Jeff Silverman: Suffering in Silence Over Hernia Mesh Pain

Nov 12th, 2011 | By | Category: Patient Profiles

Jeff Silverman

Silverman is one of many men who finds himself disregarded. Not only do medical doctors not believe his pain following  a mesh implant to treat a hernia, but the FDA has omitted men from its two warnings about the serious adverse events that can result from the synthetic implant.  He has taken his frustration to Facebook opening a group “Victims of Hernia/Vaginal Mesh Surgery” (here) .

Here’s what he says:

“I have started this group because of an ongoing medical situation in this country that is causing many people a lot of harm, pain, grief, and a deterioration of the quality of our lives and no one seems to care except a handful of doctors. I’m talking about the damage that is being caused by the mesh products that are being used to “repair” hernias for both men and women, as well as the vaginal mesh and “bladder slings” being used on women. These horrible products are taking otherwise healthy people and, for the lack of a better term, screwing up our lives for the long haul.”
“In October of 2009 I had surgery to repair an inguinal hernia on my right side and I’ve been in constant testicular and leg pain ever since with limited mobility. In fact, I’m in more pain now than before the operation and the doctors involved with my case as well as the hospital are taking no responsibility. I have found thousands of online posts by people from all over the country who are going through the same thing, and getting the same attitude from their own doctors.”

Silverman’s Story

Jeff Silverman, 51, lives in Las Vegas and is currently disabled and unemployed. For 15 years he was a blackjack dealer. He believes that the years he spent, slightly leaning over a table to deal cards and take the money, caused his hernia. He had lived with hernia pain for awhile and called it “an annoyance”  but then in June 2009 the pain got worse and so did the hernia. With no insurance benefits through his work, he signed up with the country to receive medical benefits and went to the public hospital, University Medical Center (UMC), to see whichever doctor happened to be on call.

He ended up with an oncologist who performed his hernia surgery on October 12, 2009.
Silverman was told the operation was safe and routine and he’d be up and out in a month or so,
no problem.

“I’ve had surgery four or five times and I heal quickly with no infections so I knew what to
expect. As soon as I opened my eyes I knew there was more post-op pain than I had ever felt. I
knew something was wrong,” he said.

“It felt like a brick was left inside my gut.”

Silverman says he waited in recovery until he opened his eyes and in 20 minutes he was
escorted out of the clinic.

A week and a half after the surgery, Silverman says he was still in a lot of pain and returned to
the surgical center. Another doctor was on the rotation that day. He told the doctor it felt like
the ends of a rubber band when the center is being pulled.

“Nobody got it because none was a hernia specialist,” says Silverman, though he asked to see such a specialist, he says he was denied.

Silverman later found he had received the PerFix Plug by C.R. Bard. Though he was healing on
the outside the pain never went away. “It wasn’t just the pain, it’s knowing the feeling of having a foreign object in the body, in the whole midsection,” he says, “with an intense pain on the right side radiating pain into my groin down the right thigh into the abdomen.

All points of pain are leading toward the incision,” he says.

A return to the UMC and yet another doctor injected lidocaine to see if there was any nerve
damage. The doctor never came back into the room. Instead the nurse came in with a
prescription for nerve medication.

Furious with the lack of specialist care and a general lack of follow through, Silverman wrote
a letter of complaint to the CEO of UMC. In response he received a letter from the public relations department that the doctors overseeing his care were not directly employed by UMC.

Never mind that in 2010, the Las Vegas Sun did a series of investigative reports (here) reports on UMC’s substandard care, including turning away a woman in labor who gave birth to a baby who died soon after being born.

It was now February 2010 and Silverman was sickened, not just with pain, but by the treatment he received. By this time he had seen four doctors in the surgical center and two in the emergency room on two different occasions. There was no follow up by any of them. No news outlet was interested in his story, the hospital did not want to forward his case to a specialist.

The final insult added to his injury – he could not receive narcotics for the pain.

“They refused to admit there is a problem, it’s a huge Catch 22. Everybody was trying to make
me think I’m crazy, Silverman says. “The nurse actually said to me ‘you can’t be in that much
pain’ when she refused to let me see a hernia specialist.”

For its part, Bard says its PerFix Plug has been used in four million procedures and has a chronic pain complication rate of less than 0.5% (here).

Silverman says to MDND, “Something I want to make absolutely clear because it’s something
you brought up several times and has become such a huge issue lately, the subject of narcotic
painkillers would not have been anything to even think twice about 20 years ago or even 5
years ago, but because so many people are abusing them now, the rest of us have to pay the
price. Most doctors have taken the low road and refuse to prescribe and many people, like me
who truly need them are now paying the price for the actions of others.”

Silverman will be 52 next month. He says he can’t go back to dealing cards. He lives with his
mother, who is almost blind and his father, a cancer survivor. A sister lives in Florida.

“The pain is there all the time, it never goes away. It’s there with every step I take every
movement. I can drive but it hurts. I’m not on disability and there is no workers’ compensation. I would take pain pills if I had them but I take over-the-counter stuff for pain, Tylenol and aspirin.”

He researched a medical malpractice lawsuit, but has been advised that the doctors followed a
‘standard of care’, maybe not a good standard, but one nonetheless. The FDA’s notification about the complications associated with surgical mesh, made from the same polypropylene as his Perfix Plug, only identify problems in women treated with mesh, not men.

A year ago March he went online and found hernia specialist and surgeon, Dr. Kevin Petersen,
whose clinic, No Insurance Surgery, is in Las Vegas. Dr. Petersen has a particular interest in non-mesh hernia repair and treatment of hernia mesh complications and although he has removed mesh and plugs in many hernia patients, he says some removals are impossible. Dr. Petersen told Silverman he might be able to get the mesh out but there could be too many complications. In the worst case scenario, he could lose a testicle even if the surgery is performed perfectly.

Silverman says, “The Perfix Plug has been linked to nerve entanglement, and is under scrutiny
because of reports of many post-operative complications including shrinkage, detachment, and its migration to other parts of the body where it can cause damage to other organs and nerves.

“Needless to say I’m scared to death, and I can’t get the doctors involved to take me seriously.”
#

Tags: , , , , , , ,

99 Comments to “Jeff Silverman: Suffering in Silence Over Hernia Mesh Pain”

1. Amy G says:

So tragic, how so many surgeons accepted the prostlytizing of industry reps as “gospel” before accepting the sales rep’s product as “ultimate truths.” Thanks for sharing your story Jeff.

Surgeons are scientists operating under an educated hypothesis isn’t it their duty to remain skeptical, questioning any device before permanently implanting it in an unsuspecting patient?

2. Jim Shull says:

Jeff
    I am very sorry for what you have been going thru. Also I am very sorry to read about your brother in law. I also did an interview with Jane, she does an exceptional job in giving us a voice. If you could contact me, although our cases are slightly different I may have some tips that may help you.
    Jim

• Pablo sarmiento says:

I am experiencing the same issue ,I have severe time at this moment, I need your advice.what can I do to get this pain to go away..

• Kathy says:

Look into Dr. Kevin Peterson in Las Vegas. You can find him on You Tube with a video that is quite sickening on mesh.

• stephen beck says:

I have been living with the same problem since July 2005…The pain has only gotten worse over the years..and like you I am scared to death about what to do..I can’t stand or sit to long and the swelling gets so bad that doctors actually think I have the hernias still and then they send me for surgery and the surgerons say no that its just swelling of the pain from the mesh ..

3. John Simpsom says:

I also had a hernia surgery 2009, and MY Doctor did a great job. However upon going into his office for the follow-up, He stated ” we have to go back in, ( Just above the Umbilical – belly button ), because I had Three hernias and Not one”. Then he said ” The mesh WAS DEFECTIVE “. I had gradual pain After about one year. NOW I HAVE SEVERE PAIN and every piece of food I eat, It makes the rumbling sound like if I had not eaten ANYTHING ALL day . Yes the pain is continual now and has been for about 2 – 3 months AT LEAST. I am a veteran with many other complications with other injuries. However MY last doctors visit at the VA clinic , I was in so much pain,and before they did lab, ( blood & urine samples taken ), my doctor suggested I go to the hospital. She wanted me to go to the emergency room. I had so many personal business situations I HAVE TO be present to tend to I did not go. I got the serial number off of the label of the mesh from my civilian doctor’s office and I called Johnson & Johnson who manufactured the product. They claim to have researched their files and they told me the implant I had used was NOT defected.

• Duayne says:

I had umbilical hernia surgery through Kaiser back in 2003; my surgeon looked like somebody from Little Shop of Horrors! He explained to me that the mesh was the “standard” in hernia repair. What did I know? Everything went fine, seemingly. Until two years later, in 2005, when I let out a little cough–out popped my old hernia once more. No longer having insurance at that time, and no money to pay bills (let alone go back into the hospital), I figured it was just one of those things I had to live with after all. I could push the protrusion back into my abdominal area, and go about my business for a while. Over time, it started getting worse; now, I’m in pain constantly, and feel like nothing is digesting properly if at all. When approached a year or so ago by a well known law firm regarding a class action suit against the Kugel mesh patch, Kaiser could not confirm any lot #, part #, or even my O.R. # from my records; just my name and date of surgery. How convenient, I thought. I just heard of Dr. Kevin Peterson, and am awaiting a call from him for an initial consultation. I hope I can get my hernia repaired properly. And soon!

4. Jane Akre says:

Current research indicates there is a percentage of patients who have chronic inflammatory response leading to a contraction of the mesh with potential recurrence, chronic pain, erosion injuries, adhesions, migration of the mesh and more.

Bruce Rosenburg of The National Meshoma Foundation says your situation requires further examination by a mesh complication specialist. There are few in the U.S.

Please be mindful there is a statute of limitations regarding product liability and medical malpractice.

Please contact The National Meshoma Foundation for more information at 954-701-5094.

• Pat Connelly says:

Whatever happened to Jeff Silverman; did he get the mesh out? Is he doing better?

• Jeff Silverman says:

Pat Connelly, I had the Plug removed by Dr. Petersen in November, 2012. I am now in as much pain as I was before the surgery because of the amount of scar tissue that formed. Kevin Petersen is my hero regardless of how I feel because of his expertise, his professionalism, and his honesty. I also got that surgery at no cost to me because of the foundation he started for Nevada residents called “Helping hands surgical care.” He told me up front, that 30% of people who have hernia mesh removal surgery will never experience any favorable results because of the damage that’s already been caused, but he said it could take at least a year for my body to absorb the scar tissue. I am now at seven months and I continue to lose hope, but at least that garbage is out of me. Kevin Petersen is a fighter for our side. He is the most caring and generous doctor I have ever met.

• Dear Jeff I have been in brutal pain for many years do to mesh. I am thinking of having it removed by DR petersen. I would like to ask you some things. My legs kill me. I can not do things. I have got worse as time goes on. I guess more and more scare tisue forming around my nerves! I am to the point now whereI am almost totally DISABLED.I am close to your age. And this has been the bigest battle of my life!!! I have followed you ever since I saw your story in the R.J.. I have seen DR. Petersen 2 times.And I am about to go and have the mesh removed. But it is scary I am not affraid of many things. But this is one thing that is scary. Because I don’t want to end up worse.I don’t want to do something stupid. Out of desperation. But I want to have my life back!!!!If you email me I will give you my phone # and maybe I could take you to lunch or something. I used to be in the casino bussiness too dice pits. We have alot in common besides meshed up. again Jeff I would love to speak with you. Your meshed up guy Rocky Elkins

• i am in your situation. i “am still crazy & not making sense” has been added as well as “So YOU say that a clamp came out?” along with i know you have referrels from other specialists saying that, “hernia should be fixed. but uthat was “TOO LONG AGO?” i have been very trusting & patient for too long?” @ my witts end no longer “trying to prove” all this. also heard within the last two yrs, “Oh I Don`t recall saying that if something is wrong, don`t worry, we will fix it” ??? thank you for this info, i will try to find your “wonder” doctor in Las Vegas. Thank you again I also have, “A S.” signed suffering sheri

• relief says:

myofascial release can help with scar tissue. please read this and find someone who can help you!

• Pat Cook says:

Jeff, I had a umbilical hernia repair in Dec. 07. Very painful but it healed In July of 09 I woke up in the middle of the night with what I thought was heart burn and since then I have been in a ongoing medical nightmare from hell. I no longer have a gall bladder, I have a Nissan Fundoplication. and every test in the medical world for GERD. Which has finally been concluded that is nothing wrong my stomach. It wasn’t until about four months ago that I started making the connection between my hernia repair and all the pain it has been causing. When I found a piece of the mesh stinking out through my belly button. The current surgeon I am seeing wants to repair just that part. I want The entire piece of mesh removed. But after reading this site, I think I need to seek a knowledgeable surgeon who knows how to remove the mesh. Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated
          Thank’s Pat Cook
          Kingman AZ

5. Pat Connelly says:

I am very sympathetic of your condition. Since my surgery in July 2011, and constant complaining about it not feeling right and way too tight; with the constant dismissal of you are progressing fine and healing is good. My right testicle never descended and less than a year later this past June I lost it due to atrophy. And the other surgeon i was seeing wants to repair my left side using mesh again. I refused and am seeking another doctor for their help and opinion. One thing for sure I won’t use mesh and trying to get the mesh I do have out…..!!!!! Before any more damage and complications occur. How are you doing now? I pray and wish you the best…

6. Bob Foster says:

Hey Jeff my name is Bob Foster and i also had this surgery double hernia and they put two bard mesh for repair i am also in more pain then before the surgery my entire life has been ruined i cant lift anything cant stand in one place for more then a couple of minutes. Is ther anything we can do im desperate for help please contact me back maybe we can work together on this

• james caldwell says:

Bob Jamest here I had double Hermia opp in2002 have patch on left and plug in rgt and the doctors are all the same.ignoring me and saying I’m crazy and tried to put me on anti depressants but not taking because I’m not crazy.talk to lawyers in other States to see what’s I can do.in pain since 2009 been on antibiotics for infections.don’t make sense went to surgen that did it and he said I had backing problems. Hes no back doctor how does he know.oh also they put me on prostate mess and prostate is fine been to5 doctors3of 5said I was good with prostate. What else can they come up with next. I guess I will just die. Because I’m tired of fighting with doctors over this. I could care less if I ever see another doctor in my life. Only 48here and cant liftoff standand have major pressure in legs and swollen testicoles.what can we do.

For all there is a Hernia mesh patient advocate by the name of Bruce Rosenberg who may be able to help… he is at 954-701-5094. He will probably ask you if you have all of your records. There are some hernia mesh removal docs working around the country, so don’t give up. ja

• TOMMIE ARMSTRONG says:

Hi James

My name is Lisa, and my husband had the mesh surgery and if you ever need to talk with someone feel free to call. 870-329-3204

7. Fred says:

I am two weeks post surgery for hernia treated with mesh. Initial pain in gonads and side treated with narcotic pain meds. Weaned off pain meds after 1 week. Still some pain if I move wrong. Able to walk treadmill now without pain until later in day indicating may have over done exercise. I am also diabetic and outside slice is still healing from my observation but no bleeding or infection apparent. My follow up examination by the surgeon was satisfactory in his opinion and he advised one more week of laying low and then could resume normal activity. He also told me there were no reported instances of mesh failure in the type he used. I only know what he said that there was an under layer stiched to an upper layer to reinforce the rupture. These testimonials on this site are very unnerving to say the least and i can certainly symphathize with the patients and their inablilty to get straight answers and action from their medical care facilities. I am thinking if this happens to me I will go to a lawyer and let him speak for me.

8. jackie says:

i no how you all feel i had a umbilical hernia repair with the mesh ..in 2008. im in pain 24/7 cant stand very long or set.cant lift or bend over for all of the pain cant breather eighter.have not been back cents april of this year . and i dont think i will ever be able to …my life that i once had is gone god help us all……

9. jackie says:

im sorry i cant seem to spell right.. i ment i have not been back to work…

10. jenni says:

I had umbilical hernia repair with mesh two months ago…I then caught a cold with terrible coughing fits.
    I have either torn the mesh free, or am having some reaction.
    Localized and radiating pain near site, and where it was tacked into the muscle. The pain is worse than before!
    I have an order for a cat-scan. I can only hope they dont have to go back in, that would make surgery #5 in the last year for me!

• carla baker says:

I stumbled on this site and all the comments have been eyeopening for me. I had an unblical hernia repair in jan 2013. When the dr went in I had 2 hernias.I was told I would have discomfort for 2 weeks.I was off work 4 weeks and felt fine as to be expected with nerve pings but would dimish over time…which they did..now the whole process of stomach area is swelling and muscles feel tight with sharp and constant pains.I do have an appt to go to the dr next week. My dr is definitely not recommended for his calming bedside manner.. thanks to everyone for the comments.

11. Ray Hicks says:

Jeff, I’ve had the same surgery twice 3 months apart. I’m in so much pain I can’t sleep at night. I still work but its a struggle . No one will listen . I’ve seen about 12 Drs. now. drink beer and pop pills is the only way I can get thought each day.

• jenni bach says:

I am self medicating in the same way, not fun!
      I feel your pain!
      3 surgeries in the last year! This mesh isnt agreeing with me AT ALL!

• tracey eason says:

I am really at a loss,Its been 4 years since my surgery,and everyday is a struggle,i always feel full,dont want to eat,let alone drink,but I do,(water)I always feel weak,nausea,fever,bloating,cramps,It is really disrupting my everyday life,I have seen way too many doctors,and im tired of going to the emergency room,We all know our body,and ever since my last surgery 2009,I live with pain&bloating everyday,people think im pregnant,which no im not,I just want this night mare to end so I can enjoy the rest of my life,I have two children at home with me 10yr’s old,and they see im in pain,cant function half the time,so tired all the time,I have had so many xrays,cat scans,blood work,urine,And they come back with the same answer,everything is fine,Oh my god really??Mean while my stomach is huge,I just don’t know what to do.

12. Hope Pagano says:

Have any of you been diagnosed with any auto-immune diseases after having the Mesh implant. I was healthy and now have Lupus. Lupus does not run in my family and I never had any symptoms prior to having the mesh implant surgery. I got sick two to three weeks after the surgery and was diagnosed with full blown lupus within one year of the impant surgery. It seems no one will consider the mesh or any of it’s elements as a source of my illness, which I understand to be incurrable. i got the mwsh out and eagerly await my remission.
    Hope you got your mesh out Jeff. Myself I would have gladly urinated into a bag for the rest of my life if it meant I would feel better, and from everything I have read things only seem to go down hill the longer people with issues leave this stuff in. If you are sick or in pain get the mesh out as soon as humanly possible as I am positive if I hadn’t I be dead by now.

• jenni bach says:

Hi Hope, sorry to hear that!
      I do have swelling in and or around both of my sides, possibly the pancreas and liver?
      I did have hep-c and was cleared thru treatment 4 years ago, this surgery, and or the mesh itself has created new swelling in both sides, and Ill have to go for a cat-scan to see whats going on
      What happens after the mesh removal? What holds the intestines in? I dont think I can get it out, and living in this pain doesnt seem like the quality of life I want either! Im stuck between a rock and a hard place!
      I was told to wait for the class-action lawsuit involving the type of mesh Ive got, then hop on the bandwagon…. YAY!
      I hope we’ll feel better someday!
      NOR-CAL Jenni

• AnySuggestion says:

Hope, I have been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease, MS. I had a hernia mesh implant surgery in 1995. About 6 months ago, the left side of my face went completely numb. I have also had urinary problems for a while….prostate cancer runs in the family, I figured I had an enlarged prostate and never had it looked at, I know, Not smart on my part at all. About 2 months ago, out of nowhere, I started feeling pressure in the hernia area, now it has gotten painful. The MS medications made me absolutely miserable, and out of the numerous symptoms of MS, I only have the 2 I mentioned. After reading the horror stories on here, I now wonder if the mesh has caused my problems? I am seeing a Dr. tomorrow, hopefully I can get some answers…..I will let you know what I find out…..I have read other posts from people who have Lupus, believed to be caused by the mesh……I will ask my Dr. if he knows anything about mesh causing auto-immune diseases….I’ll let you know what I find out

• Stephanie says:

Personally, I agree that surgery is a traumatic stresser to the body that triggers chronic illnesses for which we are genetically disposed.

• Bob M says:

Hello,
      was wondering how you are doing since mesh removal?? I have heard horror stories?/
      You can replay to : mr 246@comcast.net.
      I had double laparoscopic inguinal hernia with mesh June 6, 2014.
      Lets hear from you, god bless….
      BOB M.

• Bob M says:

HAS ANYONE THAT HAS HAD THE MESH REMOVED, GOTTEN BETTER??? I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I AM 6 WEEKS POST OP. HAD A DOUBLE INGUINAL HERNIA WITH MESH, BY ONE OF THE BEST SURGEONS IN DENVER( SO I THOUGHT)…STILL HAVING PAIN…DR. SAYS…” GIVE IT ANOTHER 6 WEEKS,…ha ha..don’t those fools know we need to go to work??I had large hernia on right, ( No pain) and a small hernia on Left..I specifically asked the Dr..” should we leave the left side alone?? He said, NO, you should get them both done at same time….( BAD MISTAKE,, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO MY GUT INSTINCT AND LEAVE THE LEFT ALONE) NOW IAM STUCK, WAITING TO SEE IF PAIN IMPROVES…THESE ARE ALL NEGATIVE REPLYS…DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUCCESSFUL STORY? ABOUT MESH & INGUINAL HERNIA REPAIR?…LETS HEAR FROM YOU. MY EMAIL”…mr246@comcast.net. ( has anyone had mesh removed and gotten better? please reply,
        BOB M, in Denver

13. Robert says:

Jeff:

Did you ever seek out an attorney?

Is anyone aware of a law firm that handles Male Mesh Sling implants for incontenence?

Hang in there Jeff.

14. Jim says:

I HAD A FEMEROL HERNIA REPAIR IN 1996 AND I BEEN DISABLED EVER SINCE WITH ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME PAIN PROBLEMS OF JEFF DOCTORS WILL NOT EXCEPT THERE IS A PROBLEM I GET THE SAME THING SO I BEEN IN BED FOR OVER 10 YRS NOW IT RUINED MY LIFE I’M 52 NOW

• Bob M says:

REPLY: TRY TO FIND AN ATTORNEY AND SUE…AT age 52, you are too young..to give up hope!
      God Bless. Iam 64 & just had double inguinal hernia with mesh..MY advice…DONT HAVE THIS SURGERY UNLESS ITS LIFE THREATENING…!!! THE DR. SAID OH, 2-3 weeks recovery…B.S. they don’t want to tell you the truth is really 3-4 mos, IF, it comes out right. Many people having pain after 1 year!!..you can write me: mr246@comcast.net….I may need a Dr. to remove the mesh.Who can you recommend??

Hi Bob- Call Bruce Rosenberg, The Meshoma Foundation, an educational effort by Bruce, who is hernia mesh injured 954-701-5094. He will access your situation and steer you to a non mesh doctor! thank you….! jane a. Takes a few tries to get him. He is very busy.

15. Jon S says:

I have the same exact story. Same plug. Same pain. Why won’t they recall it?!?!

16. Jon S says:

I think Bard and FDA are lying about the instance of complications.

17. jennibach says:

This man has loads of info., and is trying to get a class-action started,( I believe).
    He also has been injured by mesh.
    Hes head of The National Meshoma Foundation….
    E-Mail him at, brosenberg1@bellsouth.net.

Please folks, lets get this stuff of the market, and make them pay for our pain and suffering!

18. JoAnn Shelton says:

Hi, my name is JoAnn and my husband went in for hernia repair in 2008, he had 3 which they didn’t know till they went in for the surgery, they only seen 2. He was okay for a little while and he is so skinny you could see the screws poking through his stomach, felt weird, looked weird but you actually couldn’t see the metal of them just the bulge of where they were at. He began hurting really badly in 2010 and we noticed the screw that stuck out the most was missing, so we went to the ER, well they said there wasn’t nothing wrong with it he was fine, and then sent us home, and we went home, and then we went to another ER they did more X Rays, and MRI’s and a CT scan, well needless to say the mesh came loose, wrapped around his intestines, caused a blockage and was going into his scrotum. So they had to go in and do surgery again, he still has lots of pain was in the hospital for about 15 days and still has problems, he is 37 and now he has no sex drive, doesn’t even really get a erection, and still hurts in the area he had his hernia’s removed, and the crazy part is when they were in there the last time they took his appendix out (just cause they were in there, there was nothing wrong with it the Dr. said but it would save from problems ever with it.) The Dr. said there was another hernia but it was to small to mess with and we can’t find a lawyer that does anything with the Male Mesh Implants. Does anyone know of one?? Thanks JoAnn my email is angelwhorns333@aol.com

19. George E says:

I had an inguinal bilateral hernia surgery with mesh, and I have had pain ever since, my pain consist of like sore ness to sharp pain, when I lay down pains goes away, once I stand up for a short while pain starts. I was looking to get them removed. Has any one seen Dr. Petersen in Las Vegas? Email me to talk
    Raidernation07es@yahoo.com

20. sandra says:

Hi…I’m about to have surgery,this third the 11 of April ’13…it’s a bariatric surgeon who knows my case.my first hernia surgery was stitched shut because of appendices.I’m still in EXTREME pain at the site 5 mos.later.been on pretty heavy narcotics but it’s not touching it( morphine n percs )neither which even touch the pain now.they think it’s scar tissue n r planning on doing exploratory n me w mesh to reinforce the stitched original hernia surgery.ready all from u guys I’m scared.I also have blown discs in my back degenerative disc n scoliosis.I’m 33 have 2. Little girls..I can’t get worse.if there’s any advise or suggestions pls let me know..

21. Georgio says:

I had bi-lateral hernia mesh repair a couple years ago. Before surgery no visable sign of hernia, but felt like a dagger was stuck into my pelvis. Was recently fit and swam 1 mile 5x week. Got where I couldn’t walk pain from dagger. Feels like they lined my entire abdomen & pelvis from just below my belly button to down my legs with mesh. I can really feel it in there but it’s tollerabe compared to dagger pain. Recovery was at least nine months on the couch with pain pills. Temporarily improved for a couple months after 3 months constant bed rest. Dagger sticking in pelvis remains today. Very upsetting that can’t get an erection after proceedure….not even significant morning erections.
    At least now I can walk, but only in and out of the grocery store, and unable to swim. No hiking or walking for exercise. Every day is a struggle and painfull at any task….it hurts to put socks on.
    I don’t have any hope or plans to try hernia repair again as it could be worse. Thinking about a penis implant so I could at least have sex maybe again one day?

22. Jason says:

I can certainly relate to Jeff. I had an inguinal hernia surgery in Oct 2009 with the Ethicon Prolene mesh instead. I have had constant pain ever since and suffered emotional breakdowns and lost my job. I have sought help with the Mayo Clinic here in Arizona and they have given me a nerve block once with little success. I am going to try it again as they advised it can take several treatments to see if relief can happen. But I too have had a feeling of something like a brick or large foreign object inside of me everyday. I have a variety of pain in the surgical area as well as referred pain into my testicles that is the equivalent of being kicked in the groin many times every week. I am determined to fight this and add my name to the growing list of surgical mesh patients with complications. I was not given a choice in surgery types and was not aware of the mesh problems being reported already at that time. I assumed my doctor had my best interest at heart, however, I now realized that had I options. And no matter what, people need to be aware of potential complications before having mesh surgery. My doctor said it was ” virtually 100% fail safe” when I inquired about how the success rate of the mesh procedure. Now I know better…

23. Chadley McVeigh says:

Mr. Silverman: Until I read this article… I thought I was alone among men with surgical mesh pain syndrome and related complications. I have two, one in each hip. I have developed an umbilical hernia. I have fibromyalgia and evidence by way of MRI of bilateral cerebral lesions. Gastrointestinal complications and sexual pain and dysfunction. My research began 5 days ago. I have already learned that a surgeon is willing to remove them; that it is necessary. I have learned some very rudimentary chemistry during my sleeplessness; specifically concerning the process of chemical migration. Chemical Migration of Polypropylene, in my opinion is a significant factor to overall poor health for those who suffer PPE medical device complications. In combination of scarring and the stiffening of mesh implants, this property of chemical migration of foreign objects in the human body is a key factor in removing them from the market. I have also learned that research in hindered because the research labs are using polypropylene containers during the investigation into PPE safety in medical devices. The fact that researchers discard their work as inclusive due the the chemical migration of the containers and other laboratory tools and equipment coming in contact with PPE medical device samples for contamination should be a huge RED FLAG. This is what I have learned and developed as opinion in just a short week of study. The information is buried deep, but is available. I want to learn everything and do everything I can. This is not only a travesty of individual lives, but a shame to the medical profession as well… Greed at its most immoral. May God Bless Mesh Victims and their loved ones. Interested advocates please email me at cmcgoogphn@gmail.com

24. jane C says:

I had an abdominal mesh put in because of double hernia. Had this surgery Sept. 2011. ! Started having sharp pains on the right hand side of my lower abdomen goinf down my pelvic area.
    Who can I speak to abour this?
    jane C. Orange County. CA

25. I had a failed PerFix Plug that wrapped around my sperm cord and caused the strangulation of the blood flow to my right testicle. My testical had to be removed via emergency surgery. I did contact Davol and they asked to review my medical records for compensation. My medical records confirmed that it was a failed plug by Davol Bard. I had the product number and serial number to prove this was the failed plug in my body and Davol Bard still did not agree to compensate me. I have some suggestions on how to make a cause/form a group for all men damaged by the mesh. The attorney’s seem to be interested in only the female cases. Men who have been damaged deserve compensation for product failure. Davol needs to pay for this bad product.
    We should all work together to let Davol Bard know this is a serious cause for men and we intend to work as a group with one strong voice.
    Please contact me.

• Mile Meghreblian says:

Frank, are you familiar national association injured disabled workers NAIDW. 847-629-5148 or 888-788-6243 ask for john. Tell him I refered you. Thanks.

26. Dennis says:

My story is just a little different. I had open umbilical hernia surgery in July of 2013. When i woke up in the recovery room the Dr was standing there and he asked about my pain level. When I told him how badly I hurt he upped my medication to dilaudid instead of the percocet. He also told me that they had done an open repair verses the laproscopic that i was supposed to have. 11 days later I was put into the hospital for pain and diarrhea. He stood at my bed and said that he had caused this but he didn’t say what it was he caused. They tested me for food poisoning, C-Diff and a host of other things and everything came back negative.
    Yesterday was my fourth trip to the ER. I’ve been hospitalized twice and no one knows what’s wrong. I have felt the mesh pull a couple of times but my pain is lower. It seems to be nerve pain of some sort.
    I have signed up with a pain clinic here in Phoenix and I am hoping for some sort of relief.
    I have a pretty good job in construction management, play golf on a regular basis, travel with my wife and spend a lot of time with my grandkids. Life has been good……..not so much now. I live on pain meds, spend most of my time either in bed or in my chair and I have only worked two weeks since July.
    I feel like my life as I knew it is over.

Dennis- that is not a quality life. Please contact Bruce Rosenberg at brosenberg1@bellsouth.net. He has formed the Meshoma Foundation and has a wealth of information that may be helpful to help you regain your health. I’m sorry. all you did was trust your doctor. What does he say now?

27. Mile Meghreblian says:

Thank you Jeff Silverman.

28. FRANK POLLARD says:

Hello: I have had 4 groin hernia surgeries. The last one was in February, 2010. I have suffered from severe and chronic pain since the very first surgery in 2006. I have had the left and right repaired twice due to recurrent hernias on both sides. The last mesh implant was the worse. It took me 3 1/2 years to get my Social Security Disability. I have been on pain meds since 2007. I just go into pain management in September 2011. My Florida doctor knew exactly what was causing the pain and I have had many different treatments, including steroid injections into the nerves and heated electric radio waves to burn the outer nerve to control the pain. I have swollen testicles, lose stools, swollen lower abdomen, painful intercourse, and the list goes on. I cannot walk properly without pain. I cannot lift anything heavy and prefer to lay down to control the pain as well as limited sitting in a chair. Contact Dr. Kevin Petersen of Las Vegas, Nevada. His web site is http://www.noherniainsurance.com. There is a link to a Special News Report on mesh and samples of mesh removed as well as testimony regarding the agonizing pain one suffers. Also, there is testimony that doctors acknowledge a 20% failure rate and severe complications related to mesh. I just contacted a Florida Attorney who is filing suit as a defective medical device. There is only a Krugal mesh law suit that is advertised the most. The last mesh was Prolene. Also, men are neglected in this society, but if you had a transvaginal mesh implanted, no problem, but I don’t have a vagina. There is also discussion of the FDA Warnings about mesh, but it is not specific to male hernia mesh. Dr. Petersen has removed mesh. He also does not use mesh in hernia surgeries. He has done over 5000 surgeries. He is completely against the use of mesh.

29. keith kellum says:

hey jeff my name is keith i know what your going through i’m going through it now and have been since 2010 i have had so many infection’s and operation’s because of the surgery i have seen 4 different doctor’s all but 2 said that the mesh has to be what’s causing all my pain swelling infection’s burning i can’t even have sex with my wife i will fight this tooth and nail i payed to be fixed not to be screwed up for the rest of my life .if you know something that might help me out let me know and i will do the same just drop me a email thank’s and good luck.

30. Angie Johnson says:

My son had hernia surgery in May of this year and has been in pain every since. He is a singer, songwriter, and player of many instruments and it broke my heart to hear him say that he might have to give it all up and go on disability and live out his life medicating himself with whatever pain killers he could find on the street as they would not prescribe him anything for the pain. His surgeon stated his pain was not related to his surgery in any way. I became angry and set out to find an answer for him as he is only 28 years old and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let anyone turn my son into a drug addict for lack of their morals!!! By the grace of God I found this site on the web. God bless you Jeff for speaking out. God is going to get him to Las Vegas before this week is out! What these sorcerers are doing is wrong! Thank God for men like Dr. Peterson!! My prayers are with you all.

Angie- Best of luck to you and your son for finding Dr. Petersen… Please let us know how he does. I’m sorry for the treatment you received and the denial you received from the surgeon. Please let us know how he does… many hernia folks are also suffering and looking for any remedy… stay in touch on that and thank you~ Jane a.

31. I’m so sorry to get off topic, but I’m starting my first blog and was curious what platform this one is.

32. michele says:

hello,i believe we spoke back when you n i and may be 2 others first had our surgeries and were havng serious problems,fast forward and i am stii having sreous issues,please e mail me ,more 2 come99 @aol.com , any one ,with any info,has anyone else gotten an auto immune desiese, tumors ,cancer,it seems that that is the progressaion in cases like ours! im so desprite ,

33. Angie Johnson says:

Jane, My son’s name is Tyler and he has not gotten the surgery yet as we are unable to secure all the money it is going to take for him to have the surgery. Do you know of any place we might be able to turn to for help? We are able to come up with half of the money it is going to take for him to be operated on and I am still saving every penny I can but it is going to take quite some time at this rate. He now uses a cane to help him get up and down out of chairs and such. Any advice you might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am just beside myself as to what to do to help my son. Thank you.

34. johnathon white says:

My name is johnathon. I am a 38yr old male. I had bilateral hernia surgery in 2006. Mesh was implanted. I suffer from severe pain starting from my left testicle and radiating down the inside of my left leg. It is a horrible nonstop pain that I can’t get anyone to understand. I have experienced a noticeable loss of sensation/numbing of an area around the scrotum and inner leg. I am experiencing a noticeable loss of quality of life even to this day. I have sought treatment for thus pain, which began about a year after the surgery. I have been told it was everything from nerve damage from mesh implant, testicular nerve damage, and more recently I was told it was all in my head and I must be a narcotic pill seeker became i can’t still be hurting from this after all these years

35. johnathon white says:

My name is johnathon. I am a 38 yr old male. I had bilateral hernia surgery in 2006. Mesh was implanted. I suffer from severe pain starting from my left testicle and radiating down the inside of my left leg. It is a horrible nonstop pain that I can’t get anyone to understand. I have experienced a noticeable loss of sensation/numbing of an growing area around the scrotum and inner leg. I am experiencing a noticeable loss of quality of life even to this day. I have sought treatment for this pain, which beigan several months after the surgery. I have been told it was everything from nerve damage from mesh implant, testicular nerve damage, and more recently that the mesh has caused some type of testicular cord tanglement. I have seen more doctors than I can count since 2007 and am slowly losing hope. Even the doctors that want to help have explained to me that the mesh I was implanted with causes scarring and nerve damage and there are now new risks, aside from the costs.
    Everyone on tv talks about women and vaginal mesh…. can someone please help me out with- what i feel- is defective mesh used in male hernia surgery…? I have been dealing with this pain for almost 7yrs now and had almost lost hope til i came across these posts. Thanks. Johnathon

36. I am the wife of Billy joe,and he is the one who had the surgery and has had the same things happen to him.The lawyers who say they can get you thounds in settlements told me it was only for women.Drs. dont believe you could be in that much pain or have that many problems with him only being 34.He had his surgurery in claiborne which also was not A specialist.He was only30 when he had his surgery and most of the time he says he would be better off dead,which really depresses me,because I cant do anything to help him,and he dont even want to go to A DR. because he says they treat him like he is crazy.It was nice to see somone doing something about it,maybe the more who come out they will start to notice. Thank You, Billy joe and Misty McIntosh

37. SteveH says:

Hello,
    Approx 9 years ago I went to my urologist and he told me I had a hernia. I told him I never even realized it. I had lived most of my life without medical insurance thus got very used to ignoring pain. I went to the surgical group he suggested, was examined, and set a date to have it repaired. I was told it was a simple in and out surgery and problems would be minimal. After the surgery was completed I felt a massive burning sensation from my scrotum down to my knee on the right side. I was told this type of pain was common and should go away after healing. As it turns out I didn’t have a simple hernia I had 5 of them and 3 were very large. The Dr. couldn’t even look me in the eye when he said he was surprised that I was up and walking. He said there was literally nothing that he could sew the mesh to as it was all torn up in there.
    As the years went by the original pain either diminished somewhat or I got used to it. It is however still always there in the background. Additionally, I have many other areas of pain and they are progressively getting worse. I can feel it in both hips, not necessarily at the same time, as well as in my buttocks, the fronts of my legs, the inner thighs, and worst of all my testicles. I do not have abdomen pain which my current Dr is fixated on that I should have. I do however feel a very prickly sensation down there on occasion and almost daily it gets hot and sweaty. I am now 57 and just came off of 3 months sick leave. Rest and staying off my feet was a big help but not a cure. While out I talked with a highly recommended surgeon who said he would not operate as it would cause far more problems than leaving it, as nerves and tissue have grown through the mesh. He said that If it was removed something else would have to be put in it’s place because of the severity. This pain is similar to a bad toothache that is always there in one degree of pain or another.
    I did go see Dr Peterson and although impressive he wasn’t all that encouraged about taking it out. He said they could try taking out one side and see if that helps, but it would be expensive. I went back to work last week and worked 2 days. I am now dying from the pain and dreading going back on Monday. I am currently at my wits end and don’t know what to do.

Steve are you familiar with Bruce Rosenberg? He is hernia mesh injured. His profile is on page one… brosenberg1@bellsouth.net or 954-701-5094… sometimes hard to get a hold of but he might have some suggestions for you on a path to better health. I’m so sorry this happened to you. Kevin Peterson is considered a good doctor with hernia mesh removals from what I understand. He is in Las Vegas for those of you who are wondering…..~ ja

38. Victoria says:

I have read your article and know your many concerns. However, because of the length of time that has passed you would have too get a hernia specialist who has toured the Countries of the World to operate on your removal of plug/mesh propylene products. Only a sonogram and an ex ray will determine how much of the other organs were entangled and excised before and after this next surgery. I recommend the two physicians in the Ohio area hernia ops are inexpensive because of the affordable act insurance now and going to in & out surgery clinics are not acceptable for an evasive surgery. It’s too late for State medical until your 65 yrs of age. But I recommend a few try Dr. Grischkan, in Ohio and Homero Rivas in Stanford California. Do not go to a colon surgeon or a general practitioner. This type of allergy to mesh and plastics is not uncommon and you could lose more of your lower abdominal extremities as well. Ask to have your procedure video taped this is not uncommon so you can make a copy for the medical review of the previous surgeons skills and possibly have him removed from performing this type of surgery at all.

39. My husband had surgery at a northern California Kaiser for inguinal hernia in 2002 and a mesh implant was the recommended treatment. Starting within the first weeks after surgery Mark showed signs of infection and eventually formed fistulas.He was off work for a year, in constand pain and eventually Kaiser decided it might be good to remove mesh. When they performed that surgery they removed the vas and never bothered to inform us that we were done having children. I have contacted lawyers who deal with women’s mesh issues but.
    they were representing men….Is there an attorney handling injuries to men from mesh? Life hasn’t been the same and it isn’t right.

Christy- I believe the advertise I have this month on page one is doing that. You might check… Certainly there needs to be more action in this regard.

40. Naropa Sabine says:

Well,
    Here I am recovering from my inguinal surgery. A surgery in which mesh was implanted. According to my doctor this was the most effective, safe, etc etc. I didnt do research. I am 41 and am in good health and am now deeply concerned about the long term prospects for the mesh. I am curious to know if one does elect to remove the mesh if it is better to do it in the short term after the surgery to prevent it from actually bonding with the muscle and nerves. I am incredibly concerned about this situation and horrified that i was not informed of the growing body of evidence of ill-effects. Ant info would be much appreciated. I am currently acquiring my medical records.

Naropa- Let’s put this in perspective. Some folks do not have problems… they may feel the mesh from time to time in a hernia repair, but may not be reactive…. the truth is no one understands why some react and some do not….true informed consent would have offered you options to polypropylene mesh …such as old fashioned suture repair. Yes also used with polyp sutures but far less of the plastic. dr kevin Peterson in las vegas might be a contact for a secondopinion. also bruce Rosenberg, hernia injured, is very measured about the issue 954-7015094. he is a researcher and founder of the meshoma foundation….he will give you an honest appraisal. Best not to panic in my opinion.

41. tony says:

I had a double inguinal repair and I am going thru some pain ever day. Going through the same thing he is going thru I am done cant take this no more

Tony– the best resource for hernia injuries is Bruce Rosenberg 954-701-5094. He is hernia mesh injured and a terrific researcher and knows the best docs…..

42. Could someone please give me the name an number of the doctor in lousville ky ,Dr Sean Francis ,does not take my insurance,, I have been waiting ,till July 7th ,as early as they could see me there ,suffering ,crying ,on strong pain meds that don’t stop my pain,now today found out he won’t be able to see me ,disapoitment is a understatement ,I’m drowning and no one will help me ,been in bed going on 4 months now ,I have no life, it wears me out going to the bathroom ,tired from no sleep ,worried ,stress ,looking out not to have heart attack from the stress ,this is one big never ending nightmare,, every day a little worse ,I guess that’s what they won’t ,till nothing left I will be gone an one less worrie they will have ,,I can barley hold my head up ,my grand daughters yell me every day hope u feal better mamaw ,and I’m slowley fadeing away ,put a price on that ! I’m only 52 I may not mean anything to the killers who did this to me ,but to my presious grand baby’s I do ,its a shame we live in a world ,I’ll bet one damn thing if it were the mesh company’s family they would be taken care of ,lack of good insurance would not stand in there way ,they would have done seen the doctor and been healed by now ,,more has been taken from me then I will ever get back ,what right do they have to put a price on my life ,they should leave me to that ,settle for what they dasy .and live like I have no ,I will not settle for less then the took ,,they think they are doing a woman a favor when they award her two million ,after lawyers get fourth five percent ,the doctors who did it to you bepaid ,and you pay for repairs ,after everyone is paid you do good to have money to live on for a year,,that’s just plain wrong ,the ones that did no suffering get gasr more the you do ,I’ve been done wrong enough ,all I wonted was to feal better ,I have so far suffered ,felt like a torchred animal ,no qualify of life at all bed redden past four months ,Abel to do nothing with my grand baby’s ,the best years of my life have been the worse ,an they tell me what I desirve ,how airgant,, I am a human being ,I asked for none of this ,now God help !me I can’t find a doctor who. Taskes my insurance to get it out .they had no problem taking it to put it in ,,,,……angela Gibson has nothing left the stole my family my life my health ,my respect my digtney ,,what am I doing laying in the bed waiting to die not living ,,,,,an look why ,,I’m not dead yet, if I lay here keep suffering I’ll be doing a news interview from my bed ,,,,I’ve lost my life because of the mesh anyway I got nothing elce too loose ,living in fear an pain because they are greedy had a cold heart ,they have known for a long time they were allow.ing poison to be put in us. ,I am not a
    Lab rat I don’t won’t this in me one more day,,I’m in one room 24\7 hear people talking about life like I committed a crime ,I’m locked up I can’t go ,a, prisoner ,torchred what do u give someone for being torchred for two years tell bpb,I won’t them to know no updates no news no help ,watch me go down like a old sinking ship ,ive be.gged and tryed to get help someone please hear ,please help me ,,for the love of God I’m a good woman with a family ,I’m loved ,,you are not only hurting me I have a Wonderful family who is innicoent .

43. Kathy Sabatino says:

I had a hernia repair in 1994 using the same mesh. I had pain from the start but no one listened to me. Only after the mesh became so infected, red and inflamed was I taken seriously. Even though I was lucky enough to have a doctor at Kaiser dissect me and clean out as much mesh as possible I am still in constant pain in my groin.
    I can’t believe J & J can still legally put this mess in human beings!

Kathy

44. Ian MacKenzie says:

OMG~ Jeff Silverman, I had the same surgery 22months ago now (Sept 18th, 2012) and I am living the same exact nightmare that you are… Only to top it off, I was already disabled from a severe motor vehicle accident in which a semi truck hit my car while I was driving on the turnpike. The only reason I mention the accident, is because I got the hernia doing core strengthening exercises at PT when I was learning how to walk again… I can’t move without agonizing pain like my right testicle is being crushed, the pain shoots into the inside of my right thigh but mainly up the inguinal canal towards the incision areas. My surgeon told me this was the normal stage of recovery when this started about day four after the operation. And continued to tell me the same for three months even though I was begging him to take the mesh out because something just wasn’t right. Then I finally asked him if he had ever seen this before in any of his other patients and he said “No” So I said then how the heck are you telling me this is normal??? The more time that went by the pain areas spread quickly up into my abdomen, & small intestine area right where the mesh is placed and has continued to spread vertically across my mid abdomen (belly button line) starting from the right side where the pelvic bone is- then went towards my belly button across the top of the mesh and now spread 6″ to the other side of my belly button. It feels like I am being cut open & stabbed with a knife. The pressure in my groin is unbelievable. I’ve lost my life and have to stay on the couch even with pain meds. Then my state dropped my Medicare December 31st when the AFHCA went into place as law and my state didn’t see fit to revamp it’s Medicare system leaving me with no health insurance for the last 7months and no doctors will see me because I don’t have insurance. I can’t bathe myself, I can’t play with my daughter, I can’t walk my dog 20ft in the back yard. I am losing my mind and the surgeon who did the operation has no interest in even hearing about the continued and worsening of my post surgery symptoms. I saw a 2nd doctor after my surgeon told me he’d never seen this before and couldn’t explain it. The 2nd surgeon told me he has seen it but there is no known cause and “most” cases he has seen have cleared them selves up or healed on their own in a year or two…. ? What the hell is that? So I have to live with this, the state knew I was in this situation and will need more treatment possibly more surgeries- which at this point I don’t know that I will ever let anyone cut me open again. I am 42yrs old and I need help… No one cares. My partner even left me because I can’t have sex. Making it about her and that I wasn’t attracted to her anymore.. Guys, if someone grabs one of your balls and crushes it with their hand or if someone kicks us down there- what do we do? We roll on the ground in fetal position in the worst agony ever. All because of some polypropylene mess in my body that no one has even thought to check to see if I am allergic to the mesh.

After all polypropylene is made from glycol propylene or propylene glycol which is able to lower the freezing point of water, and so it is used as aircraft de-icing fluid. Water-propylene glycol mixtures dyed pink to indicate the mixture is relatively nontoxic are sold under the name of RV or marine antifreeze. Propylene glycol is frequently used as a substitute for ethylene glycol in low toxicity, environmentally friendly automotive antifreeze.

And this is in our bodies. That wasn’t mentioned nor were many other things in the “Informed Consent” form…
    My whole groin area feels like there are spiked sea urchins under my skin. I can feel lumps like lymph nodes that are very tender to touch. If I even graze that area the instant pain caused is so severe it makes me jump up 2ft- exaggerated example, but it is needed to give the full extent of pain. This is such a severe medical situation and my doctors either half believe me or say it’s all in my head… But I was a very out going person and avid outdoorsman, EMT, white water rafting & kayaking guide, rock climbing guide and instructor. I even owned my own business, an indoor rock climbing gym. But since no one will help me or take responsibility of any kind, I’ve lost everything except my home of 16yrs and that is next if I can’t find help… Even the folks at the Department of Health and Human Services, who are the folks that run the Medicare system here in my state will not talk to me. If I get someone on the phone, they act concerned, tell me they’ll get back to me with information on getting my health care back, saying while on the phone with me, that they can’t believe this is happening and that no one will help… Then even they never call me back either. I have no advocate. All I have is my 7yr old daughter who is my life and I am fighting to get my life back- but I can’t even keep up with her for 10mins without having to lay down on the couch- where I spend 18+ hours a day. If anyone is willing to talk to me that knows what I am going through please reach out to me—>vertigo112003@yahoo.com

I am at my wits end and am so desperate for relief from this pain caused by a supposed “simple surgery” that some how went severely wrong and is now spreading through out my body- but no one around here cares… They all say they understand at first but that ends pretty quickly once the doctors, family and or friends reach a point where they don’t know what to do other than turn it back on me, get mad at me because I can’t do the things they know I used to do, then pull away from me all together leaving me alone-literally alone through all of this once my girl friend left me 3months after the surgery… No one really understands this, unless they are living with it! If you read this Steven and can respond, I would love to hear from you. You have had more care (I know it’s not good care from what you wrote) than I have in regards to follow up procedures, removal of the mesh, etc.

Best to all ~ Ian

Ian- your best bet for a new direction is to contact Bruce Rosenberg 954-701-5094 with The Meshoma Foundation. He is hernia mesh injured but full of information on the latest treatments and doctors, though he is not associated with any of them. brosenberg1@bellsouth.net

• Ian MacKenzie says:

Thank you Jane!

Many Blessings to all ~ And especially to those who are and have been suffering with these horrible & severe mesh complications from what was supposed to be a common & simple surgery (per the words out of my Surgeon’s mouth before the operation). If I had known all that I know & feel now- this day, 22months later, I never would’ve had the surgery to begin with… I could’ve lived with that pain & still had my life today.

Ian

45. Ian MacKenzie says:

I just found out today that the mesh used for my right side- inguinal hernia repair/surgery was the
    BARD 3-D MAX mesh prosthesis… I am wondering if anyone here knows about this mesh type and or if you’ve had this same mesh implanted in you. As well if you have been or are suffering from complications from the use of this mesh type as I have been since the surgery 22months ago.

Jane, I know from my first two postings that you as the moderator check these posts before you let them become public and or seen on your website. I haven’t figured out how to contact you directly but wanted to ask you a question about the articles you write and how you choose or decide who to write about? I did reach out to Bruce as you suggested the same day you wrote that reply to me but he’s not responded via my email that I wrote to him or the phone calls & messages I left for him either. I’m in such a severe situation with no income, living alone this whole time, my story is very strange at best. And by that I mean there is a lot to it that I didn’t write in my post because I didn’t know how much I wanted to share on the internet. I live in Maine. The State took my Medicare away last December knowing I had already been through 14months of severe problems, completely bed-ridden and needing more surgery and treatments- Their reasons stated in the letter to me were that I have no income and that my 7yr old daughter whom I have shared custody of, does not live with me as her “primary residence” – Not really good reasons to take away someone’s health insurance while they are in need of it the most. And so I haven’t had ANY care for seven months now. The State keeps bouncing me around telling me they will help, setting me up with the Department of Health & Human Services case workers- some of who know me and then a new one who said he couldn’t understand why this is happening to me and that he would “get on it” to find out why I was denied health insurance that I had since 2005 through the State right while I need it the most. Not one of them, no matter how concerned and kind they talked to me on the phone telling me they will help me has ever called me back. It’s been almost two months since I was turned over to the new case worker who seemed the most concerned and genuinely wanted to help me- Not even he will return my calls since we spoke on the phone that one time where he expressed such bewilderment and awe of my situation and lack of medical care. Basically where I am going with this is that I want to ask you if you would be willing to talk with me and listen to my story. I would type you a long letter but because of the neurological brain injury I sustained when the semi truck hit my car while I was driving on the turnpike here in Maine 2010- I can’t read or write for more than 10mins. It took me almost two days to write that original post above. Anyway, where I am alone in this, literally, I was kind of hoping that you might be willing to help me- If you were to listen to my story and write about it so people here in Maine can see/read about what is going on (not much about Maine gets out to the rest of the Country- you may or may not know this) with me that it could indirectly help me to wake people up. I was in such pain today that my Mother (bless her soul) took me to a urologist to see if there was anything he could do to help me. While I was there, he left me in the room alone for about ten minutes and I happened to glance at the computer screen in front of me while waiting. What I saw was so unbelievable I almost, well… got mad to say the least… What I saw was the record of my last visit with the surgeon who performed my hernia repair (this is where I was able to see the type of mesh implanted in me- when after 22months of asking what type it was I’ve been ignored, not responded to and couldn’t get my own medical records from the surgeons office. What made me so mad though was that he wrote in my records that he told me several things that he NEVER did, that I didn’t follow through with his after care directions in a timely manor but he never gave me any info other than take your pain meds and this will heal it’s self- (by that time my health insurance was taken away anyway even if he had given me a treatment plan, I live an hour from his office and had no way to pay for medical treatments anymore or even get there living alone) He wrote several things that JUST ARE NOT TRUTH and THAT DID NOT HAPPEN. He is obviously trying to cover his butt. I couldn’t believe it though and now I know why I was denied SSDI last month. The last time I saw this surgeon I’m talking about was Oct 2013- And he even had the nerve to write that I said to him, the testicular pain I had been complaining of to him since the surgery had all but resolved it’s self!
    I couldn’t believe it when I read that. And then after I caught the glimpse of all that, I left the specialist’s office, asked for a copy of the record from today’s visit and read it in the parking lot before I went home. He did the same thing! I complained of all sorts of symptoms, etc. But the report said I had none of what I complained about. So I went right back into the office and told the office manager what just happened and that this was unacceptable as well as detrimental to my case because had I not asked for it and just left- it would’ve been permanent in my medical records. And that added to the other Doctors who are, and have done the same thing to me, in not keeping correct notes of all my office visits, my complaints and things they told me but now say they never said, etc. If all of this incorrect information that was recorded incorrectly & is now part of my medical records was actually done properly, as it has all really happened- I would have disability insurance through the State today, in fact I never would’ve lost it. I’ve written to my Senator, local news channels, reached out to many different state organizations here in Maine looking for advocates- but finding none willing to follow through and really help me. I know you don’t know me at all and I could be just someone doing the blah blah blah for attention, but I am not. I wouldn’t and couldn’t ever make all this stuff up if I tried. So I thought I would ask you if you’d be willing to talk with me and if you were to talk with me, possibly include me in your stories of folks suffering in silence- I’ve got a pretty unbelievable story to tell. But no one to tell it to or anyone who will listen. I just kept getting pushed to the next doctor, even @ today’s appointment, when the doctor first walked in he said, I don’t know what I can help you with other than your incontinence issues. I am not a hernia specialist. I wanted to cry. $389 for a 25min visit only to be told how to try to relax when I urinate! I have to stop writing as I’ve been working on this since I got home today at 3pm- I can only pray that you might be willing to talk with me and help me get my story out to those here in Maine and to others who are suffering & have literally lost their lives. I truly believe if you were to talk with me that it could be the fuel I need to help get my health insurance back so I can have some sort of help after almost 8months with no help or insurance. I am assuming that you will not let this be posted, as it is directed to you.

I am sorry that I couldn’t find a direct way to reach out to you.. My email address is vertigo112003@yahoo.com

Many Blessings to you Jane… And again thank you for your time & for all you have done in spreading the word about this on going and horrible thing that the pharmaceutical companies are doing to us. Point in fact, I was never even given the choice of mesh or no mesh, nor was I EVER talked to about the complications that could arise from the use of these mesh implants in the Consent to Treat discussion/form… If I had, I never would’ve had the surgery or I would’ve chosen the $5 suture method instead of putting an implant inside me that is used for antifreeze into my body which it is severely rejecting. And I asked repeatedly for the surgeon to remove the mesh starting a month after the surgery right through six months post sugery and he kept saying he could not go back in so soon. That was a flat out lie… And the more time that goes by, the more the pain areas have spread now through out my small intestines, groin, into my right leg, who knows where else now at 22months post surgery- and the rest that I wrote about in my original post… The last thing I want to say to you before I end this, is that the surgeon who did the operation on me will not even talk to me, see me or take calls from me for the last year and all I’ve ever wanted to share with him, which HE TOLD ME TO DO- is keep in touch with him & his office nurses, letting them know of ANY & ALL changes/worsening of my symptoms. They don’t care. And yes I am desperate, humbly asking for your help.

Kindest Regards~ Ian

Ian I will send your email along to Bruce … try his number 954-701-5094… try several times.. he is injured himself. The no insurance is a problem…. then again Kevin Petersen in Las Vegas does not even take insurance. I know you live in Maine. I will send Bruce your email and get you two together… he will be incredibly helpful… Your doctor has let you down, big time… shame on him. you can reach me at 904-613-2828… we’ll get you two together! Thanks for trying again…..~ ja

46. Hello.my friend told me to ome here thank god..i had a naval hernia was repaired by mesh.im glad to see im not alone.i had this done 4years ago a vaginal mesh implant to repair my hernia..i used access as well for treatment .two weeks after i saw my dr told him i have alot of pain that travels from an incision point left hip to my bellybutton along with ithers ..my dr told me be a man not a p….y. …was suppose to be off work 6_8weeks he released me that day.i loaded trucks in a warehouse for a automotive parts company..lifted 100pounds all day.well i heard and felt ripping noises in mybelly area and. Quit that and did the counter sales job.i get pains everyday.from left side to belly.and others near my rib cage shooting pains into me testixals that kill me. I sleep with obects under my sides because it pulls and hurts to…stretch it.,.i have constant pain all around the area of bellybutton. I cant get up and do anything without the aid of pain pills …not ibuprofen or tylenol…id have to take a 100 a day and at that it diesnt help.i had a friend give me a 15mg oxy one day at work ..a month after surgery..i said that worked greatvi can actually do things without pain i asked what it was and if they had more..he only had a few left over from a previous operation.ive been to 5hospitals 10 urgent cares for this ..pain ,,.mri ultrasounds etc they tell me nothing is wrong..with me and wont give me pain pills ..they think im a junkie who only wants drugs ..i only use a 20mg oxy once acday in order to be able to live normal..some days i need two..not often but i only y se it to go to work..no one will precribe me anything ..i do get it though and its expensive as hell 15$ a pill just to survive..i gavevup on getting help ive calkedcall the lawyer on tv ..get same result its only for women ..why ???its the same shit..thats in me i feel worse in pain after this surgery than i did having my intestines coming out of my belly..i cant get a good job cuz of drug tests..since i med myself illegally.so two hours of pay everyday goes to meds..if i had a ligit prescroption it only costs 50$ a month. ..im scared as hell to have surgery ever again .it does feel like the edges of this patch came off curled up and re attached to other shit…if anyone knows how i can get help in receiving pain management i need it i have 6 kids married. I need to work full time with good pay .i barely survive now that ive had this thing in me ..steve or anyone else. My email is jj.mcanally69@gmail.com. i reside in santa fe nm.at the moment..

Hi Jerry- You’re in my favorite town…. absolutely get in touch with Bruce Rosenberg,,,, he is hernia mesh injured and a wealth of info on getting a plan in place… he does this as educational outreach,,, nothing in it for him…. 954-701-5094… good guy,,, give him a few tries, he is overwhelmed helping hernia injured folks!! You will need your medical records..call bruce and thank you.

47. How do i find out exactly which one was used in me??i rememver him showing it yo me ither pink or purple

• Ian MacKenzie says:

Jerry,

The type of mesh/implant used should be in your surgeon’s medical notes/report. That is how I found what I have inside me. And your records belong to you so you just have to ask for them. Hopefully you won’t run into the problems that I did & wrote about above, where my surgeon all but ignores me, the office won’t return my calls, I couldn’t get my records but while at a specialist appointment last week, the specialist had my surgeon’s notes up from my last visit over a year ago and it said right in the first paragraph what type of mesh prosthesis was used on me.

Good luck …. and NO you are not alone my friend. I have to lay the way you do (with many many pillows propping me up, supporting me on all sides & under the groin) most every day, for a minimum of 18hrs a day. There are many more of us all around the Country than the Doctors want to even admit or acknowledge.

Best Regards, Ian

48. Jason Burnett says:

Hi my name is jason I had mesh put in me few years back I hurt in my groin every day still swells up to ! Not real good with big words but ! I know that real pain is real pain ! I live near charlotte nc. Dr s I have seen bout problem except one have been sticking me in growing with med &steroids that hurt u worse down the road ! Pain comes back in one day after surgery shots!! Wish I knew what to do

Jason- Please confer about your case with Bruce Rosenberg at 954-701-5094.. He is hernia mesh injured and has some experience in what steps to take next. not a referral service, just a hernia mesh injured guy who is very knowledgeable. ~ thank you, ja

• Rocky Elkins says:

Wow don’t have it removed. It made me way worse

49. Jen says:

I feel your pain!!!! I am a 42 year old female I had bilateral inguinal hernia repair with a mesh/plug. It has been four months and I have sever pain and swelling. I have had two very expensive sets of nerve blocks with minimal relief. My sergeon has referred me to a pain management doctor. It is very frustrating! !! I was told that the nerves will eventually repair themselves. I am wondering if this is true???? I have such sever pain that takes me down to my knees. The swelling is so sever I cannot wear my pants. My sergeon has ordered a ct scan…waiting for my insurance to approve the scan. This Obama care really sucks I have spent over 3,000 out of pocket since the surgery. The middle class people are really suffering! !! Hope you find some relief! !!!

• Ian MacKenzie says:

Jen,
      Sorry to hear about your issues with the mesh for an inguinal hernia repair. I wanted to quickly point out to you that I have read on on this site in a few different places that CT scans actually break down the mesh material, and also that CT-Scans & MRI’s can not see the mesh. I had a CT.Scan of my Pelvic region & groin over a year ago and the surgeon said everything looks fine. You can imagine how I felt when I read about CT-Scans after that. Especially when things only got worse after the CT-Scan (not saying the ct-scan was the reason) and haven’t stopped since. I have new pains and symptoms sometimes daily to weekly…

In an article on Dr. RAZ here @ MDND- the world’s leading mesh removal surgeon in Cali… I believe he was one who stated what I wrote above regarding CT-scans, as well as stating that a translabial ultrasound is the only thing that can see the actual mesh. Now I know why my surgeon told me after my CT-Scan that everything looked fine… Because he didn’t know, so he lied and when I called him on it, he has left me hanging with no thought to his oath of- Doing no harm, first and foremost to his patients…

I also read somewhere, I don’t remember where, but I read that the gamma rays from the CT-scan can also cause the breaking down of the mesh- leading to or causing more break down & migration of the mesh.
      The article on Dr. RAZ is here—> http://meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com/tag/translabial-ultrasound/

Anyone who is losing their mind, after losing their quality of life, loved ones, friend’s, family, and all those who say they will help because they understand- but then leave you alone to suffer… write to me – reach out to me plz… I don’t have answers. I don’t have the means to see doctor’s anymore. (no insurance & denied disability for the 3rd time in a little over 3yrs) … If you want to talk, put our heads together. I am open. I am lost & don’t know where to turn. And just in the last two months my symptoms have reached a whole new level of pain. But I sure would like to chat with anyone who feels as alone as I am. It’s not right for any of us to go through all this crap because of a 1/2 hour out patient surgery in which our doctors gave no informed consent… I’ve been alone through it all, and I’m really not sure I want to go on like this anymore. I’m tired – I hurt – I do nothing and my doctors know nothing. In fact here in Maine, my doctors have been trying to tell me I am in a unfortunate “one in a million” group… But when I found this site, I now know it, not to be true… vertigo112003@yahoo.com

Vertigo- Apparently there are many “One in a Million” mesh survivors. Doctors need to get onboard with the reality of what is happening among the mesh implanted community in my opinion. Thank you.

50. I had surgery on 6-18-14 for a hernia repair and the doc put a prolene mesh and a few days after I came home I started having problems with the mesh so I went back to the doc that did the surgery and he couldn’t order the ct scan so my pcp told me I had infection in my abdomen so put me on anabiotic’s and more pain meds bc I was having lots of pain and pressure on my abdomen and on my private area and they did the ct scan and my pcp ref me to another surgeon well to my surprise the hernia is still there the new doc had a shock look on his face and said what did that other doc do exactly and what did he do about the hernia and I said to my understanding he fixed it and he had a look like this is not fixed at all so know I’m scheduled to have surgery on Monday, September 29 of 2014 The doc said I’ll fix it and he doesn’t understand what the other doctor did because the mash is not worth supposed to be to fix the hernia so the surgery that the first doctor did was useless and all I am in is pain and suffering so what I’m asking is can someone help in reference to medical malpractice if I even have a case for that can somebody help me in reference to that because I have not worked in three months because of the surgery that I had in June so if someone can please direct me to the right person or persons that I need to speak with here’s my email me at espinozalaura40@gmail.com but the crazy part is after I went to go get my staples out and that was 2 days later the doc made a comment “” I hope I fixed it does those where his exact words he told me

51. Rocky Elkins says:

Wow do not have your meshing removed.Dr. Petersen sold me on this. The only one who benefits from this is the doctor. I am way worse off now.More nerve damage.I can not walk or stand now.And every time I saw him he was flip flopping on the things he told me.He said no chance of getting worse. Well he was way wrong.First he said the scar tissue would desolve and go away . after the mesh was removed. Then he said on the visit after surgery. The scar tissue will reseed. He said it takes 1 year for the full benefits.After the surgery he said 2 years.He should be a used car salesman.I put my faith in him.He fed of my desperation. He is all about the money.No help after I told him of the complications.Not even a clue.I was told by his office to go to the E.R.This is why doctors won’t remove mesh. It will do more harm then good..