*NEW* The Doctors: Risks of Mesh Implants for Bladder Control

May 21st, 2014 | By | Category: Medical News
Wanda- Mesh Survivor

Wanda- Mesh Survivor

“The one way I know how to describe it is “suicidal”  That’s  stabbed from the inside.”

“There is nothing wrong with you its in year head, you might be crazy,” says the doctor.

That’s the show “teaser for The Doctors, television show. It is not clear when this segment is running, though it appears May 21 may be the air date.  The show profiles Wanda.

Wanda, 43, had a hysterectomy seven years ago at the same time a transvaginal mesh “sling” was implanted below her bladder to correct incontinence she had been experiencing since giving birth to two boys more than 20 years ago.

The Doctors

The Doctors, Dr. Travis Stork

Wanda says since the surgery she has experienced stabbing pain and she has difficulty standing up and walking.

“It’s so bad now that you don’t care whether you live or die,” she told the audience.

“I want so bad for this mesh just to be removed. I want my life back. I want the pain to quit.”

Dr. John Miklos

Dr. John Miklos

The show features surgeons Dr. Robert Moore and Dr. John Miklos of Miklos and Moore of Atlanta who remove mesh but on last check also use it on occasion.

The two are interviewed during the surgery and said they feel everything went well during the surgery and were hoping for relief for the patient.

“It works very well in many, many women,” says Dr. Moore of mesh.  He blames the pain on the mesh tightening pulling on the muscles and causing pain or bladder obstruction.

Dr. Robert Moore

Dr. Robert Moore

Wanda says three days after surgery she is finally pain free for the first time in seven years.

The segment is available here.

www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/11641

Tags: , , , , , , ,

29 Comments to “*NEW* The Doctors: Risks of Mesh Implants for Bladder Control”

1. mary smith says:

This is insane I want to die on a daily basis the pain is so intensive each person is different please stop using this shit !!!!!!

• Melinda says:

I feel the same Mary !!! I Would not wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy and since I don’t have any enemies except Satan himself !!! so yes I am saying that I would not even wish this on Satan himself,,,,, There is NO Surgeon including these guy’s that can remove all the mesh inside a woman’s body !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sick and tired of these doctor’s saying we can fix you !!! If this guy could only walk just 1 day in the shoes of a mesh victim he would lose that God syndrome !!!

2. karen says:

You can clearly look at his face its full of lies. Just thinking about the future of his practice and the kick back the vaginal mesh corporations gives him. This is unbelievable his should try going back too school maybe try plastic surgery, veteran, because he is very happy with hurting people. That mesh sling is a disaster and he knows it. His facial expressions looks like his on trail for murder and he’s waiting on the verdict. Well done dr quack let’s keep this going for the next 20 years until u run out if people . Why would a doctor say these evil things, hurting people more is the new Millennium . He is truly desperate.

• Lacey says:

Evil, really? The woman featured on this show was in constant pain and these doctors were able to address her issues and relieve her pain. I don’t think you can judge who anyone is based on a few seconds of interview questions and it appears that these doctors are able to treat these pain issues when others won’t even attempt to. They weren’t denying that some patients have issues with mesh but you want to indict every surgery that has ever involved mesh or surgeon who has placed mesh as being evil. I hear that you are very angry and I’m sorry for whatever experiences you’ve had that led you to this but if I understand correctly there are women out there suffering who need skilled surgeons like these men to help relieve their pain and you shouldn’t want or let your anger interfere with them seeking relief from some of the few surgeons qualified to help them.

The patient Wanda was just three days out from her surgery. I’ve heard of women who have a post-surgical high. Let’s hope it continues to work for her..

• Kitty says:

Lacy I believe I had a skilled surgeon take my SUI sling out. I am now able to pee without straight cathing 3Xper day. She is from Milwaukee, however, I still have pain–cramping–spasms perhaps from POP mesh that is still in me. If the pain is from neurologic or nerves taking out a tight mesh probably will not work for pain–it’ll work for peeing.

3. msm says:

Just to exemplify ignorance in the media:

Here’s an attorney’s take on the insignificance of transvaginal mesh for SUI versus mesh for POP. While he makes many valid points, suggesting that all transvaginal mesh for SUI is ” no thicker than the diameter of a human hair” and should not cause any problems in comparison to POP mesh demonstrates a lack of experience. Just ask the husband of a woman with exposed mid-urethral mesh how dense and abrasive it is. Density and pore size of the mesh used in both procedures varies from brand to brand and model to model.

If transvaginal mesh for SUI IS unlikely to cause problems, why would AMS and other companies explicitly warn of extrusion and erosion through the urethra and bladder. They also warn of infection requiring removal which is, to some degree, more likely with smaller pore mesh.

I say all of this to make the point that mesh is mesh. Putting it anywhere where there may be friction (especially with intercourse) isn’t logical. Suggesting that women with mesh for SUI should be much less likely to have injuries significant enough to warrant a lawsuit, IN MY OPINION, reflects questionable professionalism. Do POP mesh complcations occur with much greater frequency? Absolutely. Is removal much more complex and impossible in many case? Absolutely! It’s horrible! But don’t suggest that cases for SUI have less merit as a whole.

• Kitty says:

msm Thanks for that information. I wished so badly that I had about a dozen of you women and a man (Richard) with me today as I was in the building where Dr M——a Lead Dr at AUGs has his practice. We could have gone in there and showed him all the information and evidence we have and ask him “Why are you still using polypropylene mesh?”

4. Wendy says:

I was so hopeful that finally someone is going to get the word out about the devastating complications women are going through. Someone who finally feels that the danger of mesh is severe, disappointed that they made it look like many women have benefitted from the mesh, and the ones that haven’t are having success in removal surgery. So far from the truth.

5. Sandra D says:

Did I miss something? I watched the Doctors episode and didn’t see/ hear what you ladies seemed to. I thought Mikolos and Moore were being very truthful and upfront about mesh complications, and the mesh sufferer was very clear about it as well. I never heard them compare pop mesh to Sui mesh,say that the mesh was only as thin as a hair, or make any negative comments to downplay mesh complications. Maybe I missed part of the video? Can you clarify so I can go back and see what you guys are talking about?

• msm says:

Sorry Sandra. My post was more concerning the media. The link I included is another example of how the media can skew things (media being the Internet in this case). As for the show, I wish they had given the two surgeons more time. I thought they were cut short. The high point for me was when Dr. Travis asked when does the mesh become a problem. The reply was that the mesh becomes a problem when the patient tells you it is a problem. My surgeon takes the same approach. He recognizes that it my not be problem for every patient, but when it becomes a problem it needs to be dealt with ASAP with patient’s health and well-being the priority. I have a great doc now. The complications and pain can’t always be cured as we know too well, but he’s not giving up on me. Sorry for the confusion. I probably shouldnt have posted it there.

6. terri says:

money, fame, both talk a good talk. no brainer!!!
    we live in a world were having a moral duty to others ,isn’t that high , on the agenda….these peoples health for instance. remember what goes around comes around. they will be judged!

7. mark says:

That’s funny how it works since my wife and I still don’t have sex and with the first week that destructive thing was in she call her Dr and told him she felt something poking her when she would use the restroom and all he could say was what ever you do don’t pull on it. Less than a year later had to have it removed and now she has a bladder pacemaker which requires a new battery every five years SURGERY. So tell me again how it works

8. Sandy says:

Ok ladies, perhaps the POP mesh complications are worse i simply do not know. BUT HEAR ME ON THIS!!!! Mesh for SUI has destroyed my life! Yes my mesh is out but I live in pain every single day, every single minute. I am glad this lady is pain free now. But don’t bet the bank on it that once removed the pain will go away. I live with chronic pain due to nerve damage. Now after 2 1/2 years I have found a doctor who believes what I say and has agreed to see me. My family is putting up every thing to come up with enough money for me to go see him. I was told they get hundreds of request for his help. The problem is when they put these damn meshes in they hit nerves. I guess the big medical companies didn’t train them on that part. I am a living breathing example that meshes for SUI can and do hurt women. I doubt my doctor would have given me the injections and the interstim and all the other hell I had to go through if he didn’t think there was a problem. I am so SICK AND TIRED of these men saying you should have no problems when clearly I do! I want to put meshes in every CEO in these medical companies and when they start to hurt tell them they are crazy! STOP! All us women didn’t get together and say ” Hey, let’s make all of this up just to see if we can get some money! We didn’t lose our jobs, house, relationships just so we could get some money. If the meshes just pull on the muscles then why am I still in pain after it has been removed. Because of the nerve damage. The doctor I am going to has reviewed my records and he believes there is nerve damage or he would not see me! So I wish these damn liars would stop thinking they know so damn much when they don’t know rabbit poo from raisins! The the doctors who are trying to fix women tell the story not these half lame quacks. I just so sick and tired of these kinds of stories that are so full of crap it isin an insult to every injured woman out there!

• Kitty says:

Hello Sandy I had SUI mesh removed I didnt get the OR report as yet It was just a few months ago—I don’t know what was left in. I do have POP mesh in and she said that had not eroded thru vagina as yet like the SUI. I don’t know where this pain is coming from—like Pam mentioned it could be infection. It is pelvic cramping and sacral cramping and pain upon getting up from chair and decreased endurance when walking spasms sacral and down the leg and legs. This has been a slow downward spiral for me. I was so healthy prior to the implant–never sick–none of the following in my family. I walked miles and miles–worked full time I was hit with a blast 4 months after surgery with crippling sacral pain— and then a slow downward spiral —Inflammatory erosive arthritis, Fuch’s dystrophy of the eye, Sacral Tarlov cyst— Lactose Intolerance, —Irritible bowel —Diverlticulosis—and then the mesh showed its ugly face after 10 years

• Carly says:

What is the Dr name and the State Sandy?

9. Sandy says:

Kitty I understand about the down ward spiral. I was healthy before this too. I road motorcycle, ran, hiked, danced and so much else. Now nothing. The doctor that took my mesh out said it had eroded and he could even feel it right away. He said because of the damage he did not know if he could relieve my pain. Well years later I am still suffering. I went on the FDA site and let them know the issues I have had.we need to keep screaming until some one hears what we have to say. I would give anything not to be in pain. To be able to walk through a grocery store or to have fun with my family. I have none of that. Hear me get that mesh out of you. It is a petroleum based product. Is is a substance that does not belong in the body. I have heard they can use your own tissue. I will never ever let anyone ever again put something foreign in my body. My personal opinion is your body is trying to tell you to get it out. Did you have these problems before this???? I have severe pelvic and groin and butt pain. Sometimes it goes down the top part of my leg too. Never ever again will I let someone hurt me like this! Stay strong Kitty but ask a lot of questions and get second and even third opinions would be my suggestion.

• msm says:

I had SPARC sling that eroded and was infected. I had it removed (as much as they could). That was 2 years ago. Still dealing with infection. I’m being sent to an infectious disease specialist next week. Chances are it is what’s left of the mesh. Once the infection gets in, it can’t be cured with antibiotics and has to be removed. Unfortunately, they couldn’t remove all of it. :( Hang in there. It is so frustrating!!!

10. pam says:

Jane, I KNOW THERE IS ONLY 1 OF YOU. What can we do to show proof that we are not lying against those in medical that are, and also being cruel? It is so hard to find even a nurse np, , I left today , and a nurse I had never seen , when I told her of what i had gone through, looked at me and said I do not believe what they are saying about mesh. I SAID BELIEVE IT, IT IS TRUE,SHE WOULD NOT EXAM ME, AS i TOLD HER THAT FISTULAS AND URINARY TRACT,AND MORE PAN CAME WITH MESH, i TOLD HER LET ME SHOW YOU RECORDS i GOT JUST THIS MORNING WHERE A DOCTOR SAID NO MESH PROTRUDING OUT IN VAGINIA, and then let me show you a record where a doctor, that was truthful and sat with me over 30 minutes explaining to me how far out in vaginia the mesh was protruding out in vaginia, what about begging for anti biotics, with doctors refusing those to help me through infections apparent, after he examined me, admitted the mesh protruding that he felt, , then reading his records where he denies it, JANE WE NEED MORE OF THOSE TO GO INTO EXAM ROOMS WITH US. AS 1 DOCTOR i KEPT TELLING HER , SHE WAS HURTING ME, MANY TIMES TO STOP, WITH HER SAYING BACK i AM NOT HURTING YOU, AFTER EXAM GOING TO BATHROOM AND BLOOD ON TISSUE AND SPOTS IN PANTIES, WHERE IT FELT LIKE SHE WAS TRYING TO SHOVE MESH BACK UP IN ME. SHE WAS SO HATEFUL, AND THEN SAY i HAVE AN ATTITUDE AFTER BEING TREATED SO CRUEL , WHAT CAN WE DO, IF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE EXAMINED ME , YOU COULD FEEL AND IF NOT SEE UNDER SKIN FISTULAS, as the reason why I went to the clinic , and they would not examine me , when i told them I had mesh, urine showed urinary tract infection , BUT THE LIES ARE IN THEIR RECORDS THEY WRITE ON US. i HAVE NOT DONE 1 THING AT ALL TO GET ANY KIND OF INFECTION, i cannot have a relationship , and will not start one , with infections and pain, as I have gone through for very apparent reasons, TGHEY ARE PLAYING MIND GAMES , OF LIES KNOWING THE HELL WE ARE GOING THROUGH. HOW WOULD THEY LIKE TO BE TREATED AS WE HAVE. WE ALSO KNOW WE ARE NOT CRAZY, WANT TO SEE MY RECORDS OF ANTI BIOTICS i HAVE TOOK OVER 5 YEARS? SHOWS VERY WELL , INFECTIONS STARTED SINCE MESH, BUT THEIR COLLEAGUES LIE FOR THEM, IS THIS WHAT AMERICANS TRUST THEIR LIVES WITH. ? JANE COME ON, THERE HAS GOT TO BE A WAY FOR US TO SHOW, PROOF TO YOU AND OTHERS LET ME FAX MY RECORDS TO YOU, WE NEED MORE REPORTERS TO CONFRONT THOSE SO CRUEL TO SEE WHAT THEY SAY TO PROOF, AS THE NURSE TOLD ME AFTER KNOWING i HAD JUST TAKEN 2 DIFFERENT ANTI BIOTICS FOR INFECTIONS, TOLD ME SHE DID NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUR MESH, SHE ROLLED HER EYES AT ME. BUT SHE WOULD NOT EXAMINE ME? WHY. WE CANNOT KEEP GOING THROUGH THIS, PLEASE COME UP WITH A WAY FOR WE CAN ALL SHIOW PROOF OF HELL WE HAVE GONE THROUGH WITH THOSE N MEDICAL THEY ARE NOT TELLING THE TRUTH IN RECORDS
    OF WHAT ALL HAPPENED AT ALL. PROVOKING US TO ANGER THAT BROUGHT ON ANGER BURSTS . Surely we can do something since attorneys and courts are not going to do anything or even allow these truths to come out. please help, jane or anyone that can come up with something so we do not have to go through more lies and hell.begging like I HAVE AT TIMES FOR ANTI BIOTICS. DO YOU KNOW OVER 5 YEARS NO DOCTOR EVER TOLD ME IT WAS FISTULAS i WAS SUFFERING FROM MESH ALSO, IT WAS AN ATTORNEY, BUT AS SOON AS SHE TOLD ME AND TALKED TO ME, SHE WAS GONE, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH PEOPLE THAT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TRUTH?

Pam, it sounds like you could use a patient advocate to accompany you and to help confirm what you saying… Where do you live? There is probably someone near you who could align with you… we know women and men with hernia mesh are everywhere, unfortunately. Please get back and I’m sorry. ~ ja

11. Sherry says:

I am very aware of the suicidal pain that Wanda was describing. I too had a mesh sling put in and from the get go had infections and infections and massive suicidal pain that was not listened to by my original surgeon. I could not walk or do anything. I felt like there was a butcher knife splitting me open inside. I wanted to die. My life was on a couch in constant pain. I was on morphine to try to numb the pain and even that didn’t take it all away. I want to tell women there is hope. I found Dr. Miklos and his team in Atlanta. I spoke with Dr. Miklos and we decided to go ahead with the removal of the sling to get my life back. I had the surgery and he and his staff were wonderful. I applaud Dr. Miklos and Dr. Moore for their expertise and professionalism. I also applaud them for tackling a huge problem most doctors won’t acknowledge or fix. They truly know what they are talking about. Master surgeons I say. My wish would be they would have a lot more time to discuss this issue on TV and could fix everyone that is suffering. Too many women are still suffering and that needs to stop. I want the word to get out to all women that there is hope. That segment on the Doctors show is much needed and I hope they continue to air more information about it. They did have two of the best on the show to talk about it. Today I am off morphine and living my life. I am still doing some strengthening and physio but I can stand and walk and play with my children and live life. I am off the couch!!!! The road is not easy but Dr. Miklos and Dr. Moore can get you to start living again. For me I am eternally grateful!!!

• Kitty says:

Sherry what you are saying is what Wanda said on ther “Doctors” You are a very rare case. With the Mesh sling I had—-it took years for me to figure out what was going on—pain and urine retention– More than likely you didn’t suffer from dyspuruinia (spelling)?–or other nerve damage happy for you

12. Lydia says:

Yes, they are truly GREAT surgeons for remediating mesh injured women. On their website many years ago (2009) they stated that surgeons who needed robotic equipment to do their surgery were not as skilled as surgeons who did not have to rely on such technology. (As my doctor said, he was a DaVinci surgeon and believed in it strongly. Although, he didn’t do DaVinci on me, he implanted me with mesh. Whatever was the easier path for him.) He also laughed nervously. I should have known by that comment and that nervous laugh that I was doomed. But, I trusted him and went on to have the surgery unknowling that my life would be over and I would never be whole again.

13. Sandy says:

Kitty you are so right. How can they fix nerve damage. I am going to see a doctor in July to see if he can help me. He says he has a procedure to help the nerve pain/ damage. I wish I could go sooner but have to raise money for a plane ticket. This doctor is my last hope and I am praying he can help. Yesterday was an extremely bad pain day. I am exhausted from the pain. As i told someone yesterday I have thought about suicide. If I have to live the rest of my life in pain what kind of life is that. Besides I have good life insurance and with all the money I am losing my husband would be better off if he had the life insurance. At least we would not lose our home. Last night he sat here and just let it all out. He has been supportive as of late trying to understand the pain. But as we watch people get ready for a holiday by going camping and to the lake he feels s sad and like life will never get better. I can’t promise him it will either. We all talk about our pain and issues but what about our spouses who have had to put their lives on hold too. The depression because they can not have an fun in life either. My husband and I separated for a short time over this. We fought due to money and I was alway crabby due to pain. Months later he is trying and I feel his pain too. We were so active before now we sit and wait for hope. We dream of some day which if I didn’t have this would be now. We both were making good money. Now we can’t do anything. Now I have to come up with 1,700.00 just to go see Dr. Hibner. When will all end? How much do we put ourselves through and our families through. And not to be mean to my attorney a little up date on all these settlements would be nice but we hear nothing. There is no hope right now of being paid for all our suffering. They want to offer us crap and then when we say no they will do the let them sit for awhile trick until we become so desperate for money we have no choice but to agree. I went through that on a work comp case where I hurt my back. The company even admitted I got hurt on the job but didn’t want to pay me much. Well, they did win, I had to take the crappy off to pay bills. I won’t let this happen. One way or the other I owe my husband more than what he is getting. I will give this doctor a chance to help me. But I will not live my life in pain and I will not take my husband down with me. It is not fair to him either. Ladies don’t forget about your family. Lets find a way to get someone to make this a public out cry. There has to be someone, some place that will let people know we are not only fighting big medical but the media too. So much for equal rights we women are being treated like it is the 1920’s with no rights and no value at all.

14. Melinda says:

Hey Sandy
    I just read your story and it sounded like I was reading my own autobiography I understand your pain because I live it every single day of my life and I also feel so sad for our husbands because this is not what they signed up for and I know mine will be leaving one day soon !!! Because I don’t like living with myself so if I had a choice I would not STAY !!

• Kitty says:

Sandy and Melinda—-yes our husbands My husband is very sweet and kind—but I believe he has tuned me out for quite some time. He tells me how beautiful I am and that he loves me===but sometimes i’m talking to him and its like talking to a wall He just lets it go over his head. and i’ll ask him what I said and he cant tell me He will stay—but I believe he’s loosing it mentally . What ever you do Sandy don’t take your life—-somehow we will get thru this and we will meet up

15. Sandy from Seattle says:

Jane, I am not sure where this article from the http://www.jamanetwork.com/news-item/study-evaluates-long-term-effectiveness-of-surgery-for-pelvic-organ-prolapse/ should go…I originally posted on “Secrets Hernia Patients Should Know” spot, but ran across this info from May 14, 2013 and thought it might interest some people.