A Trip to See Dr. Raz at UCLA

Jun 30th, 2012 | By | Category: Op-Ed

June 30, 2012 ~ A woman from Texas has just returned from a trip to UCLA to have an initial consultation with Dr. Raz, the surgeon who is helping so many from around the world with mesh complications. She writes:

“Please understand I am completely aware that women out there are relying on the information I provide, but also understand that I am like you. I am racked with the physical and emotional pain from a mesh implant. My blog reaches many, many women who need understanding, help and answers. Sometimes all they need is someone to believe that their symptoms are the cause of their physical breakdown. I do believe you. I do know the hell that this product has caused in your life. I have listened and read thousands of stories, so bad that you would believe I made them up because how could they be true? How could this wonderful country allow the mutilation of women’s bodies of a product that no testing was done except on us. If you think about it, how can they test mesh bladder slings? You cannot put a sling into a rat now can you? So we are their guinea pigs. We are the women of the world who are left to suffer and be ignored. So when you read this blog, understand that mine and almost all the other mesh blogs are written by women victims of bladder sling mesh. If they or I do not answer you immediately either by email or phone call, understand it is because we too are suffering just like you and have good and bad days.

“Now to my consultation visit with Dr Raz.

“If you are like me and have to make a decision to travel to see this doctor at UCLA, you will have a few hurdles to jump first. First there is the financial side of doing this whether or not you have insurance or Medicare like me. I just became eligible this past June 1supst/sup which is why I used my acquired knowledge by women who have gone through this ordeal and chose to go to Dr Raz. To fly and cover the other expenses I sold my older car to make it happen. Not a lot of money but a way for me to make the first two trips. I could no longer drive and although it was paid for, it still cost tax and insurance and sat in my driveway getting older. So it had to go. I am telling you there because I was raised in hard times and my mother would constantly say “Where there is a will, there is a way”, so first you must find your will and then find a way to get help.”

14 Comments to “A Trip to See Dr. Raz at UCLA”

1. Sheila smith says:

Will dr raz just except Medicare as payment for the consult and surgery , I’m hoping ,thank you very much

2. Connie Gayer says:

Hello, my name is Connie Gayer. I had the mesh put in, in 2006. I have been cramping a lot and have decided to get the mesh fully removed. I have read a lot about it and i am very nervous. back a few years ago i went back to the doctor that put it in and told her i had a hurting in my right side. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the mesh. She said that would have nothing to do with it. In the last couple of years i have gained wait in my stomach and have not been able to lose it. I feel like i am 9 months pregnant. I have gotten a lot of gas since this has been put in. My question is, has anyone else had any of these symptoms?

3. Connie Gayer says:

I am going to see Dr. Raz in july of this year.

• dj.newbie says:

Yes Connie, I too have so much gas and too much pelvic, back, leg and left side pain. Went completely downhill since mesh implant. I am at my witts end and so is my husband. I have been doing a lot of research on the complications due to mesh implants and if I last long enough (which sounds so mello dramatic) but that’s how I feel, I will get this mesh out of my body. I wish I could turn back time and had done my research before I had the surgeries. I am sure thousands of women feel the same way. I am in the process of trying to locate someone that has even heard of the translabial ultrasound. Last week I made a few phone calls to different radiology departments in my state and in another state and they never heard of it. Well take care and God Bless.

• Connie Gayer says:

I have made my trip to LA and we loved Dr. Raz. He is so passionate about his work. I am having mine removed bye him in Dec. This is who i would recommend. He has done many removals so we feel very confident. I will let you know how it goes. Good luck on yours and i hope and pray you can find a way to go see him.

4. Brina Luckings-Maurice says:

Dear Connie Gayer and Gail McDonald

Forgive the intrusion from the other side of the pond…. but like you I have been struggling with pain and complications following surgery in 2006. I’ve had 6 operations and nobody is taking responsibility for the debilitating effect this is having on my life. I would love to hear back from you with regard to Dr Raz… I am desperate for help.

I would welcome any feed back from women who like me continue to suffer.

Thank you so much.

Brina

5. annonamous says:

Please anyone does dr. raz except medical?? I am 28 yrs old an in complete misery this has ruined my life ab i need help from a good doctor who has experince in this area of mesh.

6. Brooklyn Godin says:

Why would anyone want to see the physician who invented the mesh that has destroyed so many women’s lives. I was desperate and traveled from Northern California to UCLA after a urologist in San Luis Obispo told me to go to UCLA and have the physician who invented the mesh remove it. When I went in for the surgery I insisted that he be the one to perform the surgery; instead, he had an intern remove only a portion of it in the center of the urethra. It was shrinking and it was horrible. I still have the mesh on both side and having intestinal problems because the mesh is rubbing on other organs. Try going to Mayo clinic or a female doctor who really cares about women. I still plan to visit him to get more information on my surgery and the name of the mesh manufacturer. Physicians protect physicians and will not help women in who are suffering. The only alternative is to sue the mesh manufacturers. Let’s all find out the manufacturers and list them. By the way, they tested the mesh on only a few animals and then started using it on women.

7. Brooklyn Godin says:

Find a urologist that specializes in reconstructive urethra surgery. Do a lot of research before you select a physician, because even Dr. Raz would not remove the mesh… during the follow up after a portion of the mesh was removed, the intern told me it was very dangerous to go in and remove the entire mesh appliance. Dr. Raz is getting very old so that could be the reason why he had an intern remove it instead. Meanwhile, all of the intense pain is reoccurring, my intestines are swelling, and I have to seek out more information to have more of the mesh removed.