Pelvic Surgeon Dr. M. Tom Margolis on ‘Getting the Mesh Out’

Aug 26th, 2011 | By | Category: Feature, Medical News

Dr. M. Tom Margolis, Bay Area Pelvic Surgery

As a Pelvic Surgeon/Urogynecologist, Dr. Margolis helps women suffering from incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse and a variety of surgical problems involving the female pelvis. He has done mesh removal surgery from his office, Bay Area Pelvic Surgery, in the San Francisco Bay area. (Office website here).

On July 13, 2011 the FDA published its second and much stronger public warning regarding the use of transvaginal synthetic mesh for pelvic organ prolapse.

Dr. M. Tom Margolis - Pelvic surgeon/Urogynecologist, Bay Area Pelvic Surgery, says he applauds the FDA actions because he has always held the strong position that transvaginal placement of synthetic mesh of all types for prolapse and stress incontinence was dangerous and could lead to surgical mesh complications.  After helping scores of women suffering from side effects of implantable mesh, Dr. Margolis talked to MDND about his experience with placing and removing synthetic surgical mesh.

MDND: A woman is told by her doctor she has pelvic organ prolapse or stress urinary incontinence, what questions should she ask?

TM: “If she is seeking surgical treatment she should ask – How many surgeries do you do a year?  Do you know how to do anything other than mesh surgery?  Surgery should be the last choice and only for those who have tried nonsurgical treatments and failed or for those who don’t want to consider anything other than surgery.”

MDND: What are nonsurgical treatments?

TM: “Here I am suggesting nonsurgical options and surgery is my livelihood. But it should be considered the last option. Try exercise, kegel exercises or a vaginal pessary. They should go to the web and read extensively.  If you don’t study it well, you will not hear all of the different opinions. There are lots of people who are adamantly pro mesh. If you only go to their websites you will get the opinion mesh is the only thing.  Either don’t study it or study it very well.  Understand for everyone who is pro mesh there are a lot who really are opposed to it.”

MDND: Having interviewed a lot of people who have been sold on mesh they are told the same things – “It’s the gold standard”, “You’ll love it”, “It will fix you right up”, “Everyone is using it”.  What should a woman or a man with a hernia (which uses synthetic mesh for repair) do if they hear these words?

TM: “Tell them to leave the office immediately.  It is not the gold standard they are not going to love it. You are talking to a surgeon who has taken this (TVT Mesh) out more than 104 patients many of them numerous times trying to get this shxx out, and I’m just one guy. There is no reason to beat around the bush.”

MDND: Do you feel sutures alone are superior. How about biologic mesh?

TM: “Depending on what different areas have prolapsed. They can be repaired with sutures and biologics and sometimes synthetic materials that are not placed transvaginally. An abdominal or laparoscopic approach is where there is no vaginal incision and a synthetic may be used safety, but it should never be used when placed transvaginally.  Organic mesh (biologic) can be placed vaginally but synthetic should never be placed vaginally. It’s pure biology.  When surgery is done transvaginally, that is working through the vagina, that surgery is defined as “clean contaminated”.

“There are four states of cleanliness in terms of surgical fielding = clean/ clean contaminated/ contaminated/ grossly contaminated.  Vaginal surgery is by definition “clean contaminated”.  It is a cardinal surgical rule that you may not place an implant, a synthetic material, through any form of a contaminated field without significant risk, infection, mesh breakdown and failure.  When surgery is done in a clean field, that is abdominally, you may place mesh safely.

“I’ve done thinking close to 1,000 laparoscopic procedures with synthetics and I’ve had maybe two infections. It’s not impossible but in transvaginal surgery you can never sterilize the vagina, it’s always a contaminated field.”

MDND: But what about men who have also had complications with synthetic mesh, eroding, migrating?

TM: “For a hernia, I don’t know. Any foreign body implanted into human beings can be infected and cause horrible complications, like the prosthesis heart valve, that’s why orthopedic surgeons wear space suits, they are so concerned about contamination.”

MDND: What kind of complications have you seen in patients?

TM: “Immediate operative injuries and delayed post-operative injuries such as bleeding injuries to the bladder and bowel, then there is mesh infection and erosion. It’s really not an erosion, it’s a wound breakdown from an infected mesh. Erosion is sort of a watered down phrase the pro mesh people are using. The mesh gets infected the wound breaks down the mesh becomes exposed in the vagina. This process will cause pain, scarring, painful intercourse for the woman and man. The mesh will cause further contraction scarring and closing of the vagina, bleeding urethral obstruction, erosion into the bladder and bowel which I’ve seen.

MDND: With the aging of baby boomers will see more of this?

TM: “Tons of it. Horribly.  Mesh has been good for my business because I take it out and it usually involves more than one surgery, but I don’t want this, this is bad.  It’s all about the Hippocratic Oath – First Do No Harm.”

MDND: Have the surgical precut kits contributed to the problem?

TM: “This all started with the TVT in ‘96 which was based on the Olmstead study. The original mesh was problematic enough but it wasn’t anything compared to the mesh kits, TVT kits are ten times as bad.  They were their own death knell. They were so big and problematic. They got the attention of the FDA. They took a bad idea an exploded it.”

MDND: How are doctors trained in using the mesh kits?

TM: “They fly them to New Orleans and stick them in a cadaver lab. It’s a weekend course given to a general gynecologist who does two or three surgeries a year.  Fly them off to a weekend of wining and dining and a couple of cadavers then fly home and have the reps push them.”

Editor Note* Margolis says mesh kits are all transvaginally placed mesh or TVT systems.*

MDND: How do you feel about the 510(k) approval (for marketing)?

TM: “Every synthetic mesh should go through separate approval.  If they did one, it would never get approved. Look at the study from Stanford, a randomized study published in Obstetrics and Gynecology in August 2010.

See the study here:

“In the study, they aborted it after three months because there was a 15.6 percent vaginal mesh erosion rate with no difference in overall cure rates. The complications were greater than what the ethics would allow. This came from some of the mesh proponents.

“There were 32 with mesh and 33 without mesh. An analysis of the two groups found no difference with recurrence, and five women experienced vaginal mesh erosions.  The bulge of patients was cured in 93.3% of the mesh patients and 100% of the no-mesh patients. As a result, the study concludes with a question about the value of adding synthetic polypropylene mesh for the repair of vaginal prolapse.

“I think there are some devices that are similar enough it’s okay to piggy back or grandfather them in based on prior work, however, the sling and mesh manufacturers have abused with extreme prejudice the 510k process. With the ProteGen mesh, the FDA should police itself. If they take it off the market, the FDA should revisit all other devices that were approved based on that.

“The 510 (k) process is a reasonable one but you can’t just assume something is okay than have everyone jump on the bandwagon. It has to be monitored.”

MDND: Does that include synthetic mesh?

TM: “Transvaginal synthetic mesh should be pulled off the market. Anything that is designed to be placed transvaginally that is synthetic should be pulled off the market because transvaginal surgery is contaminated.

“I care for women who have been butchered by TVT synthetic mesh. They no longer have functional vaginas. Say a 35-year-old woman wants a little surgery to have a better quality of life after having two children only to end up with a nonfunctional vagina that will never be functional. Sexual relations are a good thing, a nice option. Even without sex it’s nice not to have pain and bleeding.”

MDND: Can you ever get the mesh out?

TM: “Maybe in the 50 percent range you can get all of it at least half of the time. It depends on the mesh kits used. The big ones? Forget it no way. They are impossible and I’m pretty good at getting those things out.  Trying to get mesh out of the vagina is like taking rebar out of a sidewalk and leaving the sidewalk intact – good luck! #

Background on Dr. Margolis from his website:

“Dr. Margolis earned his MD at the University of Kansas where he also completed his Obstetrics and Gynecology residency. He then completed The Pelvic Surgery fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta, Ga. where he held a faculty position as instructor. He subsequently held full time faculty positions at Northwestern University and Stanford University where he served as Chief of the Division of Gynecology and founder/director of the Center for Pelvic Surgery/Urogynecology.  He founded and directed the Center for Pelvic Surgery/Urogynecology at the Women’s Cancer Center of Northern California.  He holds an Associate Clinical Professorship at the University of Wisconsin where he practiced for two years before moving back to the Bay Area of Northern California in 2009.  He is also Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor at Stanford University.  He is an active mission surgeon traveling to South America and Africa on humanitarian surgical missions.

Dr. Margolis applauds the FDA actions because he has always held the strong position that transvaginal placement of synthetic mesh of all types for prolapse and stress incontinence was dangerous and could lead to surgical mesh complications. His position is based on core biologic principles of wound infection in contaminated fields (well known principles established in the surgical literature decades ago), his own review of the FDA MAUDE database which has reported mesh complications for almost a decade, numerous reports in the literature of major complications with mesh and his own personal experience removing mesh in scores of patients.”

Bay Area Pelvic Surgery Website here

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

79 Comments to “Pelvic Surgeon Dr. M. Tom Margolis on ‘Getting the Mesh Out’”

1. Beverly Jacquez says:

What diagnostic tools/tests can detect migration and/or erosion of the mesh? Can Dr. Margolis recommend a pelvic surgeon in the Cincinnati, Ohio region that is qualified to remove vaginal mesh from patients? I had the Ethicon/J & J TVT mesh sling implanted in 2008 and have constant pain in my groin/bladder area and lower intestine. My family Dr. ordered an MRI but that did not show anything of concern. The urologist that implanted the mesh ordered a cystoscopy but I have not had it done because the cost would be from my high insurance deductible. If the mesh has not become embedded into my bladder, I’m not sure what the cystoscopy will show. I don’t know what to do next, but I do know that I do not want to have this abdominal pain the rest of my life! A law firm told me I cannot file a lawsuit unless the mesh has “eroded.”

Beverly- Dr Shlomo Raz at UCLA has an ultrasound that can see the mesh. From my understanding an MRI will not detect it and neither can an X-ray. Its called the vaginal ultrasound machine. I can’t imagine he is the only one who has this capability. I will check with Dr. Margolis and get his opinion… Will get back here..Anyone know of a doc in Ohio with experience removing mesh? Thanks-jane a.

• Tambrea says:

I had Dr Vasvada . He is at Cleveland clinic. He removed part of the Eticon J&J , but could not get it all . I waited 6 mo and went back for the 2nd lift. American medical. Now I still suffer from pain, can’t empty my bladder, kidney functions are deteriorating from urin retention . Painful intercourse, bla bla bla could go on . You already know all that . Sorry for rambling. Love and blessing from Ohio.

• Janet B says:

Tambrea – it sounds like you are one of many women who have found that partial removals of mesh make things worse instead of better. There are two surgeons in the U.S. who have proven their ability to remove ALL of the mesh, even after other surgeons have said it can’t be done. Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis and Dr. Raz at UCLA in California. Please don’t give up. And please join our facebook support group (tvtno.org) to connect with almost 500 women who are going through the same thing you are. Feel free to contact me at janet4554@gmail.com if I can help. Take care.

Dr Margolis says in Ohio he recommends:

” Mickey Karram is the guy. He is excellent. Here’s a link for her, ( meaning you Beverly)

Hope this helps,

Tom Margolis, M.D.
      650-228-4052
      bapelvicsurgery.com

Beverly- Full Disclosure – You should know that Dr. Karram receives research support from Ethicon Women’s Health and Urology and is a consultant and speaker for Ethicon Women’s Health and Urology. Some people say they want to take that into consideration when choosing a doctor to remove surgical mesh.

• I am so sadden to read all the horrible stories of a lot of women suffering due to a mesh! I am also, concern and don’t know what to do, now? I have been dealing with needing a mesh for the past 12 years! I am now 41, and my weak bladder is getting worst and worst! It has taken control of my life! I want the surgery bad, but I am also terrified at the complications I might have. What should I do? Please help me!
      Is there a Doctor I can go to in the Carmel, Indianapolis area that could help me with out having to do the transvaginal mesh surgery? I can be contacted at: lightawick@yahoo.com. Thank you in advanced.

• Janet says:

Marisol, there are doctors (urogynecologists are best) who can do a ‘sling’ procedure using your own tissue, rather than a polypropylene mesh implant. As someone who has suffered horribly from a mesh implant for the past 4 years, I urge you to take the time to find a surgeon who can fix your problems without using mesh. Even if the majority of women don’t have complications, the 10% or so who do are in bad shape – these are not just mild complications. We’re talking about severe nerve and muscle pain, infection, erosion – really horrible, disabling stuff. And if it turns out that you ARE one of those 10% of women who have severe complications, mesh is extremely difficult to remove. I’ve had 7 surgeries to try to fix the damage it did to me. If I could go back, I would have taken the time to find a surgeon who could fix my prolapse without using mesh. Many women I know have gone to Dr. Veronikis in St. Louis – I believe he does repairs using your own tissue.

2. Debbie W. says:

I saw your post on Topix and wanted to let you know that I live in Ohio and have made several trips for removal of mesh to Dr. Phillipe Zimmern in Dallas, TX. One of the most caring physicians I have ever met…extremely knowledgable and talented.

Thanks for getting this info out there…this mesh is horrible! No one can imagine or understand unless you have been through it.

Debbie W.

Debbie W.- Someone has asked me to find your email so she can have a discussion with you about Dr. Z. and what you had done. She is legit and I vouch for her. She is not associated with a law firm or anything….She is an injured patient who lives in Texas and Dr. Z is the closest to her. She has really taken a leadership role in helping others so I would like to help her. I note you did not leave your email, Please feel free to contact me directly at jeakre@gmail.com if you don’t mind. Thank you!! Jane A.

• misty says:

Debbie, I was reading your comment about the mesh & the doctor you seen in TX that takes them out. I have a good friend who has the same issue as you with the mesh inside of her. She & her husband took a 12 hour trip to Dallas Tx to see this doctor about 2 mos ago in hopes of getting the mesh removed. THe doctor said it was one of the worse cases he had ever seen & wouldn’t do the surguy until the infection in her was cleared up. If you cut into her she could die. But we have not found anything that will make the infection go away, & my friend is going to call the doctor again & beg him to remove it. She will die with it inside of her. I didn’t know what your personal experienc was with this same matter but if you know anything we don’t can you please share what you have experienced. THanks Misty Henderson. My email is mhkelly_1@yahoo.com

3. Beverly Jacquez says:

Thank-you for taking the time to address my comments, Jane & Dr. Margolis. I am printing out this webpage and several articles about the mesh problems for my GP. She ordered the MRI and referred me back to the Urologist (Dr. Buffington in Cincinnati) who in turn advised me to get a cystoccopy to see if the sling had eroded into the bladder. The “tugging” I feel in my lower intestines and pain in my bladder area that permeates into my lower back, all tell me I need to see just where the mesh is inside my body. I am no doctor, but I hate to spend $1,500 on a cystocopy when it may not tell all I need to know. I will ask my GP about the sonogram. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1997, perhaps a mistake as perhaps it was then prolapse began which was the beginning of a downhill road…

4. Denise says:

Dr Margolis, I just want to thank you for speaking out so candidly and truthfully about transvaginal mesh surgeries, both here and at the FDA’s meeting this past Sept. You flew out at the last minute to speak for the literally FIVE MINUTES that you were allowed. Along with the injured patients- five minutes each. Thousands of injured women appreciate your honesty and boldness. Thank you for your surgical skills and for trying to help women out of the horrible, and many times, aboslutely unbearable, situation they unexpectedly, and often suddenly, found themselves in. Again, thank you!

5. Correne says:

Dr Margolis, I am wondering how much research has been done with severe foreign body reaction relating to transvaginal mesh. I had a hysterectomy Febuary 2009 & transvaginal mesh placed for urinary incontinence. Three weeks later I started breaking out in red raised itchy rash, blisters, and swelling that spread all over my body. My lower legs were the worse affected. Dermatology called it lichen planus. This was complicated by a MRSA infection. 2010 I had a motorcycle accident. Skin trauma caused a repeat outbreak of MRSA. September 2011 was my second outbreak of the same itchy rash that occurred after the mesh placed. This time my forarms were affected. I have skin discolarations/scarring from both outbreaks. It is almost resolved now with no MRSA outbreak. Other problems that I battle with is a very sensitive gut that seems to be getting worse. I cannot eat wheat/gluten since it feels like a rock in my stomach. Dairy sits like a rock and blows out like a rocket at the other end. Tomatoes make my gut very painful. Soy upsets my stomach. There are some more but these are the main ones. None food/gut problems were an issue prior to the mesh being placed. Currently I am having prolems with diarrhea, cramps,some stomach pain. My guess that there is another food that I need to delete from my diet. My skin is very sensitive. I need to wear 100% cotton clothes. I can tolerate a little bit of spandex mixed with the cotton. Healing time for minor abrasions is double what it was prior to mesh.

• Shirley Ryan says:

Hi,
      My name is Shirle and I just seen your story and would love to speak with you because I also have a skin condition very similar to yours. Please contact me sjryan157@yahoo.com or 713-305-5127.
      God Speed
      Shirley

• Jeanette says:

I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOI.G THROUGH
      MY BACK HAS BEEN VERY BAD SINCE the mess & BLADDER lift
      AFTER I went back several times because of bleeding they cut out a knot they cut out of large wire from off my bladder I’ve been having back problems so bad it’s been a mess
      Incontinence is constant soon as I stand up just pours out I go to 20 pads a day this is horrible this should not have been allowed I should have asked more questions this time I’m going to have a special meeting so I can find out more I been reading about it online looking at the videos Dr. Margolis has thanks for listing Jeanette

• Janet B says:

Jeanette, many of us are going through the same thing you describe. There are several support groups you can join from Facebook, the one I like best is tvtno.org. Or go to the website http://www.tvtno.org. Many of the women have had mesh erode into their bladder and vagina (I am one of them). Also many have other problems like back, hip and leg pain, autoimmune disorders (lupus, fibromyalgia, etc). Please join us in the support group, we can help you.

6. Paula Walker says:

What about mesh used in a hysterectomy?

Hi Paula- There could be various kinds of mesh used in a hysterectomy. They are made out of polypropylene, that is plastic, which some feel causes the problems. You would need to know what type of mesh was used, the model, make, lot number etc. That will tell you more then just knowing what it was used to treat.
      I can send you in a better direction with more information…. thank you!

7. Delia says:

would like to know if you know a physician here in San Antonio, Texas that you would recomend to repair
    a rectal vaginal fistula….

8. vanessa says:

I had an implant since 3/2010 and I am in pain 7-days a week and I have tried to address this situation that
    I have develope since my pelvic implants whom can I speak to

9. L.S. says:

Do you have anyone you could recommend in the Milwaukee/Chicago area? I went to Dr. Dennis Miller, a urogynecologist, who did a partial removal and 12 months later more is eroding with worse pain and tissue loss where first bit was removed. He’s a spokesman for Ethicon, too :(

Thank you for any help you’re able to provide.

• Karin Harrison says:

YES! I had two gynecare meshes installed, both a bladder sling and full prolift repair. Caused numerous problems and were removed by an excellent surgeon at Froedert Memorial Hospital/Medical College of Wisconsin.

She is a top urogynecologist and did a great job. It was not possible to remove all the mesh, but there were no major post surgical complications and I highly recommend seeing her.

Her name is Dr. Julianne Newcomer.

• Janet says:

Karin Harrison – where are you located, if I may ask? I had my mesh removed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I’m always interested in talking to ladies who live in this general area and have had mesh problems. Please email me at janet4554@gmail.com if you see this. Thanks! Janet

• Judey says:

Hi Janet,
          I finally found someone in my area who understands. I to had Dr. Dennis Miller remove my mesh that eroded inside my bladder 2012. I’m still having problems. Dr. Miller has not been disrespectful to me, but I feel like I need a second opinion. He said he did a radical mesh removal from inside my bladder. About 8 months later, I asked to have another cystoscopy done due to symptoms of urgency, pressure, incontinence. To his surprise, he could see that there is still tiny splinter mesh on the outside my bladder and there is always the possibility that it will erode to the inside of the bladder. My frustration, Dr. Miller doesn’t know if this is causing all my symptoms. He wants me to try other procedures to maybe relieve the symptoms. He told me my risk of damaging my bladder triples if I have another operation. I think I’ll see if Julianne Newcomer is in my network. If she is I’m going to get a second opinion. I would love to hear from you. Judey@att.net

Thank you.

• Judey says:

Hi Karin,
        I am very interested in finding out about Julianne Newcomer. I had mesh removed two years ago and I am having problems. You said you really liked her and would recommend her. My mesh eroded inside my bladder. The mesh was remove, two years later because of symptoms, I had a cystoscopy done. There is splinters of mesh on the outside of my bladder and could erode to the inside of my bladder. I am looking to find another doctor for a second opinion.

Judey Jacobs

• Janet B says:

Dr. Dennis Miller removed my Boston Scientific Lynx sling in 2010, after I had horrific pain from it being in my body for 5 months (it was put in by my small-town local urologist). Dr. Miller said he got ’95%’ of it and I’m doing better than I was when the mesh was still in. But he treated me disrespectfully. He implied that i was exaggerating my intense urethral and vaginal pain, implied that I was an overly-anxious, crazy woman, and insulted my husband and father who were both with me every minute after the mesh removal procedure. I’m not surprised to learn he is involved with one of the mesh companies. I believe Dr. Miller was one of the pioneers of the TVT procedure, and probably doesn’t want to admit that his precious mesh could be causing all these problems.

• Karin says:

Janet… he was my dr as well. And treated me exactly the same way. It was demeaning, humiliating and just awful. I feel your pain and am so sorry you had to go through that as well….. Good luck and hang in there!

• Janet says:

Karin, please contact me at janet4554@gmail.com if you see this message. Several of us who were patients of Dr. Miller are communicating back and forth, and we’d like to find others to compare notes. Thanks!

• Yarie says:

I am 10 weeks out from getting a mesh urethreal sling. I have a lot of sharp shooting – zingy and achey pain where the sling is attached and a burning irritated feeling near deep inside. I’m wondering if these could be early signs of complications.
        If anyone could share any insight that would be great. I thought by now I’d be in less pain. At my 6 week I was told full restrictions still for another 4 weeks. Now it has been 10 weeks and I’m no better.
        Also which diagnostic procedure is most accurate at detecting problems?

I don’t see my dismissive surgeon for another 4 weeks. I’m in Canada.

Yarie- What was your thinking? Did you feel you were fully informed about the potential complications? What were you told was the percentage of complications? Did your surgeon suggest using sutures instead? Does he/she even do that? Is your surgeon a consultant to the mesh industry in any way- speaking engagements, employed as a teacher…. No judgment, just trying to gather what happens during a present day mesh implant situation… even in Canada. Thank you for writing. ~ja

• Karin says:

Hi L.S.

Wondering if you had any luck with your 2nd mesh operation. Did you find a Dr?

I wrote earlier that I had two mesh removals (one for Gynecare TVT sling and then another when my Gynecare Prolift eroded). Now, 18 months later… ANOTHER erosion and another prolapse. Each surgery I had offered some help and some relief, but old issues resurfaced or got worse and new ones pop up. UGH! Does it ever end???

I hope you had better results. I wish with all of my heart and soul that I had never had either of these meshes put in me. The WORST part is the TVT sling. I didn’t even have any stress incontinence. My Dr., a paid spokeman for the mesh company, recommended we do it as a “preventative measure” as long as we were going in there for the prolapse because my mother, in her 80′s, developed mild stress incontinence and said it was completely safe. That he had done thousands of them with NO complications. I must be the 1,001 with the complication????

Preventive…. mind sharing the name of your doc. Many of them are compensated, which doesn’t meany they are bad docs, but you have to question any conflict of interest and a genuine interest in medical curiosity… ja

• Karin says:

Hello. Just saw your comment requesting the name of the surgeon who implanted the TVT sling in me as a preventative measure. That was Dr. Dennis P. Miller and was done in September of 2007. I had a really bad multiple prolapse and he installed a Gynecare Total Prolift. He said a urodynamics test must be done prior and that showed negative, but he asked about family history and I told him my mom had mild stress incontinence and he suggested the sling be put it as long as we were going in there. He told me the only complication could be installing the sling too tight, but he had do thousands of these and that had never happened. No worries, totally safe. I agreed based on that recommendation. What I find weird is that I recently saw a copy of my medical records for that surgery and it states a preop diagnosis of stress incontinence. But the urodynamics test showed negative and I did not present any complaints about any type of incontinence prior to that prolapse surgery. All my incontinence problems started AFTER the mesh was implanted. This improved greatly after surgery was done in 2010 to remove mesh and erosion of the sling. But then worsened again as time went on and in 2012 the Prolift itself also eroded and by that time I was quite a mess. The surgery in 2012 showed improvement in both pain and incontinence, but unfortunately now, in fall of 2013, I again have more mesh eroding and this time it is really bad… it is sharp and poking me! Ouch! And nearly all the problems prior to the mesh repair surgeries are again bad and some new ones have popped up as well so I need surgery. AGAIN. This mesh is such a nightmare. And regarding doctors warning of complications? Not for me. I was told both the sling and the Prolift were the best option and quite safe. Only complication I remember him saying regarding the Prolift mesh was that it could tighten up over time if I did not remain sexually active.. which at first WAS possible, but after a short time that became way too painful. It was even painful to put ANYTHING in the vagina. Even a simple pelvic exam. Or the applicator for the vaginal creme I was using. Horrible, horrible stuff. WOMEN DO NOT LET A DOCTOR CONVINCE YOU TO USE THIS MESH!!!!!

• Janet says:

Karin -

If you see this, would you contact me? I would like to talk with you. Dr. Dennis Miller was the doctor who removed my mesh as well, and 3-1/2 years and 7 surgeries later I’m still having problems. My email is janet4554@gmail.com. Cellphone 715.587.4554.

I know for a fact that it is not true that Dr. Miller had “zero complications.” That must be what they’re taught to say, because I was told the same thing. But you and I make 2 complications, and I bet there are many more. Dr. Miller told my husband that there is about a 10% complication rate with transvaginal mesh slings, and that any doctor who claims to have never had a complication is lying.

Hope to hear from you soon, Karin, I think you and I have a lot to talk about. Thanks – Janet

• Wanny Lara-Bush says:

I have had two mesh’s put in. The first one you could feel it coming through my skin and I had so much pain that it wasn’t even funny. Every time I lifted anything any time the I pushed or pulled anything. it was terrible to live with. I had it removed but she left the prongs in on cut out the mesh. She put in a second one. I have sever pain in my anal area at time it never last very long the longest time was 6 minutes but OMG you think you are dying. I have had a badder infections almost every 2 to 3 months since they have changed the mesh! I now read that this is a side effect from them leaving in the prongs when they remove a mess. I haven’t had sex since I had the fist mesh put it! No way I want this thing poking a man who inserted. This is absolutely runined my life in many way. I just want this thing out at this point but having then take it out and leave the prongs can do more harm then good and I heard that my insurance won’t cover the Doctor that knows what he is doing in this area and how to reconstruct after he takes out the mesh and all the prongs , this has been a major nightmare and believe me I would rather wear diapers than have these constant issues :(

• Janet says:

Karin, I am one of Dr. Miller’s complications, so he was not being honest with you. I left my e-mail for you in another message, but here it is again, please contact me. Janet4554@gmail.com

You are not alone!!!!

• Janet says:

Hi L.S. -

I noticed that you went to Dr. Dennis Miller for your mesh implant. He was the doctor who tried to remove mine in 2010, and I still have a lot of problems. How are you doing? I’d like to chat with you if possible, I’m interested in finding women in this area of the country who have had mesh complications like I have. Please e-mail me at janet4554@gmail.com if you see this. Thanks! Janet

10. Kim says:

I had a full hysterectomy and monarc urethra sling done Aug 2, 2011, have had horrible pain and complications ever since, been passed from Doctor, to doctor, to theraphy, to another doctor, finally I pulled my own records to see how my body has been through all of this, not good, I found out MY bladder is having problems, possible kidneys, and have lived with unbareable pain seems like for ever, I want this out and I would like to know who is the best in Portland, Or, I am now seeing Dr Rockove and he seems pretty good, from what I have read, I want this out all at once, don’t want tons of surgeries, to add more to the scare tissue I have now, I heard It’s like taking rebar out of cement and trying not to break the cement. GOD help Me.
    Please please respond,
    Thank you, and I send out all my prayers out to everyone that is having this problems and just getting pushed aside.

11. Jane Akre says:

Hi Kim-

I’m so sorry you are having this pain.

You may want to visit Kathleen’s suggestions on talking to your doctor. I’m glad you feel confident with your present doctor. Is he or she aware of the FDA’s 2 warnings, one in October 2008 and the other in July 2011? some people feel a partial removal complicates things further .. Thoughts anyone?

12. Handyman says:

As the husband of a woman who has had several partial removals. My personal opinion is all has to come out! Partial removals from what I have researched only leads to more problems more scare tissue and more surgeries. The sad thing is there are very few doctors doing entire removals. This site has tons of information that is very vital for you to read. You can read about us here or on http://www.tvtno.org which has many stories about us as we are currently establishing a nonprofit organization to help women suffering from this horrific nightmare. We are working closely with everyone we can to find the facts they need to deal with these horrible slings. This is a crime and many should be prosecuted for allowing it to continue. Even Jeffery Shuren of the FDA recently admitted that these bladder slings are a problem but yet Tuesday when the holiday is over more innocent women will be raped of their lives by trusting they are making a good choice not knowing the truth!

13. Handyman says:

Kim,
    When I said this site I mean HERE where your at Jane has compiled the best collection of information and truth about this mesh and without her we would all be so lost!

14. Aleta Patrick says:

Do you know of a doctor in Houston Texas? I had a complete hysterectomy, tvt sling, and colon repair in 2003 ( the original uterine resuspension failed the year before- sadly after many opinions and 2 years before I had tried exercises, and pessary to no avail). Currently I am 40. I am experiencing recurring pelvic infections (bladder and vaginal). I have also had some difficulty completely voiding. I have had a cystoscopy with no noted erosion. I feel great as long as I am on antibiotics but 2 weeks later I feel feverish (though no noted temperature), sweats (not hotflashes because I don’t get them when I am on antibiotics), fatigue, difficulty thinking. To say I am afraid is an understatement.

15. Dari Smith says:

Is there a doctor
    in Michigan that can do a full removal of the Monarch Bladder Sling?

16. Chandi says:

I had a bladder sling put in dec21,2012, two weeks postop I began to burn, a searing burning pain, and it never let’s up, my urologist has told me to wait it out.that I can’t be in pain from the sling .that its fibromyalgia, today he said it was just a coincidence that the pain started after the sling, gave me pain pills and antidepressants.. Am I crazy? I need to go for a second opinion.. I saw that there is a doctor in Dallas that does removal..that’s three hours from where I am, but worth the drive

• Gail Cameron says:

There is a Dr. in Frisco Tx. just north of Dallas. Her name is Aimee Nyguen. She is a uro/gyn who will be very helpful in determining what to do about your mesh. She was willing to remove all the mesh for me, but advised against it as recommended partial removal and had surgery to loosen the mesh in the pelvic floor. Said we can always remove it all but should be conservative and try to reduce pain without full removal as all would prolapse again probably. She is wonderful and can be found on google for her website. God Bless and my prayers are with you!

• Janet B says:

Chandi if you still have your mesh in, please don’t listen to any doctor who tells you it “can’t be the mesh!!!” I listened to that bullshit for 5 months, and am paying for it now. I should have had the mesh totally removed the minute I started having severe pain, but instead I listened to my doctor who did not have my best interests at heart. Do research. You will find that partial removals cause more harm than good. There are so, so, so many health problems associated with mesh – had I known of any of these, I never would have agreed to have my sling put in. Please check out the facebook support groups TVT-NO and Survivors & Fighters of bladder, vaginal & Hernia mesh. In my experience the pain will only get worse until the mesh is completely removed.

• Karin says:

HI Chandi

My implanting doctor also told me that the mesh or the surgery itself could not possibly be responsible. I don’t recall having pain that I didn’t relate to postop pain at that time (although I sure do NOW!), but did have severe problems with incontinence that I did not have prior to surgery. He made me feel like a fool. An idiot. A hypochondriac. He told me I had always had this problem and when I asked him how is it possible to pee all over yourself into your slippers and all over the floor with no warning and not KNOW it!!?… he said my “proplapse had masked it.” And then gave me a sample of and prescription for Enablex and suggested I attend his incontinence clinic. And I left in feeling stupid and awful and went home to cry. I came back later with other problems and same result. I never returned and assumed he must be right and just lived with it until it became unbearable and I KNEW something just wasn’t right and sought out a different doctor who helped me. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!!!! Find a different doctor. Get some help. I also was diagnosed with fibromyalgia post-mesh surgery. Not sure if that is related, but see an awful lot of women complaining of that after having transvaginal mesh put in. Either way…. you need a second opinion as soon as possible! You are in my prayers and I am sending healing thoughts your way.

17. Bev Richins says:

Hi. I am so hopeful and praying that you may be able to help me. I am , and have been struggling for years with awful chronic pain. First started with endo 20 years ago. After multiple surgeries(lap) to laser treat, a couple of children and a few miscarriages, I resulted in a hys in 2006. At this time my doc removed one ovary, tubes, and uterus. She also did a bladder repair using Boston scientific mesh. I have struggled since day one with pain, resulting in a second surgery exactly 1 year to remove my second ovary. This solved only some of the pain. I went a few years just dealing with it thinking I had nothing else to remove. Then in 2011 another doc said it had to be my cervix. Had that removed with major complications. Then after another of complete suffering(worse than ever before) I started seeing a new doc to assist me. I have been thru multiple (7-9) trigger point injections both abdominally and vaginally(at the cervical cuff-excruitiating) monthly. After 11 months of this treatment along with physical therapy, we(my doc and I) decided that surgery was the next option to try to repair what was done by my last surgeon. This was done almost 3 months ago, and the pain is is not solved, in fact more severe than ever. I know that they have to dissect my bladder when doing the vaginal cuff repair or the removal, so I have wondered if that is part of the problem?! I still am unable to do much and can’t return to work still. None of my docs have ever mentioned that my problem could be the mesh!? I have just settled in the fact that this is my life sentence, and it is not fair. My relationships with my husband and children are suffering after years of constant horrific pain. Please help if you can with your thoughts. I do not live anywhere near you, so would love to hear from you on any references in UTAH for a urogyno with expertise and hopefully the equipment to help get my life back.
    Bev

• Melynda says:

Bev –

I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive reading about mesh complications and I am a mesh survivor myself. Your symptoms sound like classic mesh problems. Unfortunately, most urogynecologists are under the $pell of mesh manufacturers and AUGS; additionally, nearly every ObGyn defers to what urogyns have to say about the mesh. You most likely will not find much help from urogyns but from a urologist who specializes in female urology such as Dr. Shlomo Raz at UCLA. He is the one who removed **all** of my full transvaginal mesh kit (anterior and posterior) nearly eight weeks ago. The mesh had eroded into my bladder, rectum, vagina, vaginal cuff, cervix, and was beginning to infiltrate the uterine artery & vessels surrounding the cervix. It had adhered to bone in several places, too. Dr. Raz has done over 600 removals of mesh and is one of the most sought after surgeons in this field. Do what ever it takes to get in to see him – don’t let ONE more doctor do anything to you until you have seen him!

18. Nancy Hutchinson says:

I live in the Philidelphia area and would appreciate some names of doctors in my area or on this coast that are Urogynecologists that are experts in removing vaginal mesh. Thank you in advance for any info you can give me.

• Sharon Kelly says:

Nancy, and Dr. Margolis
      I live 50 minutes outside of Phila in NJ. If you happened to know of or Nancy, if you have found a Dr, that specializes in removal in this area – would you please share the name with me. Thank you Sharon

19. Jo McMahon says:

Does anyone know of a Doctor in Northwest Indiana or Chicago, IL. area that does mesh removal and repairs. I had a TVT Sling with mesh done in 2002. I am now having a lot of pain and burning. It feels like razor cuts. Every time I get to active the pain gets so bad that I can’t even walk.

• Lesli Hill says:

I have had complications from the mesh as well from a 2008 implant posterior and anterios. Last August, I was sent to Cleveland Clinic by my physician in Kansas City. He had removed as much mesh as he could but the right side had migrated to my thigh and attached to organs and he would not attempt that. He recommended Dr. Howard Goldman at the Cleveland Clinic. At one time, Dr. Goldman advocated partial mesh removal, but now advocates complete removal. He did an amazing job . It was a brutal surgery, but successful as far as getting the mesh out. I won’t say that I am back to normal, whatever that is, but my quality of life is greatly improved.

20. Jo McMahon says:

I was also wondering what test really show if the problem is being caused by mesh. I hate to waste time and money on test that won’t show what we need to see. Already had a vaginal ultrasound, it showed nothing. Thank you for your time.

21. Chelsea says:

Hello, I have had a boston scientific mesh sling in since 2010 and have had nothing but problems that have gotten worse over the last 6 months, I had a urologist do an exam 2 times and said my mesh was eroding into my vaginal wall, but wouldn’t take it out, stating that he doesn’t do that. My question to Dr. Tom Margolis is; does he know of a doctor in Utah that will attempt to take my mesh out besides Dr. Yvonne Hsu. I was not really impressed with her at all. I am in desperate need of getting it out, I have nausea, severe cramping, my back and buttocks hurt. I have bleeding after intercourse and several other side effects. Please help me and recommend me to someone in Utah. Thank you.

22. Carmen says:

I had a total hysterectomy in July 2011. I was unaware that mesh was used, but have had complications since the surgery including inability to void bladder. I had a foley catheter for 9 weeks post surgery, infections, etc.
    The doctor that did the surgery has since retired and I’ve seen another doctor due to pain and spotting. She can see eroding mesh during regular pelvic exam. I have had numerous infections and am still unable to empty my bladder fully, though I am have now added incontinence to my list of issues, not to mention the pain and cramping involved. I’m having urdynamics testing done tomorrow.
    I’m in Roanoke, VA but willing to travel anywhere there’s a doctor that knows what they’re doing for mesh removal. I’m going through a divorce now, partially as a result of all of my health issues and when that’s final, I may not have health insurance. I need something done SOON. Does anyone know of a good surgeon?? Please help me. I can be reached at carmella225@gmail.com.

23. Earline Frazier says:

I had my mesh and sling put in for my bladder a couple of years ago. Now I am having bladder infections. What test is need to show if any thing is wrong? can you tell me a name of a doctor in the Branson and Springfied Mo area that does this surgery that you do? Of course as well as you. Earline

24. Heather Post says:

I am looking for a Dr in the Kansas area to remove my mesh. Actually I am willing to travel anywhere as long as i have a Dr who knows what they are doing. I had mesh put in during my hysterectomy in 2009. I have been having issues with extreme pain that keeps getting worse with time. Sex hurts, peeing hurts, having a bowl movement hurts, i can’t hold my pee sometimes and wet myself, i have been battling vaginal infections as well, shooting pains radiating up my abdomen. I also think my vagina is becoming prolapsed. My Dr told me in the beginning when i asked him about the mesh issues that were going on he said it was a patent issue. I was dumbfounded when he said that. Patent issues dont cause pain and trauma. I think he thinks Im an idiot. He has been injecting my vagina with steroids saying its the scars from the hyst that are hurting me. It is not, i truly believe its this mesh and i want it out. I wanted it out a couple years ago when this all started but my Dr is not even wanting to talk about it. I dont know if this has anything to do with the mesh but anesthetics no longer work on me so i have had to endure these shots and a hemorrhoid removal in his office with no numbing (along with a root canal and crown at my dentists OUCH!). Im sure my screaming terrified everyone in the building. I have known this man my entire life but feel as if he just doesnt care about whats going on and isn’t listening to me at all.
    Last night i started urinating a little blood so i went to emergency care thinking i had a bladder infection but after testing there is none. Once i told her i had a sling in she said i needed to go see a urologist and to not go back to my GYN. She put me on antibiotics anyway and gave me some medicine to numb my bladder (which isn’t working). I really really need help and don’t know where to turn, its so hard living with this. Its not only effecting me, its also effecting my family. I have barely worked for the past year and a half. Im having trouble maintaining and not able to be the mother and wife i should and want to be.
    I’m taking a shot in the dark putting this out there but here is my email if anyone has any information that can help. hdockstader@yahoo.com Thank you and i wish everyone well

Yes it appears you could get more caring advice. I will send you along to patient advocates who have been there. Unfortunately competent doctors are not as plentiful as the ones who put it in. ~ ja

• Heather Post says:

Thank you so much Jane!

I finally got a hold of my Drs nurse today. She said he looked in my file but it didn’t say what brand of mesh I have. He is going to have the surgical center pull my records Friday when he is there to see what it is. Then he is going to recommend a urologist. If this has to be removed though I’m not going to play around with it. I’m going to call either Dr Zimmern in Dallas ( he is closest and he studied with Dr Raz) or Dr Raz at UCLA. I wont accept a partial removal or an incompetent doctor. I’ve had enough.

• Lynn says:

Heather, you need to get your hospital records as well as your doctor’s office records. The hospital records will have the name of the medical device manufacturer and device number on it. I have been through two (2) partial removals and still have pain. If I had this agonizing journey to do over again, I would go to a doctor that removes all of the mesh the first surgery – no matter how far the distance.

• Heather Post says:

Thank you Lynn…any information helps! After reading so many stories of women having to have multiple surgeries I’m positive I’m not taking any risks and heading straight to the top. I gathered my family and after a long discussion, I will be going to Dr Raz if i can get in to see him since he’s so busy.

I’m going to update a little too if that’s ok…

I talked to My Drs nurse again and she says I don’t have the mesh. I have urethral tape. I have looked it up and its no different and causing the same problems. Why are they insisting its not the tape when clearly all the symptoms i have are pointing right to it? IS THERE A DIFFERENCE?? Please tell me if any of you know.

When i went to emergency care Monday she did check me for UTI and there was none but she said she was going to culture it to see if anything came up. She called me Thursday and said I had some strep infection that shouldn’t be in my urine. She thinks the tape is infected and causing this. She switched me to a different antibiotic and urged me to make an appointment with a urologist here in town. I have and my appt is Monday morning. Since you have to have special equipment to see the mesh i don’t know what kind of help the urologist here can give me. I will take anything right now though if it gets the ball rolling.

I wanted to add maybe someone ( or me.. I’m not pushing it off on anyone) should make a Facebook page (if there isn’t one already) since its such a big social media site and I’m sure it would attract tons of women who are suffering and don’t know about this site. I found this page through pinterest. Just an idea.
            If there is one on there already does anyone know what its called?

25. Heather says:

It might also help with a count of how many women this is affecting.
    When this mess is all said and done I’m sure the number of women hurt will be staggering.

Heather… it’s difficult to know.. Figure at least 50k cases filed in this country… other countries as well are amassing cases.. But just in the U.S. 50k, you could probably double that to at least 100-200,000 women who are having symptoms or will have and are being told it’s in their head. Ive heard from one expert one million women in the U.S. If 100,000 a year have problems for the nine years or so it was implanted, that may not be impossible. And let’s not forget it is still being used, though less I hear. This is all just a guestimate though. Anybody else?

• Janet says:

Heather, and everyone else here, please join the facebook group called “tvtno.org” – I am an admin of this group, and it is made up of 415+ women who have been injured by mesh implants like you and me. Also, join the MMND facebook group, as it is a great source of information. The difference is that the MMND group is “open” meaning that anyone can see whatever you post. The tvtno.org facebook group is “closed” meaning that anything you post can only be seen by group members. For me personally, I like being a member of BOTH groups for different reasons. MMND gives tons of great research, articles, and information openly to everyone who has an interest in mesh complications. This is a very valuable thing. But TVTNO.ORG’s facebook group is more of a support group, where you can ask absolutely any question, nomatter how personal – without fear that others can see the details of your posts.

26. stopmeshimplants says:

Heather,
    Jane has a Facebook page for her website Mesh Medical Device News Desk. It has been there awhile and she has several hundred followers. If you research the mesh you will see it has many names and tape is one of them. So sorry to hear all that you are going through. Many of us have been there with this realization and it is so sad. Jane is an amazing supporter and this website is like no other. Keep reading and ask more questions. Take care.

Thank you… and don’t forget to use the search function. Also click the headlines of the categories ie “Legal” “FDA” and the stories will fill in.

27. Stephanie Mazzeo says:

I have a different type of dilemma. I am not having any complications (Thank God) but just had my second TVT for SUI. The first was done in 2001 and the records are long gone. I had two problems this time around – stress and urge incontinence. My surgeon did an Anterior Repair AND inserted a second TVT. I am doing great and my symptoms have improved quite nicely.
    Here is my issue – the doctor told me that he could not find my first TVT. He is a 4th year Res. working under a Pelvic Floor Disorder Specialist – two docs – two sets of hands and no mesh!!!!! I have visions of mesh particles floating around in there, but the resident assures me that is not the case. He has suggested two reasons…
    1) During the healing process, my body tissue grew around the mesh…
    2) The first Surgeon used an absorbable mesh which to me sounds absurd. Why use an absorbable material when you need the support forever.
    I don’t want to worry myself over nothing, and I don’t want the young doctor to think I don’t trust him. He did an awesome job and has a wonderful future ahead of him. My boyfriend thinks I shouldn’t worry, but it’s not his body!!! I can’t find anything online about “disappearing” TVT’s. I could use some input!!!!

• stopmeshimplants says:

Stephanie,
      You know your body. I can tell by your questions you are uncertain about what you have heard. I think this website is proof that you need to ask more questions. Unfortunately, we all have proof doctors have not been honest with us and we need second, third and sometime fourth opinions from the experts. Ask for some referrals to the doctors who know and understand mesh and no one else. You will be anxious until you know for sure. Best of luck to you.

• Stephanie Mazzeo says:

The day after I posted my comment, I suffered another prolapse. I actually felt it happen. It felt as if something moved down through my vagina and I could feel a bulge at the opening. At the doctors office the next day, he could not feel it or see it. I took his word that nothing had gone wrong with the surgery and that all was well for now. I saw him the day after noticing the bulge and had not had time to notice any other problems. With in a day, I started having problems with bowel movements, and if I sneezed or coughed while sitting, I could actually feel it move.I did a little research online and discovered that I now was suffering from a Rectocele – a prolapse of the rectum into the vagina. Mostly noticeable when sitting.
      When I went back to see the Doctor for my 6 week post-op visit, I asked him to look while I was in a sitting position. He was able to confirm what I found online. The good news is, I can live with it or have it surgically fixed. Even better news – if I decide to have him fix it, he does not suggest using mesh. he would do the same for the posterior repair that he did for the Anterior repair I had 6 weeks ago – cutting the posterior wall of the vagina and pulling it together tighter, and stitching it.
      For my first surgery my doctor had suggested removing my Uterous. I declined because I could not afford to take
      the time from work that I needed for recovery. But that is all I have left to prolapse, so if the Rectocele is repaired then the uterous is coming out too, this time.

28. Bev thompson says:

I had a partial hystorectomy in 2007 I know the did some kind if mesh but my biggest problem is I have recurring Utis and they are all from ecoli I have had 2 cystoscopies and no fistula was seen I know my bladder has fallen again but iam not incontinent the only thing that was not removed were my ovaries I have the uti every 3 or 4 weeks I get a urine test about a week after treatment and usually that’s okay but 2 or 3 weeks later I give another specimen and that comes back positive again this has been going on pretty much since my hystorectomy I even had a few antibiotic infusion iam not in constant pain but when the infection is not treated right away
    I get rectal pain and pain goes down the inner right thigh it’s always on the right side could you tell me what you might think is the problem I see a urologist and a gyn doctor and I also have a colorectal surgeon I live in the Dover delaware is there a doctor in this area that you could recommend thank you for your time

Bev- It would be good to know what kind of treatment you received… ie the mesh,, despite that some docs don’t call it mesh, it will be in your records. My suggestion is to retrieve those documents, nurses notes too.. Repeated UTIs are very common side effect of a mesh implant… in my opinion…

29. K.W. says:

Janet, Karin and L.S.,
    You 3 aren’t the only ones damaged my Dr. Dennis P. Miller in Milwaukee, WI. I had a TVT mesh several mos ago on a Fri, and never saw him when I woke up from my surgery nor did he speak to my family friend. He headed to a different facility that day to do more procedures that was 15-20 min away. When I woke up, I was in immediate throbbing 10+ pain from one of the incision sites. The nurses couldn’t get the bleeding to stop from the one throbbing incision site plus urine was coming out of it.
    The nurses were using direct pressure to try to stop the bleeding. My procedure was completed by 8:30 am and I woke up at 9:30 am.
    The nurses eventually tried to get me up to void for the first time and I so tried, but couldn’t, it was excruciating pain. As I was walking from the bathroom to the bed, I almost passed out and a nurse caught me.
    The nurses were trying to help me in anyway possible with lavender oil, etc. I even overhead them saying something about me being taken back into surgery. I don’t know where that came from. There always seemed to be 2 nurses in the day surgery room with me. All the staff there I know were concerned by their comments, looks and whispering.
    All the nurses could tell me for the pain was “we are waiting on doctor’s orders.” Three hours in 10+ throbbing pain. At 12:30 pm the anestheologist came in and gave me hydromorphone IV which began to kick in at 12:45pm, ahhh, and then I had the nursing staff bring my family friend back, since I was stable for the first time in three hours from the pain.
    My family friend stayed 15 min with me and went to get lunch and the IV med knocked me out at around 1pm for 2 hours.
    Sometime during that two hour span they put in a Foley catheter. When I woke up at around 3:15pm, for the so called day surgery, I was immediately in that 10+ throbbing pain. I had to wait 2 hrs for pain control again and this time it was 2 tabs of the hydrocodone, but still no Dr. Dennis P. Miller around to examine me.
    At around 4:30pm, 8 hrs after my surgery, they sent my family member home and admitted me to stay overnight in the hospital.
    Dr. Miller did stop by, 24 hrs after the surgery, Sat, to see me for the first time and said whatever happened was a “fluke.”
    I wasn’t dismissed till 4:30 pm the following day while still on pain killers. Feet too swollen to wear shoes out of the hospital.
    When I got home I noticed blood in the urine bag.
    I called Dr. Miller the next day, Sun, to mention about the blood in the urine bag and he didn’t respond to that and I mentioned the feet still being swollen. He said they keep the IV in me too long in the hospital.
    I spoke to his NP, Liza on Mon and told her urine was leaking profusely from the catheter and it was clogging up. I tried for a few hours to correct the problem by switching bags and told her about the blood in the urine. She couldn’t make sense of it all.
    At my follow up, Dr. Miller, 100% forgot who I was and I had called a couple of x’s before that follow-up about throbbing pain from that incision site and was kept being told it was “normal.” Pain con’t as mos went on and traveled down the thigh.
    With great hesitation I went to see Dr. Miller again, now several mos later, just to say I went there and just hoping for some understanding and compassion. My experience with him was the same as yours, he was insulting, belittling, didn’t remember that I was admitted for complications and denies complications in his notes. Interesting, he thinks no complications, when he wasn’t even there for me after my surgery, since he was gone from the hospital before I woke out of anesthesia.

• Janet says:

Three of us (all patients of Dr. Dennis Miller) have now gotten in touch with each other via email and are comparing notes about our experiences. If any other Miller patients are here and would like to join our conversation, please email me at janet4554@gmail.com. Thank you.

Janet- That is a very good idea and is a model that could be applied to all doctors who are having adverse events after mesh implants.