Feb 2014 Spring is Right Around the Corner and so are Transvaginal Mesh Trials

Feb 3rd, 2014 | By | Category: Welcome

sunflower    We can only hope that  spring flowers will soon alert us that milder weather is right around the corner.  But that’s just a wish.

What we do know is that mesh trials are heating up around the country. Mesh News Desk will try to keep up with all of the goings on whether in federal court or various state courts. Please let me know if I miss one.

Write in and comment and I may add your name to my newsletter list…it goes out with regular updates! Thanks.

2014 should be a very interesting year and a make or break situation for plaintiffs and defendants.  Both sides are steaming ahead, both with victory as the goal, but for mesh-injured women and their devastated families, regaining their health would be the supreme prize.

That of course takes funding to find the right surgeon who is experienced in mesh removal if that is warranted. And that takes a courtroom victory.  2014 should be very telling in that regard so stay tuned please.

Jane and friends,  Crystal River, FL

Jane and friends,
Crystal River, FL

Your editor has recently been doing some thinking about plaintiffs and their cases which are in the public  domain.  Generally the rule of journalists is to err on the side of public disclosure but I’ve been thinking about that, especially after getting a reprimand from one woman who I have immense respect for.  Just because we can name names doesn’t mean we have to. So I think in the future, unless someone doesn’t mind, such as for a Patient Profile, I will just use initials.  No one’s personal medical condition needs to go public if they don’t desire publicity. I apologize for anyone who has been further traumatized by these transparencies. You are still able to look at transcripts with a Pacer account for those of you who are court watchers.  Any feedback on this thinking would be greatly appreciated!  ~ Stay well or keep trying to get there!! ~ Your editor, Jane Akre

As usual, the information contained here is not intended to substitute for any legal or medical advice you receive from professionals.

Donations are much appreciated to continue this coverage and most importantly from the industries who might benefit at the end of the day.  Trial coverage is available through arrangements with editor Akre,      janeakre@meshnewsdesk.  Here is you easy button!  http://tinyurl.com/mg922yo

Tags: ,

8 Comments to “Feb 2014 Spring is Right Around the Corner and so are Transvaginal Mesh Trials”

1. Bejah Notrettu says:

Jane, That looks like the world’s most comfortable chair and especially designed to hold one person and three little munchkins! Thanks for your cheerful greeting.

2. Stacy says:

Int Urogynecol J. 2011 Apr;22(4):439-41. doi: 10.1007/s00192-010-1298-7.
    Nerve injury locations during retropubic sling procedures.
    Fisher HW, Lotze PM.
    Author information

Abstract
    The risk of persistent pain following a retropubic sling is rare (1%). Nerve injuries have been suspected as a cause of persistent postoperative pain. We present two cases of postoperative pain thought to be secondary to injury or mechanical distortion of two different pelvic nerves. Visual exam, cystoscopy, and MRI studies demonstrated no abnormal findings. Manual examination produced site-specific tenderness thought to be associated with a specific nerve distribution. Each patient’s pain was first relieved with a local anesthetic block at the site of the pain. One patient required surgical excision of the mesh, and the second patient only required conservative management. Both patients’ pain completely resolved. Based on these and other reported cases, along with cadaveric dissections, we hypothesize that retropubic slings can potentially injure the pudendal, ilioinguinal, and iliohypogastric nerve branches.

3. mark says:

i am glad to see these companies may finally get what they deserve i know from watching my wife suffer over the years that you can not put an amount that will fix this. my wife had to have a bladder pace maker put in after moving all that they could take out of her in the end now she goes once or twice a year to get this thing adjusted then every five years to have the battery replaced and the list goes on but i do not know much because she has all but giving up on this with all the medical problems she has. all i can say is if you already have money this is proof that you can do what ever you want to people. SHAME

4. Kimberly Sepe says:

I was wondering how we go about finding out which MDL we are listed under. My lawyers office told me because I had an Aris TOT made by Mentor put in about 2007 that I fall under the Coloplast MDL 2387. However when I look at the list of plaintiffs on the courts web site I do not see my name anywhere. If I am under Coloplast’s MDL have you heard any updates ?
    Thank you !

Kimberly- First google so. district of WV you will find the court, On Page One you will see the MDLs listed. click on yours. High on the page you will see the numeric list of cases… click on that. You should be in there. That is how i get my counting of cases in all 6 mdls. good luck… and thanks for writing.!

5. Nancy says:

Dear Jane,

My case was filed in 01/2013 in State of Massachusetts Superior Court againts Boston Scientific transvaginal mesh. I have checked the MDL list and still do not see my name listed. Does that mean that I may be still in the State courts and not going to go to MDL?

Hi Nancy… thanks for writing. I really have no idea but your law firm should have an idea. Get your case number and make sure it is filed… not a bad idea for everyone. Get your case number and check up on the law firm. Find it filed in the court. It’s all public record. And just in case you didn’t know, all of the information about your injuries including your law firm is listed in your complaint. Seems some folks do not realize this information is public. We do have open courts in this country! ~ Let us know what you find Nancy….Stay well, jane a.