMANENT DAMAGE AS LONG AS THEY GET BILLIIONS  AND MORE GUINEA PIGS , HUMANS THAT DOCS AND NURSES LIE TO AND WILL NOT ANSWER QUESTIONS . WHAT FAVORS WERE OFFERED, TO THOSE AT FDA AND MEDICAL TYO PUSH THEIR BILLIONS OF DOLLAR MESH, THAT DESTROYED LIVES AND KILLED SOME., AND MORE WILL DIE, IMMUNE SYSTEM , ANTI BIOTICS, THEY CAN’T FIGHT OFF EVEN A COLD. ETC.

6. Colleen says:

I had the mesh put in 2009 i have had two surgery’s since for erosions and now for the last few months i have had pain and now for the last two months 24\7 pain. It is so bad and getting worse every day. I am in tears and i don’t know what is going on. I can’t sit for long or stand or walk for a long period w/out the pain coming on.
    I vacuumed today and “Wham it came on strong” i had to take pain pills at least three because one and even two didn’t cut it. I am waiting to see the uro dr. but i have been in the emergency room and have called out of work now for the last two weeks. Im in tears i can’t do this any longer. I want to yell “Some one please help me” tell me why this is happening? Please help me w/this pain help it go away. I do not have a normal life any longer. I have drifted from my husband due to “NO WAY CAN WE HAVE SEX” i dont even want him to cuddle w/me cause i am afraid it will bring on that intense pain. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WHAT IS THIS MESH DOING TO MY INSIDES TO CAUSE THIS? i keep trying to look up symptoms but there is nothing out there really it says what the mesh does but nothing to describe the symptoms…. if anyone can help me please..

I’m so sorry- Can you talk to a patient advocate? not a doctor or lawyer but someone who has been there? Let me know if I can pass on your email…. and thank you for writing… some people actually do find relief when they begin advocating for themselves.

7. Wilma Flinestone says:

Today I’m going for my seventh surgery. Arms, Anchors and fibrosis scar tissue. Plus a pudenal block. And if I need an Anterior/ Posterior repair he’ll do that! I’ve had 5 anterior repairs do to the viability of healthy vaginal tissue. Nervousness is upon me…. Ill keep you informed.

8. Bejah says:

Dear Wilma and all others, I am praying for you. We must provide spiritual support for eachother. I read women’s stories (and some men’s stories too, and I can’t stope reading, but must stop and do other things include laying down for awhile every 40 minutes or so). It is difficult to imagine the scope of the horror yet over and over I also hear women talk about how much compassion they have for eachother and how supportive the men in their lives have been and that is comforting.

As I read the stories I do think of Nazi concentration camps and the experimentation on human beings that took place there. As someone said at least those people saw an end to their suffering when they were murdered in the gas chambers…many of us it seems will die slow painful deaths.

Even if all the mesh is taken out what about the effect of the toxins on our bodies. All of my life I have tried to be careful about what I ate, what cleaning products I used, etc. I would never have allowed a petro product to be put in my abdomen and knowing that my surgeon and medical center knew…they knew because the data was available and it is their field of expertise, therefore I have the right of expectation that they had all the data available. I was not told either. They present patient rights documents but they are just public relations, and mean nothing, just as Ethicon’s Ethics policy means nothing.

In addition to many of the symptoms many of you have mentioned I also have blurred vision (But Opthamologist does not find anything seriously wrong with my eyes), and loss of appetite, and constipation, and a terrible, terrible burning in the vulva area…it is like I am on fire and it is constant although the intensity varies. I was recently diagnosed with peripherial neuropathy in both my legs. I worry about internal neuropathy. I can not sleep through the night. I wake in pain and from nightmares and worry about my poor body. I had POP in spring 2010. Initially my primary symptom was constant pain and by 2011 I decided I must have Intersistial Cystitis. I sent an email to my surgeon to tell them that was my self diagnosis. No call back. No contact at all. No one ever called to warn me, to tell me to come in and be checked, nothing. It was not until about three months ago that I made the connection and checked my surgery file…learning that I was a victim also and then I knew the real reason for my symptoms. I have not had any revision surgery and wonder if I will be told it is not possible. My kidneys it seems are involved also and they are malformed. I do not understand how they could put this mesh in me, knowing that. It is mind boggling. Yes I do have an attorney..

I must agree with the woman who said maybe they are hoping we will just die and go away….maybe when they were developing this scheme they talked about how many baby bomers there were and how we wanted to always stay young and would be a ripe market for their “product”.

But anger will not heal us so we should try not to dwell on it but at the same time we should take action to stop this horror. There is a lot we can do but it is hard when we are wounded….espeically if we are mortally wounded. I want to know the stories of the women who have died because of this…I want to see their photos, know something about their lives. I wish there was a memorial page somewhere or something.

I also want to know why it seems no major media organization is covering this story…could it be that their parent corporation has forbidden it or is it now as newsworthy as a driveby shooting or sporting event…or is modern medicine off limits?

Thank you all for being such an inspiration, for being so honest and kind.

Bejah
    California

9. kristine garner says:

My surgery was back in March of 2011. The pain started right after surgery. I thought ok this is a normal part of the healing. Not.. My buttox feels like ive been spanked a million times ovet and over. my thigh and pelvic psin keeps me from walking . I can sit but with leaning to the right. My legs go numb when excercising physical therapy. I have been in and out of the hospital with colon infections. unexplained. I am finally seing a surgeon in the next few weeks. I want this mesh out for good. life with my husband and children is not as i knew it

10. Tamara says:

I had a rectocele repair using the polypropylene mesh in September of 2005. I was not thinking properly as I’d just had to bury my father a month earlier. The Dr. who put it in told me that I needed a rectocele repair and I asked him repeatedly if there was another way to repair it and he said no, this is the way we do it. He then told me if it was uncomfortable, they would remove it. After the surgery ,I went in for my aftercare visit and told him to take it out cause I couldn’t poop right…he said sorry, we can’t do that and the sensation will disappear in a few weeks.
    Well, its been over 8 years now, and I still can’t poop right, it feels like I’m always having to go, even when there’s nothing in there… its called “tesnesmus” I itch and burn in my vulva terribly. I am tired all the time (I used to be very athletic). I’ve been running a low grade fever for over two years now. I stared doing the Gerson therapy of juicing and coffee enemas 3 years ago…it helped at first, but now I’m so tired that I can hardly get out of bed.
    Still fighting the Dr.s trying to get them to remove it. I’ve been complaining to my primary caregiver about it since they put it in. I am a military veteran and when I asked for my records to send to the mesh lawyers, all the records of my visits to complain about the mesh have disappeared! How in the heck do your medical records disappear from a military medical facility? I went to another Dr. here in Anchorage and she found out that the Dr. who put it in was one of her mentors. She told me that she could remove it, but she wouldn’t. She put it in writing that she refused to offer me that intervention. I was in the hospital ER in March , because of a horrible infection and the cat scan showed it leading from the mesh all the way up my torso. I had growths inside my rectum so big that I couldn’t pass gas. I believe they were cancers. I was very scared and started researching and found a video by a Dr. in Italy who claims to be curing cancer with Baking Soda. I figured I had nothing to lose because the Dr.s here had refused to help me, so I gave myself daily Baking Soda and water enemas…within 2 weeks all the growths were gone, but I still can’t poop right and my vulva is still burning and I have no energy, but at least those horribly painful growths are gone. I am now having problems with blurry eyesight, and shooting pains going down both legs…my hands and feet are numb and tingly and I’m afraid I’m going to die if they don’t remove this mesh soon.
    My new primary care giver made an appointment for me tomorrow to see another surgeon and cautioned me not to mention any Dr.s names and keep it simple, to just say that I’m allergic to it and having problems pooping. I am so pissed off! I found out that the surgeon who put this in me (Dr. Bogojavlenski) had a malpractice suit against him in Massachusetts in 1996 for putting experimental devices in people and not keeping records on them. It said he endangered human beings. Then he comes to Alaska and does the same thing up here…and I can’t sue him because its been over 2 years! I believe that he is one of the Dr.s who strongly advocated the use of plastic meshes and taught a bunch of other Dr.s to use them. I don’t know how many people have had their lives ruined by this man, but I’m sure there a nice warm spot in hell waiting for him.

11. sherri holmberg says:

My daughter had the mesh removal surgery about a week ago. Around 1 am this morning she woke up with vaginal bleeding and abdomine pain, ended up in the ER at 3am. At this moment she is being transported back to the Hospital, about 2 hours away. Was told she may spend several days in the Hospital. The local Hospital did a cat scan, saw post surgery adhesions and more infection. They do not know where the bleeding is coming from. Before her her surgery, the mesh had erroded through her vagional wall causing infection and pain. I also have bladder mesh, which was done about 7 yrs ago and have had no problems. I wish all the luck to those going through what my Daughter is going through. This is a hugh finacial burden to her family as she will miss 8 weeks of work and will loose that pay. She and her family already live pay check to pay check.

Sherri-

Unless your daughter went to one of the few docs in the country who can do a full mesh removal she likely had a partial. that is not advised by the mesh removal experts in that it can cause more problems than it solves. Let’s hope her surgery was successful. A translabial ultrasound will show the mesh not a cat scan we are told. I’m sorry. there are a lot of people who are not capable of doing a mesh removal but they try regardless. ~ ja

• sherri holmberg says:

Hi Jane, her surgery was performed at Magee Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh. I understand her Doctor is highly regarded at that Hospital, though like you said he may not be one of the very few Doctors that perform the surgery. We live in Altoona PA, and non of the Doctors here would touch her. Just called to see how she is doing, not much info other than she has a severe headache and wants to sleep. Will give up dates as I can. Thanks Jane for your comment.

12. lizzyjune44 says:

I went to iowa city ia for triple prolapse.08.surgery traditional way surgeon put the mesh in even though I toldheri didnt want that stuff in me l.have been in pain ever since .my bladder stuck to the mesh she just reached in and pulled it loose.i thought I was going to diei regused to go back.turned her in for wrongful surgery.no doc here will help.went to mayo they wouldnt help.finally sent back to iowa city after a rash developed all over my groin legs buttocks. In extreme pain.found out had vaginal mesh erosion. Within wks after off pain meds I was in extreme pain again . doctors assistant said deal with it then doctor called saidshe wont do anymore surgeries.found out she did nerve damage to my back after I thought I found a doctor who would take this out.he says no way.my primary doctor wont help me go to dr raz.i can only barely walk if someone helps otherwise in wheelchair.my husband and I are on verge of separating.i havent the money to go out to raz.no I know why people think of death.i am .one day it will be too much and thats it.dont go to iowa city dr bradley or in davenport. Shes dangerous.i fear for those who do.

13. lizzyjune44 says:

I went to mayo too.all the doctor did was talk about his kidney stones.wouldnt help either.funny hes on hete saying he does dr G.h does take out the arms .tries to scare you too death about having it done.they dont get it.we are a walking time bomb.one they caused.we are the victims but they act like its our fault.my life is over.6 yrs next month in pain all because one doctor wanted to play God with my life.

14. Kristine says:

This is truly sad for all of us women who are suffering. Why should our lives be a joke to these Doctors placing this horrible stuff in our body. I’ve got nerve damage that causes horrible pain. The infections come and go. The pain is never ending. Muscle cramps butt pain. Pelvic pain. Groin pain. Hospitalizations for more then a week. A feeling of being kicked in the butt or spanked with a belt. A burning in near my urethra and burning of the butt like its on fire. An extreme burning down my leg. Why should iI have to live any different then I did before surgery. I have lots of pictures of the rashes that come and go . Horrible rashes that seem to affect my inner thighs outer thigh and hip and my butt. I’m allergic to this products. I want it out. Their is so much more to my story and I can not even begin to explain everything or all the stress this has caused me. I cry in public or when out with family. Sometimes I take to big of a step and I feel a major stabbing pain in my groin area that causes me to randomly scream out. The mesh is pulling on me and poking. I feel it… how do I know doctors ask. Well its my body I know when something is not right. Keep fighting until someone listens. I’m fighting and getting answers slowly. I’m so depressed but continue to fight. I have a family who needs me just as I need them. Good luck to my fellow sufferers. May you find the strength to continue fighting.

15. PennsylvaniaLady says:

Ladies:

I have had the mesh completely removed by Dr Raz this past December 2013 and I feel great with little pain. Healing takes a long time. The Dr removes the mesh from your thighs and vagina. He cuts through 4 thigh muscles so expect your thighs to be very swollen. Mine where and it was tough walking and getting out of bed in the beginning but that all gets better day by day.

Dr Raz was the only Dr that confirmed I had erosion and infection! He told me the Doctors out there have no idea what to even look for! I agree!

Brief overview:

My complications read in my medical records like most of yours. I had gone to 13 Doctors for the problem of pelvic pain, bladder infections, unable to urinate properly.

I had tests, pain injections, went to physical therapy where the therapist used an electronic probe did pelvis squeezes only to end up with bladder infections.

Four of the Doctors left various practices in the midst of treating me so I was repeatedly going to a new Doctor. No one seemed to understand what was happening to me.

I had gone to Mayo in 2012 as it was closer and the Dr (one of them listed in this article Trabuco) said there was nothing wrong that he could see but could partially remove the mesh(he could not get out the arms). I was given some time to think about it and then about 1 month after my visit I get a letter from the Dr saying he and his colleagues decided against removing the mesh.

It was a blessing in disguise! I went to the Best in the World! Dr Raz is so gentle, he sat at my bedside after I woke up from surgery. He showed me the mesh in a cup. He told me it was a hard surgery but he got it all! I was very weak but I thank God for every day I am here as that is all I can ask.

Ladies please go out to UCLA they are the only ones that can do this.
    My husband is retired and we took money from his 401K to pay for this. I met a English Lady from Tx whom sold her car to pay for the trip. Instead of saying you can’t find a way that you can get there.
    Cost:
    I have insurance -
    Hotel : UCLA Tiverton House is $120 a night. They do have financial help but you must fill out forms to prove you can not afford paying.
    Flying out to LA from the East Coast. Around $700 but I went Priority seating. I could have gone for much less and probably should have to save money but I was so nervous traveling alone for the initial consult that hubby put me in a better seat.

The Consult: Not long but thorough. They could see the beginning of erosion . 6 Months to wait for surgery date. Long wait but it arrives fast.
    You must take someone with you.
    I stayed 2 weeks.
    Yes it is expensive but I am grateful God took me to Dr. Raz.
    He had done 700 removals when I had my taken out.
    UCLA takes wonderful care of you.

16. lily clary says:

All my friends said hysterectomy “no big deal” “I love I had it”. I wish I was dead. I can’t poo I can’t pee without standing, raising one leg up leaning back I can’t just sit down and urinate like a woman its easier to stand over toilet and straddle it and pray I don’t pee down my leg I’ve started just getting completely undressed waist down to us the bathroom now. Some times its a shower spray , sometimes a dribble sometimes a slow leak or drip drip. To have a bowel movement takes the help of god himself, I am on miralax daily prunes daily and gas x. My stomach gets so big I look 9 months pregnant. Never know when I’m going to pass the most awful smelling gas u’ve ever smelled. Have had to just walk out of stores. Leave and go back days later or not at all. Just wait till someone in house has time to go get it for me. And when I do have a BM I can’t push it out I have to cough or blow my nose and it comes out in thin short tiny ribbons. Must be the constancy of pure liquid or stage 1 baby food to even come out. No one ever said my rectum will be paralyzed but u will feel constant burning pressure. Sex the one thing in life I still very much enjoyed and I explained this to the doctor I explained in plain English straight forward if u mess up my sex life we are going to have major problems. I’ve had 4ex or should I say attempted sex 5 times since I had surgery June 2013. I went through physical therapy I did the creams the pills they both gave me migraines I had to stop. The mesh can be felt through my vaginal wall. When doc felt it he said u have thin walls I said I’m 50 what did u think they were gonna be I’m menopausal. I kept telling you I know I don’t look or seem 50 but I am I told u that before we did surgery. Told you about my dryness and use of lubricant fixed that. I was multi orgasmic and ejaculated. And that if he took that from me we would have a problem. I was female now I’m am not I’m an it. Not female not male. I hate this wish I had died during surgery than live like this. I had plans all gone I had a career after being out for so long I may never work again due to my age and need for current experience. And I wasn’t really having urine problems I was having bleeding problems yea I peed a little more had urgency. But I still have that and worse. Nothing was prolasped. I just needed my fundus removed. So I found a doctor willing to do that he did it using the davinci procedure. He us a kind doctor treated me very nice I saw him till late Dec 2013 / early Jan 2014. I went to my daughters for a change for many reason never got to a doctor there after 6 weeks I cam home made appt w/ my pcp ASAP he referred me out to GI and GU doctors. Having the mesh removed I’m probably going to leak and probably need a second surgery or 3rd depends. No one really knows what I face. I asked for a natural product. Now this new doc says we can do a skin graft from you left or abd to make a new sling. But can’t promise me he can get all the mesh out and that’s another things I was shown one product to be inserted and may have a whole nother product in me. we will see when they take it out. Its ruined my life literally. I have a boy starting university I was suppose to work and put him through now I can’t so now my boy will graduate with loans probably. A boy who is 8th in a class of 347 honor roll honor society , done everything he was asked to have that perfect resume for school. Worked since he was 14. I haven’t even been able to buy his senior portraits, no invitations I’ve not been able to buy anything not even his yearbook. How is that fair to him. I feel so bad he don’t complain never says a word about it. I’m just getting deeper and deeper in my hole till I’m gone. I’ve lost all my independence something I’ve always had made sure of that now its gone I’m exactly where I said I never wanted to be at the mercy of others goodwill. I’d rather be dead.

Lily- Do you have your medical records and know what procedure/mesh you had? Do you have insurance? Please refrain from partial removals because experts say they do not do the job and can make a future full removal more difficult. Glad to hear you have medical help willing to use a sling made from your own tissues. Please advocate for yourself and seek the best opinions you can… post on FB any questions you have… thank you~ ja